Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Yeah. China is not something to rely on right now, but hey, even a 150 M finish is okay to me. I'm still surprised it got to open there. I'll take whatever it gives. Maybe just re-release it in the future when everything is back to normal.

Yeah that would definitely  be a move they could make. Heh.

If we have a wonderful walkins and repeat business we may start off with 145-150+ m OW.

Tgm 126. But Tgm definitely  doesn't have that rewatchable factor of Avatar 2. A big domestic can definitely help overall gross.

So much for those 60-110m predicts for A2.

Keeping my fingers crossed that actuals  hit 150-155m or better for the ow Kayom.

What's your thoughts?

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

This movie just received the most overrated launch for a sequel in movie history. I read about 52K screen all over the world, even more than End Game and a new record. 

Saying that the movie is great and people will came. They just need time. People remember avatar but they didn't need a sequel, they feel like they didn't need it, then people will say "the movie is great as the first and the story becames bigger and interesting and the movis is not bad but has a reason to exist" and they will go to see it. 

3B? No

2.5B no?

2B? Yes, almost. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Yikes what's showing in Japan. That's bizarre to not be off to a powerful start in Japan. Hopefully it legs out some numbers. Guess Japan has some big films there?

I believe it's competing with strong local movies, and the exchange rates aren't helping either. Let's wait and see.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

This movie just received the most overrated launch for a sequel in movie history. I read about 52K screen all over the world, even more than End Game and a new record. 

Saying that the movie is great and people will came. They just need time. People remember avatar but they didn't need a sequel, they feel like they didn't need it, then people will say "the movie is great as the first and the story becames bigger and interesting and the movis is not bad but has a reason to exist" and they will go to see it. 

Please now close this whole official thread.

Avatar 2 officially has no reason to exist, vale9001 said so and we need to respect everybody! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

3B? No

2.5B no?

2B? Yes, almost. 

2.5b maybe

3b ww still on the table but doable. I think it's a bit early to say what's out.

His film can get a 7x multiplier. 950 + 1.7b OS 

2.6b. And what if A2 hits over 1b domestic and repeat biz os hits 2b??. So sorry other scenarios can happen. All depends on how many countries super perform

6 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

I’m still hopeful because the overall audience response is pretty good… but if it opens globally with ~$450M it would need incredible legs to match expectations. Miracle number 2 is needed.

Stay positive rem Avatar had 10x. Titan 21x.

If a2 gets a 7x domestic.

And 6x abroad. 2.5-3b ww can still happen. 

Naysayers were calling flop when Titan had a 28 m ow. But it went on to win the weekend for 12weeks straight and have huge weekdays.

We have many ways to win or rather smash NWH Ww.

Saw this last night and as a massive Avatar fan and a staunch defender of the first movie for YEARS...

I was very disappointed with this sequel to the point where I was pissed off for the majority of the film 😢

I've never even watched the first Avatar in theaters let alone in 3D, I saw it online years later on a mere laptop screen and I still think it's miles MILES (no pun intended) better than Avatar: The Way of Water. Almost all the things I loved about the first movie were severely downplayed in this movie despite the endless references and callbacks (which honestly pissed me off even more) and the things that I was indifferent about in the first movie took center stage in this movie. I really missed the epic scale, mythological story telling, spirituality and a strong sense of community that blew me away in the first movie. Even Eywa felt like a completely different concept now. It just didn't click with me at all aside from Zoe Saldana's acting in only one scene. My dry eyes were dazzled by the glowing things but my heart was empty.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

2 billion will be extremely hard. 1.6 billion is the target at this point.

How it's starting at 140-155m. Needs only a 6-7 multi to hit 900m-1b domestic. 2b is definitely  still the target. Maybe you forgot his last 2 films multipliers. 77m winds up with 760m. And avatar had big competition. Every movie moved away from A2 lol. I like Avatars chances at 850-1b range 

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, adaros said:

Please now close this whole official thread.

Avatar 2 officially has no reason to exist, vale9001 said so and we need to respect everybody! 

Man the fact the sequel of a movie with 750M domestic (13 years ago!) is opening with 130M is telling you people feel like " I liked i Avatar, cool 3D but i don't se any reason for a sequel" LOOOOOL. Just accept that

If this movie would have been terrible and panned with this start this movie would have faild to make 350M domestic.

But Cameron made a great work to reinvent the saga and let you feeling the movie has a reason to exist, Avatar has a sense to exist as saga so the world of mouth will be great again and this is still not gonna make 750M but 550-600 are possibile.

And people even will wait for a third movie. 

Edited by vale9001

9 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Everyone I know that already saw the film was ecstatic about it. Best cinema experience ever, and I can confirm. But you get this experience only with top notch conditions. That’s the tricky part.

Pandora I feel will get it done! Crowd reactions were on real atjust our 2d  showing.🏋‍♀️

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Man the fact the sequel of a movie with 750M domestic (13 years ago!) is opening with 130M is telling you people feel like " I liked i Avatar, cool 3D but i don't se any reason for a sequel" LOOOOOL. Just accept that

If this movie would have been terrible and panned with this start this movie would have faild to make 350M domestic.

But Cameron made a great work to reinvent the saga and let you feeling the movie has a reason to exist, Avatar has a sense to exist as saga so the world of mouth will be great again and this is still not gonna make 750M but 550-600 are possibile.

13 years and 145-160m ow you mean. But it's a Cameron film that could get 7-8x legs. Math my brother math. 😂 

Just now, Sheldon Cr said:

13 years and 145-160m ow you mean. But it's a Cameron film that could get 7-8x legs. Math my brother math. 😂 

You should learn better math.

when you make a 20M opening 80M total (so 4x) is not even this incredible kinf of legs.

If you open with 150M 4x legs is a lot difficult.

Of course the biggest the opening is the hardest is to make a big multiplier.

You can expect the same legs because 1) this is still a sequel 2) 130M are not 77M 

13 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Everyone I know that already saw the film was ecstatic about it. Best cinema experience ever, and I can confirm. But you get this experience only with top notch conditions. That’s the tricky part.

I know but the good thing. There are many many premium 3d spots now, so those ticket buyers are coming for more. Wish no one had to wait for their best formats to be avail though. SMH. We need more imaxes and 4dx locs.

16 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Like I said. I don't argue with folks who have no logic. Just rem I told you this is a Cameron film . Not your black adam or Ds2. Hope you wake up when this hits 800-1b domestic. Last 2 films reached  200+ mil tickets sold just on the domestic side with competition. And you think A2 with less competition and 95% audience score ...That the max is 600m?. Good luck with those math skills. Heh

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating

20 minutes ago, Nero said:

Not really. Competition is there but slam dunk is no mha or ds. I think people are simply not interested.

After i watched avatar 2 i knew it would do bad in japan. Why? Avatar 2 is about

Spoiler

whale hunting

And guess which country is biggest

Spoiler

whale hunter

in the world? Yepp japan. Avatar 2 is big f*** you at everyone who does it.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dignam said:

After i watched avatar 2 i knew it would do bad in japan. Why? Avatar 2 is about

Hide contents

whale hunting

And guess which country is biggest

Hide contents

whale hunter

in the world? Yepp japan. Avatar 2 is big f*** you at everyone who does it.

Isn't it Norway?