Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 6/23/2018 at 12:16 AM, IronJimbo said:

https://www.maoritelevision.com/news/regional/rotorua-haka-performers-inspire-avatar-2-film

This could be something the SJW crowd snaps at Avatar 2 for when it's released.

After they've finished cleaning themselves up and recovering from the greatest cinematic experience of all time that is... 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

On 6/22/2018 at 2:45 AM, IronJimbo said:

With Disney likely taking over from fox I'm worried Avatar might directly fund remakes worse than the originals and the MCU/Nu-Wars

1) How much of Avatar  sequel profits go to Lightstorm/Jim?

2) Who gets the money for Merchandise sales?

3) Who owns the rights to Avatar (I assumed it was Jim)?

4) Will Disney be able to release crappy Avatar spinoffs or continuations not by Jim?

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Just want to give my thoughts on this. Jim owns the avatar IP so Disney/Fox are at his mercy. They can't force him to do anything he doesn't want to such as releasing avatar spinoffs by some random directors. As for distribution of profits/money from the sequels, Jim is  probably receiving a sizeable percentage of the box office revenue (first dollar gross), merchandise, blu ray, tv revenue, video games and the pandora world themed attraction. There was an interesting thread posted on the boxoffice reddit regarding the financials on the avatar sequels a couple years back. Basically the thread mentioned a USC  guest lecturer (former fox executive) said Cameron has the largest contract in movie history without giving up IP. I'll try to finding the thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, tenken said:

There was an interesting thread posted on the boxoffice reddit regarding the financials on the avatar sequels a couple years back. Basically the thread mentioned a USC  guest lecturer (former fox executive) said Cameron has the largest contract in movie history without giving up IP. I'll try to finding the thread.

It sounds like something Cameron would do! :D 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tenken said:

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Just want to give my thoughts on this. Jim owns the avatar IP so Disney/Fox are at his mercy. They can't force him to do anything he doesn't want to such as releasing avatar spinoffs by some random directors. As for distribution of profits/money from the sequels, Jim is  probably receiving a sizeable percentage of the box office revenue (first dollar gross), merchandise, blu ray, tv revenue, video games and the pandora world themed attraction. There was an interesting thread posted on the boxoffice reddit regarding the financials on the avatar sequels a couple years back. Basically the thread mentioned a USC  guest lecturer (former fox executive) said Cameron has the largest contract in movie history without giving up IP. I'll try to finding the thread.

great first post 😎

• Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, tenken said:

Cameron has the largest contract in movie history without giving up IP.

Because of course he does. You don't create the highest grossing film of all time and then lose leverage.

Remember these beauties have a billion dollar budget.

32 minutes ago, tenken said:

Found it. The numbers are insane.

If that's true Jim will able to explore for the rest of his life.

In the comments

Yes! Sorry to elaborate ... then lecturer said both Fox and Cameron weren't super keen on disclosing the actual terms they closed on for the 3 movies. But he gets whatever the greater is of ($335 million per film) or 15% for the 1st billion of the worldwide box office for each film and 20% of everything over that.

4 billion worldwide would make Jim 150m+600m... if this is true 😂

Edited by IronJimbo

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Yes! Sorry to elaborate ... then lecturer said both Fox and Cameron weren't super keen on disclosing the actual terms they closed on for the 3 movies. But he gets whatever the greater is of ($335 million per film) or 15% for the 1st billion of the worldwide box office for each film and 20% of everything over that.

Guaranteed $335M per film holy shit. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2018 at 12:42 AM, IronJimbo said:

If that's true Jim will able to explore for the rest of his life.

In the comments

4 billion worldwide would make Jim 150m+600m... if this is true 😂

Insane numbers. 

On 6/28/2018 at 1:52 AM, Pure Spirit said:

Guaranteed $335M per film holy shit. 

I wonder if this makes him the highest paid artist in history? 

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I just hope I make it. 

Same.

I've been thinking of saving for a full health inspection to get tested on everything a man can test.

Maybe I'm being paranoid because I seem like a healthy 20 something year old but I need to make sure I make it to see Avatar 2.

With Avatar having a small release (~50 screens) and making $170k in South Korean over the weekend it shows that a global wide re-release would EASILY sling Avatar past $3b.

The question is when will Jim do it? Obviously he doesn't want to interfere with Avatar 2's box office, I'm not sure myself when will be optimal.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Same.

I've been thinking of saving for a full health inspection to get tested on everything a man can test.

Maybe I'm being paranoid because I seem like a healthy 20 something year old but I need to make sure I make it to see Avatar 2.

The problem with a "full health inspection" is they are likely to find something and then obligated to treat it, but the treatment may be worse than the disease. Be careful with the data you gather. Given how young you are, a full body scan can do more harm than good. Eating healthy, exercising, avoiding smoking/drinking/drugs, and washing your hands, will do far more than a thousand doctor visits combined. Remember, doctors don't get paid to keep you healthy, they get paid to keep you from dying, and pills are nothing compared to the amazing machinery of self-repair your body is born with. Take care of it.

That said, you need to be in control of your own health destiny. Don't expect them to find everything... you know yourself best. Document every weird symptom you've ever had, correlate that with bayesian reasoning and heavy research (don't use quack sites!). I discovered a rare progressive kidney disease in myself this way (blood in urine years ago during a couple respiratory infections), and a biopsy confirmed it. The damage was irreversible but by controlling my blood pressure and avoiding certain things, my kidney function has actually improved and I will likely avoid dialysis entirely. They found the same disease in my brother but too late, and he had to get a transplant and could've died during the wait.

• Like 4

TheDailyBeast is typical garbage clickbait, baiting Cameron into a Trump quote so they could get Trump into their headline (fuck the media, Cameron obviously doesn't want to be pulled into a mind-killing partisan war, he's fighting bigger battles). But it's still a great interview:

The Oscars has had a hard time ratings-wise since your Titanic year, which set ratings records. Why do you think the telecast has been in a ratings slump since?

There have been a few times throughout the history of the Oscars where a wildly popular film was well-received, but your typical year the Academy takes the position of: “It is our patrician duty to tell the great unwashed what they should be watching,” and they don’t reward the films that people really want to see—that they’re paying money to go see—and they’re telling them, “Yeah, you think you like that, but what you should be liking is this.” And as long as the Academy sees that as their duty, don’t expect high ratings. Expect a good show, and do that duty, but don’t whine about your ratings. Titanicwas a very unusual case. I’m not saying it’s a better film than films before or after, or it was necessarily a better year in general, but it was a film that made a boatload of money and got a lot of nominations. The next time we see that, we’ll see ratings go up. It’s that simple.

There does seem to be an Academy bias against big movies like that. When you had Dark Knight and Wall-Eboth get snubbed for Best Picture, many people cried foul, and the Academy expanded Best Picture to between 8-10 nominees. But it hasn’t made a difference.

There’s definitely a bias. The Academy still has a majority of its members that are actors. Look, I love actors, but that’s how they think—they’re generally skeptical of technology. So when they see a film that’s too dependent on visual effects, they say, oh, that’s not an acting movie. Well Titanic was a visual effects movie in sheep’s clothing, you know? Yes, it had visual effects, but it was about the people and about the story. The visual effects were eclipsed by that. But if you do a movie like Avatar, the effects are right out front, and even though I felt the acting was just as good, and the story we were telling was just as good, they’re not going to reward it the same way. That’s just a fact of life. I had made a decision way before Titanic that I wasn’t going to serve two masters: I was going to put my visual cinema first. Even though I’ve spent an awful lot of time on scripts and on performance, I still love doing big, visual cinema. I doubt I’ll even get nominated again, but if I did, I’m probably going to lose to a Woody Allen movie. That’s the nature of it. So you don’t try to serve two masters.

God bless you Cameron:

But I’m keeping my head down, doing the stuff that I thought I would be doing if Hillary was elected. I’m making my Avatar films, I’m doing my climate work, I’m doing my sustainable agriculture work. You can only do what you can do.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/james-cameron-on-the-trump-administration-these-people-are-insane

• Like 1