Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, GipJo said:

I think you're being optimistic really. The first wave is happening in big cities right now, which won't end until at least until early January. It will go worse from here, as the spring festival travel rush hits, smaller cities will embrace the full impact of first wave, and the major movie goers from small cities and travellers from big cities won't go to theaters especially when they're gathering around their elder family members for Chinese New Year. Chinese is very big on family and their safety, I for one will not take the chance to see a movie so that my 80 years old grandma might catch covid from me and possibly dying. I think many Chinese share this sentiment. Unless it got extension through February and March, I have little hope of it recovering.

It will get extension of course. And if the situation you describe is true, those Chinese New Year blockbusters especially Wandering Earth 2 might just withdraw and push back to another release date as well. Imagine after Wandering Earth 1 made over 700M USD, the sequel may end up doing less than half of it. It will be desastrous for China movie industry.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nydedan said:

It will get extension of course. And if the situation you describe is true, those Chinese New Year blockbusters especially Wandering Earth 2 might just withdraw and push back to another release date as well. Imagine after Wandering Earth 1 made over 700M USD, the sequel may end up doing less than half of it. It will be desastrous for China movie industry.   

I doubt TWE2 would move. Native movies can get extension whenever they want, even if it opens soft on Chinese New Year, it can still have great legs for months ahead. And worst of all? It's a spectacle sifi movie just like Avatar, and Avatar just can't compete with it, if they exist in theaters at the same time, Avatar will lose a lot of those demographic especially in small cities. Also politically it would look bad that on the biggest holiday the only movie that is playing in theaters is a foreign movie, I don't think CCP would like that idea.

3 hours ago, nydedan said:

Peak delusion to think that they'd pass up the biggest holiday of the year. 

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean - The FIRST avatar re-released during the pandemic and still made over 50M in china, pretty sure that was available digitally. But I don't see why China would grant it a re-release unless they truly have nothing else they can put on those screens. This isn't a local film.

That didn't, they took it down months before the re-release lol.

6 hours ago, Verrows said:

I hope so Sheldon! If anyone can render tracking and traditional box office rules irrelevant, it's James Cameron.

Tracking is stating 450-550m ww opening and 150-170mil. So things look very good considering the Cameron legendary repeat business is coming.

" Lets Get it Done!"

7 hours ago, Verrows said:

I hope so Sheldon! If anyone can render tracking and traditional box office rules irrelevant, it's James Cameron.

Yep and fans of Ice work as a director have never wavered!

200+ m ticket sold between his last 2 films on the domestic side and over 400-500 mil tickets globally. 

Thats why our movie will break the rules.

" The Avatar Pandora Family is a Fortress!"

On 12/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, kayumanggi said:

👍🏼 (have run out of likes 😅)

Any numbers brother Kayom for Friday?

" Its look like You!, This is your Avatar!"

Avatar for 450-550M WW opening with a 7x plus overall Multiplier.

Lets Go 3 billion ww and beyond!

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

The reason Avatar 2 RT score is so low, compared to expectations, is because the Big Jim pissed off too many Blogger Bros with his Cape Comments. 

It wasn't because of Cape. He actually didn't say anything has about either marvel or dc. It could be related to testosterone statement he made even then critics may have not really enjoyed the movie due to different reasons.

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

It wasn't because of Cape. He actually didn't say anything has about either marvel or dc. It could be related to testosterone statement he made even then critics may have not really enjoyed the movie due to different reasons.

Cameron is known as 'superhero movie hater' online for years similar to Scorsese, whenever he mentions CBM in any interview online there was outrage from CBM fans. 

5 minutes ago, adaros said:

Cameron is known as 'superhero movie hater' online for years similar to Scorsese, whenever he mentions CBM in any interview online there was outrage from CBM fans. 

Years ago is different thing though. He recently gave interview with CBM related guy and Cameron said to that he likes both Marvel and DC and he's not gonna talk about it. I don't get where some people are getting impression that he hates it. 

https://youtu.be/k8BCDxRZpn0

Edited by Nero

Just now, Nero said:

Years ago is different thing though. He recently gave interview with CBM related guy and Cameron said to that he likes both Marvel and DC and he's not gonna talk about it. I don't get where some people are getting impression that he hates it. 

https://youtu.be/k8BCDxRZpn0

Yeah people using this as a reason for the movie not performing like their sky high expectations is hilarious!