Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I never hated Titanic. I still much prefer it to Avatar. Someone else nailed it when they said 'Titanic used special effects as a vehicle for the story, while Avatar used a story as a vehicle for special effects.' I think this sums up why I struggled to get emotionally engaged with Avatar, though with the legs it had a lot of other people clearly didn't.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

I never hated Titanic. I still much prefer it to Avatar. Someone else nailed it when they said 'Titanic used special effects as a vehicle for the story, while Avatar used a story as a vehicle for special effects.' I think this sums up why I struggled to get emotionally engaged with Avatar, though a lot of other people clearly didn't.

Titanic was hated for years by a lot of people online (remember those early Mojo years?), it still is on some forums, thankfully the hate went away on many forums.

The point is that it doesn't matter what geeks think on internet forums, its what the general audience thinks that matters at the end of the day.

• Like 3

Yup, Titanic was definitely hated - in a kind of Justin Beiber way in that despite its popularity it was incredibly difficult to find people that admitted to liking it. The backlash seems to have died down, thankfully. It's a grand, old school epic which Hollywood seems to have given up on.

I suppose Avatar's a little different in that it'll have sequels which could retrospectively alter the perception of the first, for better or worse. Let's hope it's not another Matrix/Pirates situation.

Titanic was hated for years online, it was only in the last 7 or 8 years where the hate went down and people would gladly come out and say how much they liked the film.

It just seems that the bigger something is, the more its hated. Unless its geek/nerd related like superhero films for example.

I don't really care what geeks and nerds think about the film, many of them are still crying that AVATAR passed lord Nolans TDK. The general audience is what makes films huge and the general audience liked AVATAR.

It was ridiculous how boys treated the movie like Twilight. It was really hideous like you didn't deserve a "man's card" if you admitted you liked Titanic because it was a "chick's flick ugh!". Now they apply the same "exclusive club mentality" like you don't deserve the "geek moviefan card" if you like Avatar like it's the bane of cinematic abortion.

Titanic was hated for years online, it was only in the last 7 or 8 years where the hate went down and people would gladly come out and say how much they liked the film.

It just seems that the bigger something is, the more its hated. Unless its geek/nerd related like superhero films for example.

I don't really care what geeks and nerds think about the film, many of them are still crying that AVATAR passed lord Nolans TDK. The general audience is what makes films huge and the general audience liked AVATAR.

The general audience is also  the great monitor for a true classic film is.. The mere fact Avatar 2 is coming out in 2017 and its still the most talked about movie when you get into conversations with movie fans shows this film had unheard of impact.

What is a few thousand nerds vs hundreds of millions who thought Avatar is the greatest movie experience of all time.

The haters will dine on Avatar records yet again. Where Avengers 2 and HP fell short to  claim top records Pandora will conquer all and well have to break out the smelling salts for all these folks like Lil Mac and others who somehow  live in their own world that a movie that sold over 50M units WW, has made over 10 bllion in revenue will not only maintain its core fanbase but add newbies to the madness.

In the end Avengers , SWs are merely BO behemoths that we have seen before... Avatar 2 reigns up there with Titanic as a tour deforce that became so much more than a mere film..It changes something inside the moviegoer and you hold onto some grand that you cant explain...

The experience of Titan and Avatar are forever.. And its something that movies today just cant get right.

Hail JAmes CAmeron Frakking Cameron and his team.

Dances with Wolves won'an Oscar for best Adaptation.

I wonder what this Wolves movie was about ...

Strange none of your foolish films broke records or had the greatest 2nd weekend hold of all time though..LOL Not to mention James very next film cracked the code of how to beat Titanic in one run!! LOL

Good look with that illogical thinking Futurist. :)

It was ridiculous how boys treated the movie like Twilight. It was really hideous like you didn't deserve a "man's card" if you admitted you liked Titanic because it was a "chick's flick ugh!". Now they apply the same "exclusive club mentality" like you don't deserve the "geek moviefan card" if you like Avatar like it's the bane of cinematic abortion.

No worries Rendar buddy. The  Billions made and tons of films awards while Twilight, SWs films garnered none of that, pretty much shows how daft some of the internet folks are as judges of what  makes for a grand story or which films are deserving of undying fandom.

Going to be funny if after Avatar, Battle Angel I becomes the next big thing Cameron pulls off :) lol

Yup, Titanic was definitely hated - in a kind of Justin Beiber way in that despite its popularity it was incredibly difficult to find people that admitted to liking it. The backlash seems to have died down, thankfully. It's a grand, old school epic which Hollywood seems to have given up on.

I suppose Avatar's a little different in that it'll have sequels which could retrospectively alter the perception of the first, for better or worse. Let's hope it's not another Matrix/Pirates situation.

Lol Hatebox... I think the level of the director talent and storytelling is many many many leagues above what we got in Matrix sequels and Pirates lol.

ROFL.

Camerons Aliens and T2 are the best sequels of all time.. You must  not know movies if you think Cameron is going to fail with any sequel.. The Dude is the Alpha Predator of knowing how to make a grande film even better.

Heck his aliens is still the best sci fi horror of all time!!

• Like 1

Watched Titanic on Netflix the other day. It still holds up, even though the script is worse than Avatar in some parts - "Something Picasso? He won't amount to a thing!" :rolleyes:

I think the reason I like Titanic better is because it has the real life tragedy to give it emotional resonance and two genuinely charismatic lead performances. Avatar is more like an amusement park ride. Lots of fun while you're on it, but then completely forgettable.

Edited by Darth Homer

General audiences don't care about memes or niche internet dwelling places. When will nerds, geeks, and other assorted genre fans understand that online watering holes have no bearing on what the moviegoing public feels and that what these nerds think is not indicative of what mainstream moviegoers feel? AVATAR was a hit because general audiences connected with it, beyond fandoms and niche cluster of geekdoms. The writer of that article is clearly yet another butthurt nerd who is still resentful that his favorite properties languish in mainstream obscurity, while a “crappy Dances With Wolves/Last Rainforest/Pocahontas retread” (the mindless robotic mantra parroted by Avatar detractors) captured the world's imagination. AVATAR 2 will slay, and nerds will once again be puzzled as to its success. But in fact, it will be very simple: Cameron's storytelling skills and universally relateable tropes are always aligned with what audiences enjoy.

Not that anyone cares, but Cracked.com have weighed in on the 'cultural significance' argument (too long; didn't watch: the movie may not have any memorable quotes, moments or characters, but the technological impact on the rest of the industry is self-evident and is more than enough to count as a legacy):

http://www.cracked.com/video_19380_how-avatar-will-actually-be-remembered-throughout-history.html

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/19/avatar-the-biggest-movie-ever-why

Here's an article on why no one talks about AVATAR for a movie that made the amount of $$$$ it did.. It's kind of lengthy, but it's true..

Good article. Avatar is the McDonald's of movie making. Every defence of this movie basically comes down to "it's popular, so it must be good". Of course it was popular. The movie was specifically designed with the blandest plot and characters imaginable so that audiences around the world could imprint their own emotions and views on it. Cameron's genius as a filmmaker is to take geeky ideas and iron out all the quirks then wrap it in a slick package. He basically makes sci-fi movies for people who don't like sci-fi movies. I'm not knocking him. It works because he's so good at it.

Edited by Darth Homer

Good article. Avatar is the McDonald's of movie making. Every defence of this movie basically comes down to "it's popular, so it must be good". Of course it was popular. The movie was specifically designed with the blandest plot and characters imaginable so that audiences around the world could imprint their own emotions and views on it. Cameron's genius as a filmmaker is to take geeky ideas and iron out all the quirks then wrap it in a slick package. He basically makes sci-fi movies for people who don't like sci-fi movies. I'm not knocking him. It works because he's so good at it.

Nope, that's Marvel.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 7

:worthy:  :bravo: