grim22

Weekend #'s April 25-27 TOW: 24.7, Cap2 16.05,

Yeah, people getting all mad about it a few years ago always seemed strange to me. It's like hating on a goldfish or something. What the fuck has a goldfish ever done to deserve that shit?

Posted Image

• Like 1

The Artist was brilliant. One of the best films of the past few years. No current American actor could have carried off that performance. The film deserved every accolade it got.

This truly boggles my mind. The performances weren't the problem at all (they were strong), but the story and style were just awful. 

• Like 3

This truly boggles my mind. The performances weren't the problem at all (they were strong), but the story and style were just awful.

I first saw it on a Tuesday morning at 9am at a press screening at the London film festival. Everyone grumbled like crazy before it started: a black and white film? Silent? No big stars? This early?Whine, whinge, whinge. Whine.Then we settled down to watch it.Two hours later the cinema erupted in a spontaneous standing ovation. 350 people. We loved it.What boggles one person's mind touches another person's heart.
  • Like 3

I thought The Artist was a bit..simple in terms of story and dragged toward the end, but I really enjoyed the actors. I remember going to see it and seeing the signs at the ticket booth with warnings it was a silent movie, I guess there had been complaints earlier, lol, look up what you're going to see before buying a ticket and if not, don't try getting your money back just b/c you didn't like it!

The Artist won Best Picture because they liked it, obviously, but also saw The Help as more of an acting showcase (highest grossing BP nominee that year by far yet couldn't sniff Best Director) and George Clooney as a schlub The Descendants was just Up in the Air v2.0, ran out of steam too soon (Shailene snubbed!) and George Clooney in boring khakis wasn't enough for people to think he deserved Best Actor and propel the movie to the BP win. Hugo got relegated to being a kids' thing and Midnight In Paris wasn't going to happen, either. And there was really nothing else that had a shot to win, so there was an opening, much like it was a couple of years earlier with The Hurt Locker. I mean, not to malign its quality but if it had been up against something like The King's Speech or Argo, it probably doesn't have the same path to victory.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

The Artist was another Harvey Jedi Mind Trick.  The worst film to ever win best picture....yes worse than The ABC afterschool special that won in1998.

• Like 2