Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

This avatar back lash is hilarious to read. An original film doesn't earn 2.7b because of pretty colours and cool action otherwise transformers would be much bigger than it is. People clearly liked the story, anyone who says otherwise are simply trolls and don't have a leg to stand on.

Perfectly stated. A movie doesn't get the legs Avatar got WW without being good.

What`s good and what`s great is widely individual but what helped Avatar was that it was generally considered to be very good (between good and great).There` sno question about it.However, there`s something that Teardropmina said about LOTR that I think applies here as well. Many people were swept into LOTR hype, saw the movies, liked them but didn`t become long-term fans. Simply, when the hype died down, they shrugged it off and moved on, hence why TH isn`t posting kind of numbers expected if everyone who saw LOTR had become a fan. So I think that Avatar sequels should also take into consideration that there were people swept into the hype, who liked the movie but didn`t become long-term fans and may not care to show up for sequels. For those people, trilogy like TH or 2-3 more Avatar movies is overstaying their welcome.

• Like 1

What`s good and what`s great is widely individual but what helped Avatar was that it was generally considered to be very good (between good and great).There` sno question about it.However, there`s something that Teardropmina said about LOTR that I think applies here as well. Many people were swept into LOTR hype, saw the movies, liked them but didn`t become long-term fans. Simply, when the hype died down, they shrugged it off and moved on, hence why TH isn`t posting kind of numbers expected if everyone who saw LOTR had become a fan. So I think that Avatar sequels should also take into consideration that there were people swept into the hype, who liked the movie but didn`t become long-term fans and may not care to show up for sequels. For those people, trilogy like TH or 2-3 more Avatar movies is overstaying their welcome.

But TH isn't a sequel, its more like a spinoff. Avatar 2 will be a direct sequel and maintain a lot more of its audience as TH did.

LOTR is a trilogy. People didn't shrug off TTT after FOTR. I don't think we can compare them on the same basis.(Avatar 2 might not be a rehash of the first like Hobbit seems to be a rehash of FOTR with Frodo swapped for Bilbo)Edit: Jessie said it better.

Edited by dashrendar44

But TH isn't a sequel, its more like a spinoff. Avatar 2 will be a direct sequel and maintain a lot more of its audience as TH did.

Ok, that`s a valid point for sure. Same characters are more likely to draw more audience than new ones.I`m just noticing than some over-rpedix started so I want them in check,that`s all.

LOTR is a trilogy. People didn't shrug off TTT after FOTR.

LOTR was a 3 year non-stop hype. People were swept into it. They had no time to cool off because hype was 24-7. It`s different when you have to wait 2-3,etc years. It gives you time to put the distance and see if you trully care for something or you liked it because everyone seemed to like it and you were constantly bombared with messages that you should like it. Avatar sequel #1 will come after how many years of people putting the distance betwen them and first Avatar and deciding whether they still care or whether they trully cared at all first time. Edited by fishnets

Yeah I can see your point, it's up to Cameron to challenge audience and pull off a sequel that expands on Avatar's universe in an interesting way, on a visual and narrative POV. My only concern is about the stakes, how can you raise them and get bigger than "Unify all Navi's tribes and Save the entire alien planet against human threat"...Avatar worked great as a standalone movie with complete arcs.

(However, concerning LOTR, despite the non-stop 3 years hype, I didn't feel the need to watch the sequels at theaters though so nothing is set in stone).

Edited by dashrendar44

Avatar is a winter family film and a chick flick, so I think it's safe to say that the sequel will not behave like a fanboy or fangirl film does. But I dont think Cameron cares about this hype or anticipation crap. Studios care, a lot of film-makers care, because releasing the sequel only one or two years later while the hype hasn't cooled off yet is the best way to get a good boxoffice result. But since the last thing Cameron did was making the highest grossing films of all time out of two original projects which had no fanbase, why would he give a shit about whether there will be enough long-term fans or not?

Edited by vc2002

However, there`s something that Teardropmina said about LOTR that I think applies here as well. Many people were swept into LOTR hype, saw the movies, liked them but didn`t become long-term fans. Simply, when the hype died down, they shrugged it off and moved on, hence why TH isn`t posting kind of numbers expected if everyone who saw LOTR had become a fan. So I think that Avatar sequels should also take into consideration that there were people swept into the hype, who liked the movie but didn`t become long-term fans and may not care to show up for sequels. For those people, trilogy like TH or 2-3 more Avatar movies is overstaying their welcome.

More than that, 3D isn't a novelty anymore. A few on here baulk at the idea, but I and a lot of people I know only saw Avatar out of curiosity for the format. I won't be fooled a second time as far as that's concerned.But... it's Cameron. When it comes to box office, it'd be madness to underestimate him.
  • Like 1

LOTR is a trilogy. People didn't shrug off TTT after FOTR. I don't think we can compare them on the same basis.(Avatar 2 might not be a rehash of the first like Hobbit seems to be a rehash of FOTR with Frodo swapped for Bilbo)Edit: Jessie said it better.

Lol, I thought you said it pretty well.

Ok, that`s a valid point for sure. Same characters are more likely to draw more audience than new ones.I`m just noticing than some over-rpedix started so I want them in check,that`s all.

That's true, I'm not expecting it to match the first, but I also don't expect it to drop 50% in admissions like TH.

More than that, 3D isn't a novelty anymore. A few on here baulk at the idea, but I and a lot of people I know only saw Avatar out of curiosity for the format. I won't be fooled a second time as far as that's concerned.But... it's Cameron. When it comes to box office, it'd be madness to underestimate him.

The thing is, it's not like Avatar was the first 3D movie to be released. 3D didn't make Avatar big, Avatar made 3D big. It looked so great in the film that everyone went crazy over it, it was only after a year or so that the craze died down as it became clear that not many movies could actually challenge Avatar in the 3d effects department.Cameron is taking his sweet ass time because he's confident. 3D may not be a novelty anymore, but I'm sure people will return to the world that people fell inlove with. People will return for Avatar in 3D and not see it as a gimmick like other movies, it was that films that got them pumped for the format and most of the GA know now that Avatar 2 will most likely have better 3D effect than anything else.

3D had been done, but never to such a prolific degree in living memory - and not from the director of the biggest film of all time up until then. I can only speak for myself and those I know personally when I say the lure of the format (which subsequently disappointed me) was the only reason we saw it, but I'm also not naive enough to think the film made that much because of 3D alone. Cameron's a good, populist storyteller.