baumer

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

139 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Yes, I didn't like that flimsy explanation either.  How is the three headed machine supposed to find anyone at any time and then kill them?

I need to watch it again, but Sitwell was explaining the algorithm that Zola wrote, which studied. analyzed, and tracked everything including history, activity, DNA, potential threat, etc... of monitored subjects.

I do think the movie would have been a bit stronger with a few scenes showing the populace clamoring for the protection that SHIELD/Hydra would be more than willing to provide. Having Cap attempt to stop a terrorist attack and failing to do so followed by the Marvel Universe version of the Patriot Act being signed would have driven home the 'trade safety for freedom' message that was trying to be conveyed.

Don't get me wrong...the opening sequence on the ship was badass. But the data they recover being the McGuffin is a bit weak. Having that same sequence being an attempt to say stop a HUGE bomb from going off and then having him unravel the mystery of a staged attack would have been more intriguing to me.

But I'm well aware that I like to rewrite movies that most people think are more than serviceable.

• Like 1

Magic. :)(There was some technobabble about how it tracks your DNA or something.)

I need to watch it again, but Sitwell was explaining the algorithm that Zola wrote, which studied. analyzed, and tracked everything including history, activity, DNA, potential threat, etc... of monitored subjects.

Yes, it studied your past to predict your future.  But unless you have something on you that can be digitally tracked (cell, ipad, notebook, laptop etc) then the machine would not be able to find you.  I realize there are a ton of people in the world who have these things, but not as many as you might think.

Yes, it studied your past to predict your future.  But unless you have something on you that can be digitally tracked (cell, ipad, notebook, laptop etc) then the machine would not be able to find you.  I realize there are a ton of people in the world who have these things, but not as many as you might think.

I thought it also was able to somehow track you through a DNA scan. (You might as well say that HYDRA had a demon that could track every single human soul, it'd be more realistic.) :lol:

It detects the target's DNA at long range by smelling passed gas...yet another reason why your mom told you to not do that at the dinner table.

Excuse me, oh shit, it can track me now.

• Like 1

BTW, it's really interesting how the film celebrates ScarJo leaking the documents to the public. Clearly, these films look favorably on Snowden. In comparison, Jonathan Nolan's (he wrote The Dark Knight) Person of Interest-a TV show on CBS-had a similar "leaked info plot" this week and Nolan depicted his Snowden figure as both good and bad. It should be interesting to see how other works of art comment on this matter. 

• Like 1

It's not the same as Snowden. Widow wasn't leaking documents because she believes in civil liberties and that surveillance and covert ops are bad. She leaked the documents because it was the only way to rip out HYDRA's heart, by forcing the world to purge SHIELD and root out all of the corruption.

It's not the same as Snowden. Widow wasn't leaking documents because she believes in civil liberties and that surveillance and covert ops are bad. She leaked the documents because it was the only way to rip out HYDRA's heart, by forcing the world to purge SHIELD and root out all of the corruption.

True, but it was an obvious nod to Snowden's actions.

• Like 1

Got to see it today, after wanting to see it Friday or Saturday but couldn't because of a back strain. But anyways, This movie kicks serious ass. Absolutely loved it. Not just one of the better Marvel movies, but it's one of the better superhero films. Keep 'em coming Marvel!

A

• Like 1

I think I'm halfway between Tele and everyone else on this. I loved how thoughtful and provocative the story ended up being, putting S.H.I.E.L.D. in a new light and testing the loyalties and ethics of every major character. But I did feel that the action sequences, well-staged as they may have been, lacked much real drama due to Cap's invincibility. Didn't help that the film also lacked much humor to distract from that feeling. I wish I could think of a way to make him more interesting as fighter, because I do like the character and wish I could get fully invested in his peril like I do with Batman.

I'll give it a B+

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I think I'm halfway between Tele and everyone else on this. I loved how thoughtful and provocative the story ended up being, putting S.H.I.E.L.D. in a new light and testing the loyalties and ethics of every major character. But I did feel that the action sequences, well-staged as they may have been, lacked much real drama due to Cap's invincibility. Didn't help that the film also lacked much humor to distract from that feeling. I wish I could think of a way to make him more interesting as fighter, because I do like the character and wish I could get fully invested in his peril like I do with Batman.

I'll give it a B+

As much as I love the other films from Phase 2, I'm glad this movie didn't have as much comedy as the others.

• Like 1

Also, this film did try to have comedy, so that's a valid complaint.I thought the comedy was hit or miss. One part that I lol'd at though was when Falcon was battling that evil Hydra guy and the Hydra guy kept babbling about how powerful he is, and finally Falcon just goes "Man, shut the hell up." It was perfect because that's exactly what I was thinking. 

• Like 2

Also, this film did try to have comedy, so that's a valid complaint.I thought the comedy was hit or miss. One part that I lol'd at though was when Falcon was battling that evil Hydra guy and the Hydra guy kept babbling about how powerful he is, and finally Falcon just goes "Man, shut the hell up." It was perfect because that's exactly what I was thinking. 

Falcon just speaks for all of us, what we want to say whenever we have to hear yet another villain monologue.

• Like 1

I can't stand how films keep having after credit scenes. Exactly what does it accomplish? 

Fun for one.   I like sitting around going over the movie with my friends while waiting for the after-credits scene.

For those who don't talk to their friends, the benefit might be getting people to actually watch the credits of a movie.   Doesn't hurt to give some props to the people who work so hard on these movies.

I do think the movie would have been a bit stronger with a few scenes showing the populace clamoring for the protection that SHIELD/Hydra would be more than willing to provide. Having Cap attempt to stop a terrorist attack and failing to do so followed by the Marvel Universe version of the Patriot Act being signed would have driven home the 'trade safety for freedom' message that was trying to be conveyed.

One thing about people like Pierce....they always claim the public wants what they are going to give them.   Remember his "People should thank us" line?   In their minds, they are doing a great thing....which of course means they imagine the public is clamoring for it.

• Like 3