Dementeleus

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

3 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Wannabe blockbusters don't have the best track record opening on the second weekend in May after the certified blockbuster opens on the weekend before.

True, but it could work well as a counter programming. That is why Tarzan did so well. It was a spectacle movie directed towards adults. GotG is not really the most adult friendly thing.

• Like 1

At least they moved it to a less crowded month. The biggest films in May will be GOTG 2,Alien Covenant and Pirates 5. Let's be honest Gotg2 is the only film that people care about in May, plus it's going to be more family friendly than most marvel films ;so maybe Arthur can find a mature audience. Although I would have pushed it to Memorial Day not the weekend after GOTG2.

Edited by babz06

3 minutes ago, James said:

True, but it could work well as a counter programming. That is why Tarzan did so well. It was a spectacle movie directed towards adults. GotG is not really the most adult friendly thing.

Stop it James. GOTG is a four quadrant movie.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Stop it James. GOTG is a four quadrant movie.

I meant it as in if I showed my dad the two trailers, he would go for Arthur. Tarzan not only skewed adult: it skewed very old. I doubt a 45-50 year old would chose a talking raccoon over a medieval epic (especially when you consider who the director is and what kind of movies he does). 

Edited by James

4 minutes ago, James said:

I meant it as in if I showed my dad the two trailers, he would go for Arthur. Tarzan not only skewed adult: it skewed very old. I doubt a 45-50 year old would chose a talking raccoon over a medieval epic (especially when you consider who the director is and what kind of movies he does). 

That's true, a 40-50 year old probably wouldnt see GOTG unless they had kids. 

We can guess which tentpole WB doesn't have much faith in since Kong and WW kept their original slots. WB have had success with May tentpoles in the second and third week of May with Great Gatsby, Godzilla, Mad Max etc but I'm thinking King Arthur isn't going to be as successful 

Just now, Jonwo said:

We can guess which tentpole WB doesn't have much faith in since Kong and WW kept their original slots. WB have had success with May tentpoles in the second and third week of May with Great Gatsby, Godzilla, Mad Max etc but I'm thinking King Arthur isn't going to be as successful 

The fact this is coming out almost a year after it was originally supposed isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

Devin Faraci said they reshot the all movie back in 2015. I have little hope for this.

Edited by YSLDC
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I would say people over 40 would prefer to see King Arthur. My mom certainly would.

At the same time, those folk could look at the trailer and think that's not how they want their King Arthur.

King Arthur is also probably missing out on IMAX screens because GOTG2 will likely be holding onto them.

4 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

At the same time, those folk could look at the trailer and think that's not how they want their King Arthur.

King Arthur is also probably missing out on IMAX screens because GOTG2 will likely be holding onto them.

King Arthur probably wouldn't have got IMAX in its original slot due to Beauty and the Beast in its second week and I think Ghost in the Shell has IMAX

9 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Devin Faraci said they reshot the all movie back in 2015. I have little hope for this.

If they reshot it, isn't it presumably better than what they originally had? 

STALKER was reshot completely and it's one of the greatest movies ever made (IMO, of course).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

King Arthur probably wouldn't have got IMAX in its original slot due to Beauty and the Beast in its second week and I think Ghost in the Shell has IMAX

King Arthur is locked to get IMAX, whatever his date is. It is in the contract signed between WB and IMAX.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

King Arthur is locked to get IMAX, whatever his date is. It is in the contract signed between WB and IMAX.

I wonder if King Arthur will have limited IMAX screens since Disney will want to have Guardians 2 to have as many IMAX screens as possible. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if King Arthur will have limited IMAX screens since Disney will want to have Guardians 2 to have as many IMAX screens as possible. 

No. King Arthur will take all the IMAX screens. Maybe some will keep a show per day for GotG2 but that is it.

• Like 1