Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Well I can sort of see the 5 quadrant thing. There is that demographic that almost never goes to see movies in the theatre. My sister is that example, she thinks movies are a waste of money and time, actors are overpaid, blah blah blah. She doesn't watch movies at home much either, they just don't hold her attention. It is not enough of a social activity, so she prefers live theatre and concerts.

She has seen exactly three movies in the theater in her lifetime (she is in her late 30s). The first was the Hand That Rocks the Cradle, where she basically decided that movies are not for her. And the 2nd and 3rd movies she went to a movie theatre for were, yep Titanic and Avatar. And she is not a rabid James Cameron fan either, she is aware of Terminator but she's never seen Terminator or Aliens films. Her reasons for seeing Titanic and Avatar were that they look like they are worth her money and sitting in a theatre for so long.

• Like 2

Well I can sort of see the 5 quadrant thing. There is that demographic that almost never goes to see movies in the theatre. My sister is that example, she thinks movies are a waste of money and time, actors are overpaid, blah blah blah. She doesn't watch movies at home much either, they just don't hold her attention. It is not enough of a social activity, so she prefers live theatre and concerts.

She has seen exactly three movies in the theater in her lifetime (she is in her late 30s). The first was the Hand That Rocks the Cradle, where she basically decided that movies are not for her. And the 2nd and 3rd movies she went to a movie theatre for were, yep Titanic and Avatar. And she is not a rabid James Cameron fan either, she is aware of Terminator but she's never seen Terminator or Aliens films. Her reasons for seeing Titanic and Avatar were that they look like they are worth her money and sitting in a theatre for so long.

yep the xfactor group is exactly the people cameron has that seperates him from even steven spielberg. Also his ability to always deliver an ultimate wonder type movie with his big epics.
  • Like 1

This is dropping more than AOU. With all its flaws, AOU still has charismatic actors playing characters audiences love. Avatar has neither, so unless Cameron brings in Schwarzenegger for a role or creates some kind of new virtual reality technology to watch the movie, it's gonna sink like that boat that hit an iceberg.

How do you know that audiences don't love Neitiry and Jake? Do you have a scientific poll that you made, or is it more of the same ole "Avatar was only a big hit because of its shiny colors" spiel?  I love the characters in AVATAR, and that's why I am watching the sequel.

• Like 1

How do you know that audiences don't love Neitiry and Jake? Do you have a scientific poll that you made, or is it more of the same ole "Avatar was only a big hit because of its shiny colors" spiel?  I love the characters in AVATAR, and that's why I am watching the sequel.

...or because of the "it is in 3D" argument.  :lol:

• Like 1

Avatar is not an Internet fanboy movie, it's a GA movie and that's why it gets so much hate online and yet grossed 760 million dollars. The GA will show up for the sequel. I can't wait for Cameron to drop all your jaws and prove once again (how many times has he proved this already? Seriously you'd think people would clue in by now) why he is king of the world. The Internet just doesn't get his movies, the mainstream everyday average joe does and he will show up for Avatar 2.

• Like 5

How do you know that audiences don't love Neitiry and Jake? Do you have a scientific poll that you made, or is it more of the same ole "Avatar was only a big hit because of its shiny colors" spiel? I love the characters in AVATAR, and that's why I am watching the sequel.

amen cochoflies and i know cameron fans will push avatars bo mightveven further. We will be in the numbe1 all time spot again. The wait just has cameron fans salvating for more. I want mmichelle Rodriguez's trudy back as well choco. Watch them faint when we do avatar ww numbers with avatar 2s os numbers alone or better. Then ppull off 800m and beyond ddomestically

Avatar is not an Internet fanboy movie, it's a GA movie and that's why it gets so much hate online and yet grossed 760 million dollars. The GA will show up for the sequel. I can't wait for Cameron to drop all your jaws and prove once again (how many times has he proved this already? Seriously you'd think people would clue in by now) why he is king of the world. The Internet just doesn't get his movies, the mainstream everyday average joe does and he will show up for Avatar 2.

hell alot of granparent era moviegoers going to be. Flocking this too matt. There is cameron his legions of fans and everyone else falls to the wayside. ;-)

Fuck the internet geek fanboys! They're a butthurt minority that bitch and moan because GA don't fap on their juvenile niche properties that are even more derivative and full of cliches than Avatar ever was.

• Like 4

Fuck the internet geek fanboys! They're a butthurt minority that bitch and moan because GA don't fap on their juvenile niche properties that are even more derivative and full of cliches than Avatar ever was.

Amen its true fans behind Cameron and his talent and heart he puts into his films and a level of technical and visual mastery that has no equal!.

Amen Dash my brother.. When all is said an done most of these niche films are forgotten or not talked about in a good light.. Titanic , Avatar, Aliens, Terminator and the Abyss for example for evey idiotic nerd fanboy coming up with reasons to hate Camerons work, theres 50 people that think the man is one of the greatest things to happen in movie making period.

They will burn and we will just sit there and smile in Victory!!! 

Cant wait till we push the limits of box office even further. :) Plan to see Avatar 2 5-8 times just for grins and do my part in getting past that 760M of the first :). Heh

Ok, I would not be so harsh in the assessment, but I have to agree that a lot of the internet Avatar "hate" that I see tends to be from fans of other Sci Fi properties who somehow resent Cameron's AVATAR for, in spite of not being "hard Sci Fi" or "true Sci Fi," being so successful. Sure, they do parrot the established internet narrative that was built ("AVATAR is unoriginal, nobody cares about its characters, its success was all about the 3D and the technology"), but I feel that all this "hate" is an internet phenom.

amen cochoflies and i know cameron fans will push avatars bo mightveven further. We will be in the numbe1 all time spot again. The wait just has cameron fans salvating for more. I want mmichelle Rodriguez's trudy back as well choco.

UGH. Don't remind me, man! I cried when Trudy Chacón was killed. I really did. I was so rooting for her!!

Edited by cochofles

Damn, don't usually see this side of you.

I think it's more the people who fancy themselves classy film buffs trashing Avatar than the comic book fanboys. The fact that it made so much money makes it a bigger target.

Damn, don't usually see this side of you.

I think it's more the people who fancy themselves classy film buffs trashing Avatar than the comic book fanboys. The fact that it made so much money makes it a bigger target.

I'm harsh because those are a fickle bunch of hypocrites hailing mediocre properties and derivative juvenile shit on pedestal just because GA don't connect with those feeling like beautiful snowflakes and bash a property that is actually a scifi geek wet dream featuring all the genre staples they fap onto otherwise when you break it down.(Alien planet and animals akin to a RPG videogame, spaceships, flying dragons, big mechas, exotic half-naked princess, epic battles between aliens and humans, bombastic action, the hardcore videogamer analogy linking the Avatar and his pilot and so on)

It became a target of comic book fanboys because it made more dough that any of their manchildish empowerment fantasies triggering nerd rage and jealousy. Pseudo scifi elitists as well (you know the Dr Who fanatics that pretend to be Scifi exegetes trying to sound smart after reading a Buzzfeed article that says Avatar ripped off Pocahontas and go "duh" when you talk about Poul Anderson LULZ) because somehow their precious minds couldn't indulge such an uneven and simplistic story becoming all of the sudden scriptwriting experts. And those Internet movie buffs hailing one trick ponies like Neil Blomkamp, the wannabe Cameron, as scifi saviours. Bitch, please...

I mean I know a girl who is a self-proclaimed "geek" fan of all that crappy Internet memes sub-culture (Rainbow Dash, J-pop, Kawai and all that stuff) that actually told me Sucker Punch is a great movie and thought Avatar sucked just because Sucker Punch was a nerd pandering fantasy despite being a non-sensical CG mess of self-indulgence.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 3

Well one down 2 to go. Avengers 2 potentially could get upset by fast7 and Sw7. Holy shit. Batman and supes coming up. Lord camerons unheard of 5 quadrant master piece looks to beat rhem all domestically and by miles os wise. A scary thought if furious 7 can increase so much, what will james camerons sequel to 2.8b worldbreaker do. Keep in mind cameron ia tge creator of the world biggest sequel increase and the best sequels in history. Aliens, terminator 2 judgementday. Omg 3.5b or much more is coming!!

kal, when i talked about how avatar is a 4 quadrant picture, i was referring to female/male;young/old. more importantly, "quad" means 4. there are only 4 quadrants. It's ok buddy, we'll get you the help you need.

605px-Cartesian-coordinate-system-with-q

• Like 1

Titanic was hated for years online, it was only in the last 7 or 8 years where the hate went down and people would gladly come out and say how much they liked the film.

It just seems that the bigger something is, the more its hated. Unless its geek/nerd related like superhero films for example.

I don't really care what geeks and nerds think about the film, many of them are still crying that AVATAR passed lord Nolans TDK. The general audience is what makes films huge and the general audience liked AVATAR.

• Like 3