DeeCee

MCU:What is the Number One Problem?

Nobody dies.As much as I love what Marvel has achieved it's about time somebody died.

Assuming we're not counting villains, military mooks or bystanders, Yinsen, Frigga and most of the cast of The First Avenger (including Erskine onscreen). And possibly Odin. Oh, and this isn't even getting into Agents of SHIELD.

Also, why is 'not having major characters die' a problem? Many of my favourite films don't have any major characters dying in them. And while it's certainly true that a well done death scene can to add to a film, a poorly done and unnecessary death can equally subtract, as well as throwing away any potential for more stories to be told about that character.

• Like 1

Playing it safe. Structurally the same shit over and over. Lack of personality. Imo.

The Marvel project as a whole is a very ambitious undertaking, but individually the movies feel too much alike. It's like every time I watch a Marvel movie (this also applies to comic book movies in general), I know exactly what to expect. To some that's enough, provided it's a good time at the movies. To me it's not.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 4

Nobody dies.As much as I love what Marvel has achieved it's about time somebody died.

It's not that big a problem. Star Trek got away with killing and resurrecting Spock and the result is one of the best final five minutes to any franchise.

I think the problem is having everything tie into The Avengers. It makes things be more constrictive and narrowly tailored.

Edited by Numbers of House Stark
  • Like 1

Did you catch the last statement by Feige on this? Said that sometimes characters will die and not comeback but other times they will come back.

• Founder / Operator

Hammy villains.

I enjoy them in appropriate doses as much as the next guy, and they come with the territory in comic book movies. But aside from Loki and Winter Soldier, Marvel has a serious lack of character-driven, believable threats to our heroes. I think that's one of the main reasons Coulson's death in Avengers had as much as impact as it did.

Stane gets an honorable mention, but once the armor goes in the third act of IM1...

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

Needs more Chrises. I'm partial to Chris Tucker. In seriousness, I want more diversity on many fronts: races, genders, and controversial I know, but would be cool to see diversity in sexual orientations as well. Basically what Marvel comics have been demonstrating for years.

• Like 1

Well, one-liners and childish humor, lack of any serious, deep moments, beyond awful and weak villains (like Loki has the power of that scepter and an army and he still gets his ass kicked; the Hulk beating scene at the end made me roll my eyes; the villains are de-powered and there's no serious threat). Zero memorable soundtrack pieces. Transformers has a memorable theme, Pirates has, Lotr, MOS have etc. Also, maybe the biggest problem are the one-dimensional main characters. IM aside, they are so perfectly good and honourable it's laughable.They have no personaliy.

• Like 1

Well, one-liners and childish humor, lack of any serious, deep moments, beyond awful and weak villains (like Loki has the power of that scepter and an army and he still gets his ass kicked; the Hulk beating scene at the end made me roll my eyes; the villains are de-powered and there's no serious threat). Zero memorable soundtrack pieces. Transformers has a memorable theme, Pirates has, Lotr, MOS have etc.Also, maybe the biggest problem are the one-dimensional main characters. IM aside, they are so perfectly good and honourable it's laughable.They have no personaliy.

Squaremaster, is that you?

• Like 1

It's not that big a problem. Star Trek got away with killing and resurrecting Spock and the result is one of the best final five minutes to any franchise.I think the problem is having everything tie into The Avengers. It makes things be more constrictive and narrowly tailored.

But in Star Trek the second movie ends with him dead. We go 2 years until he is alive again, not only that it takes the whole 3rd movie to get him back.... They also kill Kirks son in the 3rd movie. Star Trek had some balls. Agreed on everything having to tie into the Avengers. IM2, Thor, Cap 2 all suffered this greatly

Playing it safe. Structurally the same shit over and over. Lack of personality. Imo.The Marvel project as a whole is a very ambitious undertaking, but individually the movies feel too much alike. It's like every time I watch a Marvel movie (this also applies to comic book movies in general), I know exactly what to expect. To some that's enough, provided it's a good time at the movies. To me it's not.

This