grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

can imagine how high this would have really gone if they had cast an actual human ken doll in the lead alongside Ryan to really excite the female audience 

Spoiler

josh-hartnett.gif 

• Knock It Off 1

10 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Why do you make an account called barbie to hate Barbie Movie and Margot is the real question 😇

Barbie enjoy our club about Barbie being a smash

saying it wont make 100m OW is not hating it, its being realistic lol i hope it smashes hard for margod's sake tho...

Edited by Barbie

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Just waiting some word on reviews before entering the +100M club, but yeah is definitely possible

Reviews will good. There might be some complaints of the second act, the real world sequences or the America Ferrara subplot but the overall comedy and emotion combined with Greta's critical consistency and Gosling's iconic performance will greatly elevate the reception. I just think this movie will be exactly what everyone wants but in ways they weren't expecting it (compliment). Probably 80s on MC, high 80s on RT (maybe low 90s?)

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Reviews will good. There might be some complaints of the second act, the real world sequences or the America Ferrara subplot but the overall comedy and emotion combined with Greta's critical consistency and Gosling's iconic performance will greatly elevate the reception. I just think this movie will be exactly what everyone wants but in ways they weren't expecting it (compliment). Probably 80s on MC, high 80s on RT (maybe low 90s?)

I’m hoping, since everything about this movie goes viral on social media i think bad scores would hurt it badly 

With something like 77-82 on MC and 88-92% on RT i think it will 100% blow up

39 minutes ago, excel1 said:

can imagine how high this would have really gone if they had cast an actual human ken doll in the lead alongside Ryan to really excite the female audience 

Reveal hidden contents

Man recently I read a survey about 10 hottest men for women and Ryan Gosling was in the top 10.

So be serious 💀 also Ken  has a very fun role, doesn't have to be just beautiful so It's good to have Ryan, he seems very good from the trailer. The desaparecidos actor you quote is average and seems also even oldest than Ryan. 

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

...have you seen this?

• Thanks 1

I’m still wondering who the audience for this is tbh… is there really room for an ironic, meta Barbie movie to break out beyond 250-300m WW? I love Gerwig and I’m sure the movie will be good so I’m rooting for it… all objective metrics like trailer views and tracking look good, so maybe my gut is just wrong on this one. 

THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME opened too the 4th biggest opening weekend ever in 1999.

There is room for these types of films when they really hit. The penetration into the pop culture zeitgeist is immense.

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

I hope this is well received, Robbie deserves it after her miserable 2022. 

I agree with this. I also hate how Grace Randolph look down on her as if the box office failures of her past movies were simply just because of her.

21 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I agree with this. I also hate how Grace Randolph look down on her as if the box office failures of her past movies were simply just because of her.

Grace is clearly jealous that Robbie is not only beyond stunning classic beauty but seems to have an extremely warm, good natured personality to match. IDK who her husband is but guy is one of the luckiest men on planet. 

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME opened too the 4th biggest opening weekend ever in 1999.

There is room for these types of films when they really hit. The penetration into the pop culture zeitgeist is immense.

Sex and The City opened to 57M on 3,200 screens in 2008 with an R-rating. 

• Like 2

A key question will be, does the humour translate well internationally? Or even beyond the US in some cases? That can be a challenge. 

“Basically everything men do in your world, women do in ours”

If you live in a country that has actually had a recent female president / prime minister, you might raise your eyebrows at that. 

if