Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

I don't understand the Gravity hate and when it became cool to hate it, when it came out all people did was rave about it.  When it was competing for Oscars, many people cheered it on.  It also won the BOFFIE here if I remember correctly (and was 1st on the composite top 25 movies of 2013 list).

The film is masterly crafted, the only complaints that I ever hear are about the weak script, but somehow that makes the movie trash?  It's like it became the cool thing to start hating on.

It's still my top film from 2013 because I don't bend my opinion based on whatever is the cool thing to do at the time.

I'm sorry you guys didn't have the great experience with GRAVITY that I did.

This is some good tea, sistrens.

Ht6YWDA.gif

Finally decided to see this in 3D. Well. it's not the biggest screen available here, since 3D screens are generally smaller, expect for IMAX. But I'm glad I did it. The 3D did enhance the viewing experience on some scenes, and didn't really take anything from the others. The movie itself was amazing. Matt Damon was great, so was Jessica Chastain. And of course the soundtracks were awesome. Definitely one of the best this year.

Btw there were kids too when I saw this. And they seemed entertained. Aside from the blood near the beginning, and a couple of f-words, I think it's fine for kids to see.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 2

I don't understand the Gravity hate and when it became cool to hate it, when it came out all people did was rave about it.  When it was competing for Oscars, many people cheered it on.  It also won the BOFFIE here if I remember correctly (and was 1st on the composite top 25 movies of 2013 list).

The film is masterly crafted, the only complaints that I ever hear are about the weak script, but somehow that makes the movie trash?  It's like it became the cool thing to start hating on.

It's still my top film from 2013 because I don't bend my opinion based on whatever is the cool thing to do at the time.

I totes agree that you have to stick to your guns and not just jump on a bandwagon. But personally, I remember sitting in the cinema thinking, "I hate the 3D, I hate these characters, I hate the nonsensical story, I'm utterly bored, it feels like I've been here for hours and I want to go home"

I really disliked it when I saw it upon release, and have disliked it ever since.

I totes agree that you have to stick to your guns and not just jump on a bandwagon. But personally, I remember sitting in the cinema thinking, "I hate the 3D, I hate these characters, I hate the nonsensical story, I'm utterly bored, it feels like I've been here for hours and I want to go home"

I really disliked it when I saw it upon release, and have disliked it ever since.

Everybody is wrong at least once in their life.

It's ok.

That's what happens when you have human beings chasing trends and trying to be the "the cool kids." I also remember how ecstatic people around here were with Gravity. Like I said somewhere else, I cannot wait to see what other sci-fi film makes people go, "Meh! The Martian is so overrated!!" Maybe Passengers will do the trick...

• Like 3

Why not? Kids love the idea of being an astronaut. I hear the book has some language, but beyond the "science the **** out of this" line, the trailer didn't make it seem like something wildly unsuitable for children and not all parents really care about shielding their children's delicate ears. Did I miss that it's really Wolf of Wall Street in space or something?

I didn't ask it because I thought it looked like an incredibly inappropriate movie for kids or something. I asked because from seeing the trailer, nothing screams "my kids will love it!" to me.

Just my opinion, and I do know that being an astronaut is one of those professions that is iconic and you see it portrayed in almost every children's book about "What you want to be when you grow up?" (Just like fireman, and cop)  I think it has to do with the visual aspects of the uniforms... :)

It's because there was a lot of hype and had amazing reviews. Its only when the hype dies down and people give it a re-watch that we realise "you know what, Gravity really isn't that great"

It's because there was a lot of hype and had amazing reviews. Its only when the hype dies down and people give it a re-watch that we realise "you know what, Gravity really isn't that great"

A few weeks ago I watched Gravity again on TV and the film was still impressive and touching. 

• Like 1

I have Gravity on Blu-Ray and "Re-entry" scene is still powerful and cathartic. The chills and tears were still as genuine as my first theater viewing. There is something almost religious like witnessing a (re)birth or a resurrection after living through hell and despair. That frame of the burning debris blazing their fiery trails over the graceful mother Earth's blue orbit is visually superb, breathtaking and so evocative. The wonders of Nature and science are a tremendous spiritual experience to reckon with, whether you are atheist/pantheist/monotheist/polytheist, it's like a metaphorical depiction how cellular life was born on Earth. (Like Bullock stumbling on the shore out of the water hammered home). And Steven Price's music is still epic whether it be a giant or a small screen.

• Like 9

Gravity deserves to be periodically re-released in theaters like The Polar Express was; it's one of those movies that really does lose something on the small screen (even if there are people who still enjoy it there).

RE-RELEASE GRAVITY NOW ! 

LIBERATE IT FROM THE UNDESERVING SMALL SCREENS AROUND THE WORLD!!!

Warner, you owe us!!! 

(sh*t I paid for 5 IMAX 3D showings, can I get some coupon for Point Break or that Hemsworth whale movie?)

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 2