Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Yeah, I totally forgot about it. This episode was even blander and more forgettable than the rest of the movie around it.

Also, are the Chinese really that much of a stupid patriots? Sounds horrible.

I believe they are required to be. Or else.

• Like 1

Watched an early show the other day and I really enjoyed it.   Loved how scientific it was and how Matt Survived.   The only beef I would say is the ending was a little Hollywood, lol.   Ridley did a great job as well as the rest of the cast.  I completely understand it's box office thus far, it's a real crowd pleaser.  I have to think about how I rate it against "Intersteller" and "Gravity" though.   

• Like 1

It should finish with $220-230 million.

I like the new thread title.

Once a year I geek out and create an Excel file with a bunch of comparisons and extrapolations to see where a film will wind up (last year I was tracking Edge of Tomorrow to $100 mil. Success!) I had $220 to $230 mil as a possibility still for The Martian but the weekend drop squelched that. It's daily as a percentage of Gravity has fallen to 70% which points to about $208 mil. And it's got to make the vast majority of that remaining money between now and Spectre.

Agree the climax was a bit rich. It was the only point my suspension of disbelief broke down. I thought the movie worked so well as a drama that Hollywood fireworks weren't really necessary.

I like the new thread title.

Once a year I geek out and create an Excel file with a bunch of comparisons and extrapolations to see where a film will wind up (last year I was tracking Edge of Tomorrow to $100 mil. Success!) I had $220 to $230 mil as a possibility still for The Martian but the weekend drop squelched that. It's daily as a percentage of Gravity has fallen to 70% which points to about $208 mil. And it's got to make the vast majority of that remaining money between now and Spectre.

Agree the climax was a bit rich. It was the only point my suspension of disbelief broke down. I thought the movie worked so well as a drama that Hollywood fireworks weren't really necessary.

Well, they have to inject some cool action scenes in order to spice up the largely, mostly rational movie. I saw a couple of teenagers putting their legs, texting, yawning and walked out from the theater with the blah expression other faces. It is really sad now that Hollywood has to keep churning out ridiculously edited movies for the increasingly attention-deficit generation. I remember when my parents told me to "slow down, sip your wine, appreciate life" 

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 2

Well, they have to inject some cool action scenes in order to spice up the largely, mostly rational movie. I saw a couple of teenagers putting their legs, texting, yawning and walked out from the theater with the blah expression other faces. It is really sad now that Hollywood has to keep churning out ridiculously edited movies for the increasingly attention-deficit generation. I remember when my parents told me to "slow down, sip your wine, appreciate life" 

...I fail to see how the movie having pretty much the same climax as the book is "injecting cool action in order to spice up rational movie" or how that makes it "ridiculously edited"

• Like 2

And so what if these are "Hollywood"? I like seeing these movies for the first time, knowing nothing about how they will end. I avoided the book; even though I knew in the back of my mind that

Matt Damon was probably going to make it out alive,

I still wasn't 100% sure. I was shaking and gripping my armrests, much like with Gravity.

For some reason, astronauts-in-peril movies really put me on edge. I guess it's because they even if it's about stuff like Mars exploration or interstellar travel that's not/not yet possible, there is always a feeling to me, something like "something like this could happen to real astronauts, and they would probably have a much greater chance of death."

Edited by TServo2049

And so what if these are "Hollywood"? I like seeing these movies for the first time, knowing nothing about how they will end. I avoided the book; even though I knew in the back of my mind that

Matt Damon was probably going to make it out alive,

I still wasn't 100% sure. I was shaking and gripping my armrests, much like with Gravity.

For some reason, astronauts-in-peril movies really put me on edge. I guess it's because they even if it's about stuff like Mars exploration or interstellar travel that's not/not yet possible, there is always a feeling to me, something like "something like this could happen to real astronauts, and they would probably have a much greater chance of death."

What I didn't like was Sean Bean still being alive.

• Like 2