Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

That's why I trust my T1 to T2 comparison for A to A2

Terminator 1 was, for all intents and purposes, a cult classic (of sorts) that really caught fire on home video, and had nowhere to go but up. How is that half comparable to a movie that made 2.8B WW? If history has proved anything, is that sequels to movies that made over 1.5B have all gone down. If A2 makes 2B, that'll be a feat in of itself, but it has a 0.0000000000000001% chance of even sniffing A1's gross.

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Terminator 1 was, for all intents and purposes, a cult classic (of sorts) that really caught fire on home video, and had nowhere to go but up. How is that half comparable to a movie that made 2.8B WW? If history has proved anything, is that sequels to movies that made over 1.5B have all gone down. If A2 makes 2B, that'll be a feat in of itself, but it has a 0.0000000000000001% chance of even sniffing A1's gross.

that's pretty damning dude, how would you recover when it makes $3b?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jessie said:

Avatar had a pretty big culteral impact in other countries other than America though. Just look at china, they renamed their mountains after it. Had Avatar spawned a franchise early on then lets face it, it will be in todays pop culture

They dont have films coming out every 6 months so obviously it wont be as relevent in todays pop culture.

18 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The thing about the pop culture is weird though, they're comparing Avatar to franchises like Star Wars and Marvel which have been around forever.

Avatar is just one original film and has Avatar world theme park, secret garden in Penang, mountain named after it and a cirque du soleil show.

@JB33 Name an original film release within a decent time window to Avatar what has had more "cultural impact". Frozen is part of the Disney Princess franchise so doesn't count and also sells kids toys (big deal).

To bring some non anglo-saxon perspective, no Star Wars movie and no Marvel movie has ever topped Avatar in France even A New Hope (re-release included) because we use tickets sold not unadjusted gross. So "pop culture" only goes so far, it can hit a ceiling that Cameron shatters in term of demographics appeal...

And Titanic is still the highest selling movie all time over here.

Off-topic but yesterday, Titanic was on TV celebrating its 20th birthday anniversary (it was released here in January 1998). It was followed by a documentary looking back on the phenomenon and James Cameron's odyssey to make the movie ever since The Abyss. Seeing a then french old woman (God bless her if she's still alive) caught in a theater saying she was about to see Titanic for the 30th (?!) times alongside a giddy flock of children, teenagers, young adults, whole families are the testament of its monumental achievement.

(Yeah I still got them feels watching Titanic, more and more I get emotionally moved by the romance at the core, I'd say it is even more powerful when you know destiny fatally arrives, this thing is the last modern epic classic).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

To bring some non anglo-saxon perspective, no Star Wars movie and no Marvel movie has ever topped Avatar in France even A New Hope (re-release included) because we use tickets sold not unadjusted gross. So "pop culture" only goes so far, it can hit a ceiling that Cameron shatters in term of demographics appeal...It still doesn't compute.

And Titanic is still the highest selling movie all time over here.

Off-topic but yesterday, Titanic was on TV celebrating its 20th birthday anniversary. It was followed by a documentary looking back on the phenomenon and James Cameron's quest to make the movie ever since The Abyss. Seeing a then french old woman (God bless her if she's still alive) caught in a theater saying she was about to see Titanic a 30 (?!) times alongside a giddy flock of children, teenagers, young adults, whole families are the testament of the monumental achievement.

(Yeah I still got them feels watching Titanic, more and more I get emotionally moved by the romance at the core, I'd say it is even more powerful when you know destiny fatally arrives, this thing is the last modern epic classic).

where do I see a list of tickets sold in france

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Jim laughs in the face of odds like these. Keep doubting him. 

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Superhero movies usually do 1,5/4m tickets in France.

MCU movies usually do around 2-3m.

The Dark Night "only" sold 3m+ 10 years ago.

Titanic sold 20m+

Does France have the best taste?

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Does France have the best taste?

Do french people hate superhero movies? :ph34r:

Look at the all-time list for Quebec (till 2016) from the international thread. They still make money obliviously but it seems the genre peaked here with the Raimi films.

How high can Avatar 2 go I wonder?

CANQ1985-2016.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Do french people hate superhero movies? :ph34r:

Look at the all-time list for Quebec (till 2016) from the international thread. They still make money obliviously but it seems the genre peaked here with the Raimi films.

How high can Avatar 2 go I wonder?

CANQ1985-2016.jpg

20m!

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Feel joy to know very little about the awful french comedies that are very succesful there ...

:wacko:

was too good to be true, everyone needs their superhero equivalent unfortunately.

Is this thread the last bastion of good taste?

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

that's pretty damning dude, how would you recover when it makes $3b?

Me, recover? I wouldn't have anything to recover from. I never said I'm against A2 doing whatever it has to, I just said it has a damn near impossible chance. If anything, you guys are the ones who are putting your sanity at stake for A2 htting A1 numbers. :redcapes:

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Jim laughs in the face of odds like these. Keep doubting him. 

...I mean, sure, let's see how everything goes, but it's not like not matching 2.8B WW would be anything worth shaming yourself for, even for James Cameron standards.

Look at the Arnold video posted above.

Cameron has more ambition than Lucas/Spielberg/Feige combined.

When the movie starts production , the crazy canuck becomes a monster that wants to make the best movie released that year.

And He knows what is at stakes here : These Avatar movies will be his legacy. He won't do anything after them at least nothing on this giant scale.

They HAVE to be Monumental pieces of filmmaking at minimum.

These movies will have to be on par with the LOTR trilogy, that s probably his mindset right now.

If you continue to doubt Cameron, it shows you don't understand how his mind works.

Luckily, I do.

:shades:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Look at the Arnold video posted above.

Cameron has more ambition than Lucas/Spielberg/Feige combined.

When the movie starts production , the crazy canuck becomes a monster that wants to make the best movie released that year.

And He knows what is at stakes here : These Avatar movies will be his legacy. He won't do anything after them at least nothing on this giant scale.

They HAVE to be Monumental pieces of filmmaking at minimum.

These movies will have to be on par with the LOTR trilogy, that s probably his mindset right now.

If you continue to doubt Cameron, it shows you don't understand how his mind works.

Luckily, I do.

:shades:

same