Shawn Robbins

CA2: $10.2m Thursday Night (beats Thor2's $7.1m) | $100m+ coming?

And yet their movies are pretty generic, overall.

You could say the same about Nolan movies.

Always the same tone,style, brooding characters, colors and themes.

Marvel has lot more variety than all Nolan's filmography if you think about it.

It s all very subjective anywaw.

• Like 3

Friday, April 4 Update #1: Sources report that Captain America: The Winter Soldier exploded out of the gate on Thursday night to the tune of $10.2 million.

That tops the $7.1 million Thursday evening bow of Thor: The Dark World and sets the Captain's sequel on course for a nine-figure opening weekend that will handily top Fast Five's $86.2 million April record.

Based on the Thursday night-to-weekend multiples of Iron Man 3 (11.1x) and Thor: The Dark World (12.1x),Winter Soldier should land in similar territory for a massive weekend north of $100 million--especially when factoring in the film's strong early word of mouth.

Check BoxOffice later today for further updates on The Winter Soldier's domestic launch day.

Full Story: http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2014-04-01-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-gunning-for-90-million-domestic-launch

Posted Image

Sorry for going off  whatever topics you guys are on. I just really wanted to post this gif  :P

• Like 10

Not a chance. James Cameron > Joss Wheldon. I am not a fan of either of these two.   Avengers did not even come close to Avatar WW gross. 

Thanos vs The Avengers is going to make bank.

Meanwhile people are going to forget why Avatar was such a big deal.

• Like 2

You could say the same about Nolan movies.

Always the same tone,style, brooding characters, colors and themes.

Marvel has lot more variety than all Nolan's filmography if you think about it.

It s all very subjective anywaw.

And what does it say that the immediate rebuttal is Nolan? When did I bring him into anything?

Like the futurist says you can say that about Nolan's movies. 

You could say that, but it'd be disingenuous. Nolan, like any storyteller worth a damn, has certain signatures (perhaps some to his detriment) but you couldn't accuse of making the same movie over and over again.

Besides, isn't Marvel's uniform nature the point? All these characters inhabit the same world. There should be tonal and stylistic consistency.

Action genre also has sci-fi, political thriller,  disaster, monster, comedy, western, ect. 

True but superhero movies have still not tapped unexplored territory like YA (Spidey is the only thing that has come remotely close), feminism (keep being afraid of getting cooties from that WW flick, WB. How is that working out for you so far?), social themes  (this was where Fox dropped the ball BIG TIME with the X-Men), family themed (this was where Fox dropped the ball BIG TIME again with the X-Men AND Fantastic Four) and gangster/noir/gritty street (Fox is great at dropping the ball. This time with Daredevil).

So basically the superhero genre can overlap with any other genre, as long as writers are creative and the studios have balls to back their scripts. 

Plus, "Action genre" also has a sense of sameness to it too.

• Like 3

I'm not talking genre, I'm talking about how the movies are made and presented.

Well Marvel can only go so far. These characters ultimately live in the same universe and ultimately play in the same sandbox.

But I get your point.

• Like 1