Dementeleus

Weekend #s April 4-6 (Cap2: 96.2, Noah 17, Divergent 13)

• Founder / Operator

Loading up my day with controversial superhero films, Iron Man 2 ---> TDKR ----> Man of Steel.

I feel think if we're using "controversial" to describe TDKR, the word's lost all meaning. But... I see what you're getting at. ;)

• Like 1

Because Tom Hooper had a vision of brilliant "live" performances.

I thought the live singing was the idea of Cameron Mackintosh? to me. it worked for Les Mis but it wouldn't work for other musicals although I think a mix of prerecorded and live singing would be great for Miss Saigon when they eventually make that into a film.

I feel think if we're using "controversial" to describe TDKR, the word's lost all meaning. But... I see what you're getting at. ;)

Polarizing might be more accurate. I think each film produces strong opinions.

You mean disappointing and boring.  :ph34r:

But TDKR to me is like spinach to Popeye. Same with Justin Hammer dancing

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Loading up my day with controversial superhero films, Iron Man 2 ---> TDKR ----> Man of Steel.

My problem with IM2 was that if you take away all the action scenes, the actual story of movie is boring as shit.

I don't know why they just didn't do the epic Armor Wars story from the Iron Man comics. Talk about wasted movie!

It's a shame we will never get Armor Wars with RDJ. Maybe we will get that with the new Stark actor in the near future? :wacko:

Yeah. 3D's definitely become a kid-driven format over the last few years. I don't think that's surprising at all, but it takes a real WOM-driven movie to get a big audience to drop dime on the format.

It is infuriating that the theaters won't put more showtimes in 2D on the biggest screens. All about the 3D money grab.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

It is infuriating that the theaters won't put more showtimes in 2D on the biggest screens. All about the 3D money grab.

Double so for IMAX movies. I always have to hope there's a theater near me that splits 2D and 3D showtimes each day on their premium screens (RPX, BigD, etc.)

• Like 1

I'll give Marvel credit for interesting directorial hires, and for not going the Ratner-esque route. But the downside to many of their directors is that there isn't this singular vision in terms of actually maximizing the ideas onscreen.

Your 2nd sentence went above my head but it sounded good.  Upvote.   ;)

I think GOTG could be the film to test Marvel's drawing power, but if it hits like I think it will then anything will likely be a hit from them

I heard somewhat yell "what?!" when Rocket Raccoon showed up.  There was general laughter during those short clips of him shooting.  I think overall there was a positive reaction.  

I see Ghost Rider 2 has entered the FX rotation. The only Marvel movie I haven't seen. Gonna record it and watch it later  :ph34r:

I still can't believe Idris Elba's in it

• Like 1

The best 3D film I saw (meaning the use of 3D) is Journey to the Center of the Earth.  In that film, objects were right in front of my face.  I actually tried to touch the T-Rex as his mouth jumped off the screen.  That's 3D.  Not this bullshit they have now.

Yeah, Journey to the Center of the Earth had great 3D.  :)

Had a bunch of previews before CA and only two got real reactions.  People seemed really interested in that Scarlett Johansen movie Lucy and people seemed to hate GOTG.  I thought it looked ridiculous...not funny and not exciting.  I've seen all the recent Marvel films, but will not be attending that one.

I see Ghost Rider 2 has entered the FX rotation. The only Marvel movie I haven't seen. Gonna record it and watch it later  :ph34r:

I still can't believe Idris Elba's in it

Money. He wasn't very famous at the time.

GR2 is so bad. I still can't believe they did a worst movie than the first. And the first was already quite bad.

• Like 1

Double so for IMAX movies. I always have to hope there's a theater near me that splits 2D and 3D showtimes each day on their premium screens (RPX, BigD, etc.)

That's pretty darn rare for IMAX. The theater near me is splitting CA2 shows on its RPX screen, but I have no idea how large the screen is. I have a strong suspicion it's not really much different than it was before (this was an "upgraded" regular screen).

There is a new theater with a premium large format screen they call "EPIC (Experience Perfection In Cinema)" and it's a pretty nice sized screen. 68 feet wide, almost 40 feet tall. Also has Dolby Atmos sound. Unfortunately they only show stuff in 3D if the film is released in 3D. I saw Thor 2 in 3D there, but I'd really like to avoid it if possible.

Edited by redfirebird2008

One of the nice things about Man of Steel is that they had 1-2 2D IMAX showings a day. I wish more theaters experimented with that.

• Like 2

The Walking Dead has some amazing episodes. But my god, it can be quite fucking awful sometimes.

Yeah, any episode that features Carl.  That kid is worse than any child actor on a Disney Channel show.  Always hoping a zombie makes a nice meal out of him.

Desperately hoping to hear "Look at the flowers, Carl" soon.

Edited by rainbowtrout