grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

3 hours ago, joselowe said:

First mixed review I’ve seen so far. Weird because he actually like TLM like Grace Randolph did.

not saying this guy’s one of them but there’ll be a shitload of YouTube backlash videos in the next few weeks. A wildly popular feminist movie is a goldmine for a certain kind of content creator with a certain kind of audience.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

not saying this guy’s one of them but there’ll be a shitload of YouTube backlash videos in the next few weeks. A wildly popular feminist movie is a goldmine for a certain kind of content creator with a certain kind of audience.

I feel like if that was the case Grace Randolph would have already tweeted about it by now since she had already been talking about a potential conservative backlash against the film, but the fact the movie has apparently won her over makes me think that the film may not be as a politically divisive as some feared it would be

Honestly, if the movie becomes a massive hit its more likely that those crazy YouTubers will simply use its success as a way to bash both Disney and the little mermaid. So sadly be prepared for a lot videos praising barbie for keeping the character blond and white while trashing Disney for casting a person of color as the little mermaid

Edited by roxas11
  • Like 1

I can see how it would absolutely suit studios for critics and influencers to be indiscernible:

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roxas11 said:

I feel like if that was the case Grace Randolph would have already tweeted about it by now since she had already been talking about a potential conservative backlash against the film, but the fact the movie has apparently won her over makes me think that the film may not be as a politically divisive as some feared it would be

Honestly, if the movie becomes a massive hit its more likely that those crazy YouTubers will simply use its success as a way to bash both Disney and the little mermaid. So sadly be prepared for a lot videos praising barbie for keeping the character blond and white while trashing Disney for casting a person of color as the little mermaid

I'm not sure why people think most conservatives are going to hate this movie.

This movie has two blonde white people as the main leads. And the movie doesn't seem to do anything with the protagonists that conservatives would really hate.

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

This movie has two blonde white people as the main leads. And the movie doesn't seem to do anything with the protagonists that conservatives would really hate.

Conservatives rarely have any good reasons to hate the movies they do, but it's more about what topics certain youtubers think they can monetize. Clearly the movie will be hugely popular regardless.

Edited by Hatebox

31 minutes ago, Kon said:

All the I'm Just Ken piece and lyrics is basically a parody of people "i'm going to organize the straight pride - all lives matters".

The point Is they're not gonna understand the jokes until someone will tell them .

Edited by vale9001

I don't care for the political backlash for this movie the alt-right youtubers will find anything to cling on that makes for a headline that fits their narrative. I'm just happy that after this Greta Gerwig is probably now going to be the first female director to be a household name, along with Nolan, Cameron, Spielberg and the likes. Even if she spends the next few years make commercial IP Netflix films like Narnia, she could write an original script, direct it and have it generate the buzz Tarantino or maybe even Nolan can. As long as this gets 70s or higher on metacritic I can see a path for Gerwig to get another director nomination because this is a movie where the attention to detail shines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

All the I'm Just Ken piece and lyrics is basically a parody of people "i'm going to organize the straight pride - all lives matters".

The point Is they're not gonna understand the jokes until someone will tell them .

I suspect most people won't understand that joke, since I've seen a good amount of (non-conservative) people who feel sorry for Ken in that song.

That said, I've understand your point that this movie could be "subtle" in some aspects.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1