grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

The truth is that individual critics are becoming more and more irrelevant. I’d say people are more aware of stuff like aggregate RT scores these days, but there are very few Roger Eberts/Pauline Kaels who are extremely skilled writers, and even fewer traditional critics who actually command a big audience. I’d wager to guess that much more YouTube creators have actual sway over a decent audience than any individual writing for the NYT or Variety. It’s a big problem for journalism in general, and I sympathize with the freelance writers, but no one should expect WB to go to any lengths to please critics, when most studios are probably starting to realize that traditional written reviews just don’t move the needle. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's Joever for other Oscar contenders. Gosling is finally winning! 🏆:bravo:

He has more award clips in this montage than some winners in the whole movie.

I'm afraid Oscars are not that enamored with comedies. But a nom should be achievable

• Like 1

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Do not watch the Ken dance clip lol. It's a moment/song best enjoyed with very little context

But obviously everyone will watch it.. and I think that spot is what will push the movie the extra inch for 100m and ignite the Oscar talk for Gosling

Honestly that spot is the best they released so far. It's going to be rewatched forever. And yes, if there's justice, Gosling will win.

9 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Do not watch the Ken dance clip lol. It's a moment/song best enjoyed with very little context

But obviously everyone will watch it.. and I think that spot is what will push the movie the extra inch for 100m and ignite the Oscar talk for Gosling

Given how ludicrous the numbers are starting to be on tracking 100M already felt like a near lock well before this clip imo

Hell there are suggestions that 20M+ previews are within the range of possibilities

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm afraid Oscars are not that enamored with comedies. But a nom should be achievable

For over a decade Best Actor couldn't be won without the Picture nomination yet Fraser broke that stat. Comedy stat should be easier to break especially if WB frauds Gosling in Supporting. 

Edited by Valonqar

25 minutes ago, Dephira said:

The truth is that individual critics are becoming more and more irrelevant. I’d say people are more aware of stuff like aggregate RT scores these days, but there are very few Roger Eberts/Pauline Kaels who are extremely skilled writers, and even fewer traditional critics who actually command a big audience. I’d wager to guess that much more YouTube creators have actual sway over a decent audience than any individual writing for the NYT or Variety. It’s a big problem for journalism in general, and I sympathize with the freelance writers, but no one should expect WB to go to any lengths to please critics, when most studios are probably starting to realize that traditional written reviews just don’t move the needle. 

This is a wild thing to say right after reviews destroyed the hype for The Flash and Indiana Jones. Meanwhile Spiderverse is killing it. GoG3 is doing well. Going to the movies is expensive. For tentpoles now, good reviews are needed to maintain legs / overperform. Good reviews are the difference between many average movie goers watching it in theaters or choosing to wait for streaming.

Reviews absolutely still matter.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

For over a decade Best Actor couldn't be won without the Picture nomination yet Fraser broke that stat. Comedy stat should be easier to break especially if WB frauds Gosling in Supporting. 

He will go Supporting and the category favors comedic standouts in hits-- Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), Whoppi Goldberg (Ghost), Cuba Gooding Jr (Jerry Maguire), Allison Janney (I Tonya), Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinny), Mira Sorvino (Mighty Aphrodite), John Gielgud (Arthur), Kevin Kline (Fish Called Wanda), Jack Palance (City Slickers)

A major unrewarded Leading star winning in Supporting would also mirror like Christian Bale and George Clooney

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He will go Supporting and the category favors comedic standouts in hits-- Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), Whoppi Goldberg (Ghost), Cuba Gooding Jr (Jerry Maguire), Allison Janney (I Tonya), Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinny), Mira Sorvino (Mighty Aphrodite), John Gielgud (Arthur), Kevin Kline (Fish Called Wanda), Jack Palance (City Slickers)

A major unrewarded Leading star winning in Supporting would also mirror like Christian Bale and George Clooney

i can see a nomination, but i just don't see how he beats what might be the last time they can ever award arguably the greatest living American actor with De Niro

Does Gosling have enough screentime to go lead?

I mean, a win doesn't really do anything to his career right now. Even if he gets nominated by loses, the next time he gets nominated he may have a better shot. But this looks like such a fun nomination if it is to happen!

Just now, TMP said:

i can see a nomination, but i just don't see how he beats what might be the last time they can ever award arguably the greatest living American actor with De Niro

I love DeNiro and he'd probably be my prediction for runner-up but Gladstone is going to be the real MVP of Flower Moon. DeNiro notoriously doesn't campaign, either, and SLP has been his first nomination since 1990. There wasn't a rush to reward him there when they easily could have over Christoph Waltz