Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I was watching an older John Carpenter interview today and he talked a bit about Jim. This was during the time Jim was working as a vfx guy for Roger Corman, his talent was apparent to those working with him. At 16:46.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tenken said:

I was watching an older John Carpenter interview today and he talked a bit about Jim. This was during the time Jim was working as a vfx guy for Roger Corman, his talent was apparent to those working with him. At 16:46.

Must be the Cameron's matte painting, John Carpenter is mentioning:

escapejim2.jpg

tumblr_lzyh7nel8p1r344y9o3_400.jpg

james-cameron-working-on-glass-shot.png

CnA9KuxUsAAK4p8.jpg

walker-matte-painting-copy-b.jpg

Final shot:

escape-from-new-york-shot-copy.png

Courtesy from the book On Set with John Carpenter

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

15 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

With Avatar having a small release (~50 screens) and making $170k in South Korean over the weekend it shows that a global wide re-release would EASILY sling Avatar past $3b.

The question is when will Jim do it? Obviously he doesn't want to interfere with Avatar 2's box office, I'm not sure myself when will be optimal.

He better do. I want to see the original in IMAX 3D again before A2. 

• Like 1

Avatar II will feature a fair bit of underwater work, if you want to see how Cameron dealt with this when he made The Abyss check out the making of on Youtube (there are 6 parts). Like anything Cameron does, it's never easy, stock or by the book, he's always headed down some fresh new path where no one has gone before. They went thru hell to make this movie, no doubt it will be much easier this time. 

Edited by Deuce66
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Avatar II will feature a fair bit of underwater work, if you want to see how Cameron dealt with this when he made The Abyss check out the making of on Youtube (there are 6 parts). Like anything Cameron does, it's never easy, stock or by the book, he's always headed down some fresh new path where no one has gone before. They went thru hell to make this movie, no doubt it will be much easier this time. 

While the difficulty of the entire shoot will be as complicated as ever there's no way he would put kids through what the Abyss cast went through. I imagine he's got a much more refined approach to the underwater scenes. I think the difficulty of these underwater scenes will have actually came from the creation of the underwater motion capture technology.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 7:42 PM, IronJimbo said:

If that's true Jim will able to explore for the rest of his life.

In the comments

Yes! Sorry to elaborate ... then lecturer said both Fox and Cameron weren't super keen on disclosing the actual terms they closed on for the 3 movies. But he gets whatever the greater is of ($335 million per film) or 15% for the 1st billion of the worldwide box office for each film and 20% of everything over that.

4 billion worldwide would make Jim 150m+600m... if this is true 😂

I am not sure I understand it too.

Did anyone ever heard before of a percentage bonus on a movie box office gross (and not studio take/rental of said box office) before ?

Also:

They are only basing their math on the sequels having 50% each of the growth of the original. 

Not sure I understand, but if he mean basing the guaranteed compensation at 0.5 Avatar is 1.4 billion or (150+0.2*400) = 230, that is quite far from 335m.

If the movie make 1 billion in China, studio make around 220-230m and give 200m to Cameron, that would be quite the nice deal.

I would imagine that it would a bonus on box office only (not touching video and other merchandise type revenues) ?

Usually gross point is on: All money actually Received by the studio (but just 20% of the home video revenues received by the studio).

Net point is on: All the money actually received by the studio - expense.

It is common to have fix box office bonus (1m if you reach 500m + 500k for each of the following landmark), but point % on box office ?

Needless to say that James doesn't need to be doing what he's doing unless he WANTS to do it. What kind of deal did he cut for the sequels? who knows for sure except for the Fox executives/lawyers and James himself. 

From a Deadline article (July 9/2010).

I’m told this will be the biggest financial haul ever for a movie director from a single pic because James Cameron had a significant gross percentage of the Twentieth Century Fox megahit as helmer, writer, and producer. Though Hollywood pay experts tell me that the $350M all-in figure is largely attributable to his directing deal structured as “first dollar” gross or more likely “at cash break” gross. It’s certainly bigger than either he or the studio — or anyone — thought he’d make from Avatar which, after its December 2009 release date, has grossed a best-ever 

$2.7 billion worldwide at the box office. “But Cameron is making $350 million because the DVD did beyond expectation,” an insider tells me. Indeed, its 2D DVD and Blu-Ray worldwide sales smashed records in all categories. And still to come is the release of its 3D DVD in November. Meanwhile, yesterday, Twentieth Century Fox and Cameron announced that a “Special Edition” Avatar will be released in theaters August 27th as a limited engagement and exclusively in Digital 3D and IMAX 3D. This version will include more than 8 minutes of new footage. “With Cameron making $350 million, can you imagine what Fox and Dune Entertainment and Ingenious Media are making?” one of my insiders wondered, referring to the three companies that together bankrolled Avatar. And let’s not forget there’ll be an Avatar sequel… and maybe a threequel as part of what Cameron has been calling a “trilogy-scaled arc of story”. And the production costs on the subsequent films should be far less because they’ve honed the 3D filmmaking technology process.

Forbes magazine about a week ago placed Cameron only #2 on its Celebrity 100 money ranking this year of the richest and most powerful actors, actresses, musicians and other well known showbiz figures. In fact, based on my insiders, Cameron should have been #1 because his $350M far exceeds the $315M which the magazine said top-ranked Oprah Winfrey earned. Forbes underestimated the director’s pay at only $210M. UPDATE: Forbes responds – No, Nikki, James Cameron Is Not Quite No. 1 Yet. Here’s Why.

My sources tell me that Cameron’s $350M take from Avatar also eclipses his reported $97M haul from the previous #1 biggest movie worldwide, Titanic. But that figure will go higher, too. Earlier this year, Cameron revealed that Titanic will be re-released in 3D in April 2012, in order to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the actual ship. In total, Cameron’s directorial efforts have grossed approximately $5.75 billion worldwide.

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

A little bit of Avatar sequel information from Jon in this clip re: possible conflict between Jake/Neytiri (mixed marriage issues, human/Navi conflict). 

Thanks for this video I missed it!

It's an obvious place to go with the story that Jake is going to get hated on and the kids aswell for being half Avatar half Na'vi, they'll probably be called 5-fingers in school. Interesting to hear Jake and Ney will be the MC's atleast for Avatar 2.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Thanks for this video I missed it!

It's an obvious place to go with the story that Jake is going to get hated on and the kids aswell for being half Avatar half Na'vi, they'll probably be called 5-fingers in school. Interesting to hear Jake and Ney will be the MC's atleast for Avatar 2.

Yeah that dynamic should be interesting, Neytiri has suffered directly from the loss of her sister, ancestral home, father and other clan members at the hands of the aliens, that's a lot to overcome and deal with.

I like how Jon danced around the Arnold ? it would be interesting if Arnie played a baddie commander of some kind even in a reduced role.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 9:50 PM, Deuce66 said:

Yeah that dynamic should be interesting, Neytiri has suffered directly from the loss of her sister, ancestral home, father and other clan members at the hands of the aliens, that's a lot to overcome and deal with.

I like how Jon danced around the Arnold ? it would be interesting if Arnie played a baddie commander of some kind even in a reduced role.  

I can only get so excited. Arnold would be amazing in Avatar.

• Like 1

Some live action production news.

http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=110643

Avatar planning production in Lower Hutt as well as Miramar

July 8, 2018

Wellington.Scoop

More details of the production of the Avatar sequels in Wellington have emerged.

Tom Hunt reports in the DomPost that two deals in the Hutt Valley are being finalized by the company behind Avatar.

880 Productions, part of the Fox studios empire, is understood to be on the verge of nabbing a five-year deal on TVNZ’s former Avalon Studios to the tune of $500,000 a year.

On the other side of the valley, 120 Hutt Park Rd – the former Turners car auction building – is in the final stages of being negotiated. The deal is tipped to be worth $800,000 to $900,000 a year for a lease lasting about six years.

Hutt City Mayor Ray Wallace confirmed the leases of the two sites were “pretty much a done-deal” and understood work would begin on the films later in 2018.

Till now, the focus of the Avatar projects was expected to be at Weta Digital in Miramar. The DomPost report indicates that activity will now be more widely spread.

The first Avatar movie employed more than 1500 people and spent about $100 million in the Wellington economy.

• Like 3