Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

25 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Not really. First, if they want stop it from making too much money they will just stop its run, like they did with the first one. Second, the CCP sees Avatar differently compared to other Western blockbusters because the film really made a cultural impact there. For example, it was the CCP that asked Cameron to re-release Avatar in China last year, and that’s according to Jimbo himself.

People here don't seem to get that the CCP can pull a film from theaters if they so choose lol, and I think they would do that even for Avatar if they deemed it to be doing too much.

That said I don't really know if the conditions to do too much business are even there. It certainly really helps that theaters are re-opening, but even with the openings they are still under restrictions and you'll be at risk of getting quarantined if you go. A lot of folks probably don't want to take that risk right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Does anyone know the date for the 4K HDR release of the first movie?

I need to rewatch it before Friday and I've been holding off until I get a 4K copy.

The remasters (Avatar 4k) date is not announced, looks like March next year or so. https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1670392803

You'll have to watch in 1080p 💀

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Does anyone know the date for the 4K HDR release of the first movie?

I need to rewatch it before Friday and I've been holding off until I get a 4K copy.

There is good unofficial release (better than blu-ray quality vise). You can pm me for info if you are interested

Edited by adaros

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

is it upscaled by AI? I'm intrigued.

Was searching long time for any version that would beat official blu-ray.
I have leaked DCPrip and one AI 4k upscale version. Checked like 10 different upscales and only one is kind of 'true' to the blu-ray source with same colors and details and just add more sharpness to the image that help when watching on 4k tvs. Problem with 4k upscales are either they are revisionist(color changes etc) or way too over-sharpened and show signs of sharpening artifacts, so good upscale need to be done with taste and respect to source material I would say.

I have official blu-ray collector's edition but video quality of it is not that great tbh. Leaked DCPrip has way more details which blu-ray was stripped off.  

Edited by adaros

3 minutes ago, eridani said:

Question concerning A2 projections: is every HFR projection going to be essentially variable  HFR? (Because of that "double certain frames that require effective 24fps rate" hack?)

How it works is when the screening is HFR, it plays the whole film in 48fps TECHNICALLY. However, it plays each frame twice so 90% of the film appears as if it's 24fps. The action / high movement scenes appear in 48fps.

So yeah, you don't need to worry about different types of HFR.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

Speaking of HFR, with the amount of negative reactions to the HFR from the early reactions and reviews, it would be a annoying dose of irony if one of the films selling points actually puts people off rewatching this movie, and giving the film the gross it would of got without it.

I'm still hoping that my cinema just has the standard 24fps version when i go to see it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Speaking of HFR, with the amount of negative reactions to the HFR from the early reactions and reviews, it would be a annoying dose of irony if one of the films selling points actually puts people off rewatching this movie, and giving the film the gross it would of got without it.

I'm still hoping that my cinema just has the standard 24fps version when i go to see it.

It's not a selling point though, they don't advertise it at all.

It's also not even a format, it's a tool used to change the way motion looks to reduce judder in action scenes in 3D.

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's not a selling point though, they don't advertise it at all.

It's also not even a format, it's a tool used to change the way motion looks to reduce judder in action scenes in 3D.

It’s a selling point for tech nerds like me, but I still wish theaters would say if it’s in HFR or

not. I don’t get why on Jackson movies they did and now they don’t besides a couple of the chains like Regal. It’s frustrating as hell. Unless they are afraid it will turn away people. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Avatar(2009) re-release in 58 CINITY cinema in China 12.12

And another thing,Recently the Three-body problem animation series release and many people compare these two masterpiece(Three-body problem and Avatar) in China,Already feel the hype of sci-fi genre 

Edited by Bruce

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Avatar(2009) re-release in 58 CINITY cinema in China 12.12

And another thing,Recently the three body problem animation series release and many people compare these two masterpiece(Three-body problem and Avatar) in China,Already feel the hype of sci-fi genre 

Three-body problem - isn't this Netflix series?

1 hour ago, adaros said:

Was searching long time for any version that would beat official blu-ray.
I have leaked DCPrip and one AI 4k upscale version. Checked like 10 different upscales and only one is kind of 'true' to the blu-ray source with same colors and details and just add more sharpness to the image that help when watching on 4k tvs. Problem with 4k upscales are either they are revisionist(color changes etc) or way too over-sharpened and show signs of sharpening artifacts, so good upscale need to be done with taste and respect to source material I would say.

I have official blu-ray collector's edition but video quality of it is not that great tbh. Leaked DCPrip has way more details which blu-ray was stripped off.  

Thanks for this. Found myself a DCPrip for tonight.

• Like 1