Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Is that pretty good for pandemic era?

They are, at least to me. Let's wait for the weekend, though.

To be honest, even a 200 M finish in China is a blessing already. 😅 I didn't think this would get released there.

I just hope this earns enough for us to see AVATAR III.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Market shares are strong, including some at the 99% level (Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, notably). On a like-for-like basis at today’s exchange rates, it’s estimated that the first day overall results are 124% ahead of the original Avatar, 70% above Top Gun: Maverick, 13% higher than Jurassic World: Dominion, 12% behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens and 23% behind Spider-Man: No Way Home.

As we reported yesterday, China had sneaks on Wednesday and Thursday, in an unfortunately reduced number owing to Covid issues in the market. Not included in the total above is the RMB 37.7M ($5.41M) that previews have clocked there. The film still rules presales for the weekend, but, again, as stated yesterday, we are taking a cautious stance. 

Elsewhere, and not included in the total Wednesday number above, Korea added $2.6M on Thursday for a $5.8M running cume. The market on Wednesday had the 2nd highest opening day for the month of December ever.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-opening-china-global-international-box-office-1235198763/

So things are looking good but China could be better. Hopefully in the weeks to come.

I got back from seeing this and WOW! just fucking WOW!!!!

This is Cameron & Team at FULL power, there are elements from all of his movies in Way of Water. Some of the sequences were unbelievable and that final act (holy shit), no one does action like Cameron, NO ONE. This movie got my adrenaline pumping big time and I'm an old bugger, also my tear ducts still work...... 

Out of the theatre rating: 5/5 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 12/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, stuart360 said:

Do you see now why i was so adamant that 2bil was locked he he.😇

I have also gone over the run using different numbers, and i just couldnt get it under 2bil.

Hah hah Stuart and XXR Brothers.. Thats good news to hear :)

I mean, to be 124% ahead of the original in this pandemic era is great, right? I have already tempered my expectations for this after the terrible state of box office in 2020. It was NO WAY HOME and MAVERICK that gave me a little hope that this could still do relatively well.

2 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I got back from seeing this and WOW! just fucking WOW!!!!

This is Cameron & Team at FULL power, there are elements from all of his movies in Way of Water. Some of the sequences were unbelievable and that final act (holy shit), no one does action like Cameron, NO ONE. This movie got my adrenaline pumping big time and I'm an old bugger, also my tear ducts still work...... 

Out of the theatre rating: 5/5 

👍👍👍

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

They are, at least to me. Let's wait for the weekend, though.

To be honest, even a 200 M finish in China is a blessing already. 😅 I didn't think this would get released there.

I just hope this earns enough for us to see AVATAR III.

Focus on 2.3- 3b ww my brother. Mind over matter works . The same glad it got the release in China as well. Australia  should be huge also

It's a slow start in most areas, but too early to be pessimistic. Let's not spin this being ahead of the original to be good. It's a sequel, of course it's going to open higher. It's going to have nice drops as faces zero competition going into the holidays. As I said all along the trailers were all pretty mediocre for this, so WoM needs to lure people into the cinema.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

4 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It's a slow start in most areas, but too early to be pessimistic. Let's not spin this being ahead of the original to be good. It's a sequel, of course it's going to open higher. It's going to have nice drops as faces zero competition going into the holidays. As I said all along the trailers were all pretty mediocre for this, so WoM needs to lure people into the cinema.

Some of us have been saying get expectations under control and now we see why

4 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Some of us have been saying get expectations under control and now we see why

Th film hasnt even opened yet. In fact none of us are probably going to have a true idea what the potential is until the 4th weekend as it will be the first 'normal' weekend it will have.

All the negativity around here is exactly how it was with the first film back on Mojo when it was about to launch.

Even the biggest AVATAR fans in this thread never expected massive comic book style opening weekends, we did expect good legs though, and it will be a while until we know if thats true.

TBH Cameron is at fault. He said that the film needs to make 2 billion to break even. Which means that fans foolishly expecting 2.5-3 billion. There's no doubt there will be an overreaction whatever happens this weekend. Probably a 475-500m WW start. Which is decent. It could go anywhere from there. WC final going to deflate its Sunday. Buckle up, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

TBH Cameron is at fault. He said that the film needs to make 2 billion to break even. Which means that fans foolishly expecting 2.5-3 billion. There's no doubt there will be an overreaction whatever happens this weekend. Probably a 475-500m WW start. Which is decent. It could go anywhere from there. WC final going to deflate its Sunday. Buckle up, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Cameron's comment was also hyperbole, but yeah, I agree with all your points. Uncharted waters ahead.

7 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Th film hasnt even opened yet. In fact none of us are probably going to have a true idea what the potential is until the 4th weekend as it will be the first 'normal' weekend it will have.

All the negativity around here is exactly how it was with the first film back on Mojo when it was about to launch.

Even the biggest AVATAR fans in this thread never expected massive comic book style opening weekends, we did expect good legs though, and it will be a while until we know if thats true.

I remember those times. 😂😂😂

We were mocked to infinity. And then the second weekend happened. And the third. The fourth. Fifth... 😂

I was one of the very few who said it would win the year. Not TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN. Not THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON. And definitely not 2012. 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Some of us were predicting those huge final grosses long before Cameron said those comments, years before actually. And yes Cameron shouldnt really of said that (although he didnt actually say the 2bil thing), but i feel he was maybe trying to get the hardcore fanbase to do multiple viewings.

Fact is we know he was given 1bil to make the sequels,and we know he's shot 2, 3, about a third of 4, and according to Stephen Lang he's also shot the finale to 5, so obviously he hasnt spent the ,majority of that 1bil on A2 alone, which he woud need to if the film really needed to make 2bil to break even.

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I remember those times. 😂😂😂

We were mocked to infinity. And then the second weekend happened. And the third. The fourth. Fifth... 😂

I was one of the very few who said it would win the year. Not TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN. Not THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON. And definitely not 2012. 😂

After seeing he film i actually said it would challenge Titanic. I didnt think it would gross 750mil, and i certainly didnt think it would gross 1bil more worldwide.

It was after seeing that scene with Neytiri holding human Jake and saving him, you could just sense what was going to happen.

Edited by stuart360