CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I know, but I think it'll happen eventually. It would one of their original movies or perhaps Cars 3 if it happens.

The term flop get thrown around to loosely. At worst would underperform but does the studio care if it did? Anything over 470M would be a success.

You already do, with Bonnie.  They are Bonnie's toys now.

Might be difficult to accept because we didn't grow up with Bonnie.

What did I say? You can't have Toy Story without ANDY. You can have it without Ham, and Rex, and Andy's mom, and Bo Peep, and Jessie, etc. but Buzz, Woody, and Andy are the 3 characters you have to have. They're Andy's toys. I don't care if Bonnie owns them now.

That's why the trilogy ending was so perfect: Andy giving up the one thing he "adored most." Yet, even though he was passing them on, they'd still be forever his. Now with part 4, you pretty much negate that. Unless, Andy returns for whatever reason. But he has to return for whatever reason. 

I'm not as skeptical as I was before. I'm not going to boycott this. Disney is all about business now. Remember when we got mid-range simple, non CGI-filled, family movies like Old Dogs, Flubber, Freaky Friday, Inspector Gadget, George of the Jungle, Princess Diaries, Game Plan, Pacifier, The Santa Clause, Snow Dogs, Cool Runnings, etc? Well, that's not Disney anymore. Alexander's Bad Day and Million Dollar Arm is a rarity today. Disney is 2 things. 1. a merchandise seller and 2. a theme park promoter. (WDW and DL is where the bulk of their revenue comes from). That's why we get the movies from them that we do, so I understand TS4, it's all business. I'm sure the shareholders understand that the TS trilogy is one of the best, if not the best, of all time, and ended the best way a trilogy could end, but they also understand that making another is risk-free, and guaranteed shitloads of cash. Which would they prefer? But at the same time, I want them to be invested in this. 

You can't "reboot" Toy Story. You can't just shove them in a new world. And you can't get rid of what made it all work. Andy is central to that. So obviously I'll still see TS4. Maybe TS7 will be in time for me take my kid, but one thing I wont tolerate is the absence of Andy. Bonnie cannot take over the franchise like Mark Whalberg did with TF, no. It's Andy or BUST. 

Disney can make a business decision, but don't make it a stupid ass one.

• Like 2

Maybe I was too dismissive of the fans that are unhappy. I guess I just forgot what it meant to be a fan. All I saw was a huge box office winner for Disney. But, for a lot of people, there is a strong emotional attachment to the Toy Story movies. And that's a good thing, so I wouldn't want to diminish that or make light of it.

I still think this is going to be a successful movie for Disney. But, you guys keep being fans and expressing your opinions. That type of fandom is needed when it comes to the BO.

Edited by Walt Disney

Someone mentioned on another board that we are having a tough time with a new story to a new generation, like andy had a tough time giving up woody to Bonnie. Many of us grew up with woody/buzz, & having a hard time with the next generation being able to have adventures with woody/buzz

• Like 1

Toy Story is about Woody and Buzz. You don't see Andy at the theme parks

Andy is the mission in every movie.

TS1 = Find a way back to Andy's house before they move.

TS2 = Find a way back to Andy's house, after they rescue Woody, who had to rescue Weezie, before Andy gets back from camp.

TS3 = Find a way back to Andy's house, and break out of the daycare, before he leaves for college.

Andy was pretty friggin important.

• Like 5

Not going to negate Andy's importance to the original trilogy, but honestly, Andy was our generation, and now the next gen, kids like my son, will look at Bonnie and identify with her.

Plus, Andy served as one motivation for the toys; they can still develop a story that continues to focus on the toys themselves and developing a relationship with Bonnie. It's a new arc for the story altogether. I can see how it can work.

• Like 6