Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, IronJimbo said:

so were his wonder woman ones

My theory is that anything with any serious thought and consideration is derided because it's too much for the Comic-Movie Generation to handle. 

They need everything in simple little sound bites, easily digested, and with the utmost cognitive ease. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

My theory is that anything with any serious thought and consideration is derided because it's too much for the Comic-Movie Generation to handle. 

They need everything in simple little sound bites, easily digested, and with the utmost cognitive ease. 

What I've found from the WW and now Avengers comments is that the overwhelming majority of people talking smack never take the time to read the full quote or understand the context. They're quick to fling mud and get defensive really fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

What I've found from the WW and now Avengers comments is that the overwhelming majority of people talking smack never take the time to read the full quote or understand the context. They're quick to fling mud and get defensive really fast.

I wouldn't expect anything less. 

It's also probably driven in large part by the fact that Avatar is still #1 and they're struggling to even push past 0.5A. 

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I wouldn't expect anything less. 

It's also probably driven in large part by the fact that Avatar is still #1 and they're struggling to even push past 0.5A. 

Well to be fair only 5 non-Jim films have ever made 0.5A, it's a monumental achievement for anyone who isn't Jim.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Apparently, news from CinemaCon is that The Lion King is contest to TFA domestically and Avatar WW. 

If it does top Avatar, it would likely not hold the record for more than 18 months.

I have a very hard time seeing TLK more than doubling BatB's WW gross, even if it will be more balanced 4-quadrant in its audience (BatB skewed more female). TLK is no doubt the most popular of Disney's Renaissance films but how much more than the already beloved animated Beauty and the Beast?

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

I have a very hard time seeing TLK more than doubling BatB's WW gross, even if it will be more balanced 4-quadrant in its audience (BatB skewed more female). TLK is no doubt the most popular of Disney's Renaissance films but how much more than the already beloved animated Beauty and the Beast?

EmpireCity thinks it has a legit chance at $1b domestic. Add to that that China should go crazy for it ($300m+). As long as the rest of the world follows, it'll do gangbusters. 

I genuinely feel it could do $100m+ in UK too.

I think of all the films coming up until A2, TLK has the strongest chance, it is by all means not guaranteed. Anything more than a billion should be considered a success. But the potential is there.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Apparently, news from CinemaCon is that The Lion King is contest to TFA domestically and Avatar WW. 

If it does top Avatar, it would likely not hold the record for more than 18 months.

Nahhhh

7 hours ago, feasby007 said:

Highly unlikely and clearly impossible.

The people making these "predictions" don't seem to get tired of it, Avatar WW must have been topped at least 20 times since 2009...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, feasby007 said:

EmpireCity thinks it has a legit chance at $1b domestic. Add to that that China should go crazy for it ($300m+). As long as the rest of the world follows, it'll do gangbusters. 

I genuinely feel it could do $100m+ in UK too.

I think of all the films coming up until A2, TLK has the strongest chance, it is by all means not guaranteed. Anything more than a billion should be considered a success. But the potential is there.

Well, I guess $1B domestic is not impossible since by the time of its release TFA would adjust to more than 1B and Avatar more than 900 Million domestically, but I just don't believe it. I think the lukewarm reception of BaTB doesn't really help. I don't think TLK makes that much more than BATB domestically, I'm betting on less than Black Panther.

As for worldwide, I don't see a reason why China would go crazy for it, they didn't for Frozen, Cinderella, or BATB, so why this one? Not that $300M would qualify much as "going crazy" anyway since the market is huge now. Even if TLK somehow makes $300M in China and does huge in Europe, that still won't be enough for it to pass Avatar WW.

TLK does have a legit change of out-grossing EP9 WW though, which I'd be happy to see.

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Well, I guess $1B domestic is not impossible since by the time of its release TFA would adjust to more than 1B and Avatar more than 900 Million domestically, but I just don't believe it. I think the lukewarm reception of BaTB doesn't really help. I don't think TLK makes that much more than BATB domestically, I'm betting on less than Black Panther.

As for worldwide, I don't see a reason why China would go crazy for it, they didn't for Frozen, Cinderella, or BATB, so why this one? Not that $300M would qualify much as "going crazy" anyway since the market is huge now. Even if TLK somehow makes $300M in China and does huge in Europe, that still won't be enough for it to pass Avatar WW.

TLK does have a legit change of out-grossing EP9 WW though, which I'd be happy to see.

I don't think TLK getting $1 billion is feasible, but I think passing BP should be a reasonable goal as long as it's a good film. The original run without re-release would adjust to $700 million in 2019, and TLK has drawn in a lot of new viewers since then. 

3 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Highly unlikely and clearly impossible.

The people making these "predictions" don't seem to get tired of it, Avatar WW must have been topped at least 20 times since 2009...

Ain't this so, and still Jim stands tall. 

For me it's Frozen 2 that we should all be afraid of.