Shawn Robbins

CA2: $10.2m Thursday Night (beats Thor2's $7.1m) | $100m+ coming?

That Avengers Effect ramping up again!!

I disagree...I think this is more an "effect" of the excellent buzz and reviews. I thought the first CA was just ok, and one of the weakest stand alone Marvel/Avengers movies...but I was there last night with a bunch of friends because of the buzz and reviews, and I think others may have been too. Plus this time of the year is much better than when Thor2 opened. Oh and CA2 was awesome, should make a good run at $300m+ domestic. Will have great wom.
  • Like 2

Great number! Can't for the weekend figures ...I hope it beats MOS.

Shouldn't be hard. MoS made 9M in previews and made 116M.This is a sequel and there is always a possibility of being frontloaded.

I disagree...I think this is more an "effect" of the excellent buzz and reviews. I thought the first CA was just ok, and one of the weakest stand alone Marvel/Avengers movies...but I was there last night with a bunch of friends because of the buzz and reviews, and I think others may have been too. Plus this time of the year is much better than when Thor2 opened.Oh and CA2 was awesome, should make a good run at $300m+ domestic. Will have great wom.

Buzz=TA effect? CA didn't have TA effect.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Really... Where was that Avengers Effect in Thor? Avengers effect my ass, by now. It died a long time ago.

Thor 2 opened 30% higher than the first... the effect was definitely there. It just wasn't as prominent as CA2's appears to be because it didn't appeal quite as strongly to audiences (for various reasons). Even fan enthusiasm for Thor 2 took a hit before it opened on Thursday night. That didn't happen here.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 11

I think it's more than 'THE AVENGERS' effect. The film is simply amazing, it has created its own 'effect'.

I think this shows that there is an Avengers effect and it works best if the individual film is really high quality. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 7

Thor 2 opened 30% higher than the first... the effect was definitely there. It just wasn't as prominent as CA2's appears to be because it didn't appeal quite as strongly to audiences (for various reasons).

TA's effect. Seems some are missing what the term is. TA's effect is fallout from the Avengers box office and fallout from the movie which CA2 has the most which leads into TA2.