CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Let’s face it: Is there any little boy right now that isn’t tugging on their Dad’s shirt sleeve asking to go see Spider-Man? It’s what the industry refers to as a four-quadrant picture, meaning basically it plays across all demos. It has a B+ CinemaScore and an A- for those under 25, so word of mouth will carry it well. Good for director Marc Webb and producers Matt Tolmach and Avi Arad along with the films’ bevy of writers. Have been watching and asking questions on this this today, and the franchise was about 20% to 22% behindCaptain America: The Winter Soldier all day, but kicked into gear this evening after grossing $8.7M last night in late shows. Remember, the $10.2M that the Cap did in late shows last month was 15% ahead of ASM2‘s $8.7M last night, but you got to take into account that the Captain got the added bonus of what was estimated to be a 14% surge from Spring Breakers which pushed it into a three-day gross of $95M

Very objective reporting here.  Well done.

• Like 4

This just in....AVENGERS AGE OF ULTRON has moved to the first week of April because it is now a better spot to open than the first week of May.  In fact, SW is no longer opening in December, it too has decided to open day and date with Avengers because March break is still happening in the first week of April.

• Like 5

It will be interesting to see what Sony does if these movies start underperforming (too early to tell here)?  If they start losing money on these Spidey films they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  If they stop making them the rights revert back to Disney.  

• Like 1

The robust early results should provide reassurance to Hollywood that Spider-Man still carries a strong appeal at multiplexes and that audiences are primed for summer tentpole fare now that month of May has arrived.

So is dat May date to blame or not? The different spin from different outlets is confusing me

• Like 2

Are we just too jaded?  I guess a 90 million dollar opening weekend is good but there are so many other factors that go into what is good and not good....budget, previous films, the wOM and possible multiplier.  Would 90 million be a great opening for a film like Godzilla?  Nope, it would outstanding.  But a frontloaded sequel that cost about 400 million dollars to make?  Yea, colour all of unimpressed.

• Like 3

So is dat May date to blame or not? The different spin from different outlets is confusing me

May date isn't to blame.There are two key factors to blame for this films performance.The Amazing Spider-Man.The Amazing Spider-Man 2.In that order.
  • Like 5

Are we just too jaded?  I guess a 90 million dollar opening weekend is good but there are so many other factors that go into what is good and not good....budget, previous films, the wOM and possible multiplier.  Would 90 million be a great opening for a film like Godzilla?  Nope, it would outstanding.  But a frontloaded sequel that cost about 400 million dollars to make?  Yea, colour all of unimpressed.

Yeah, people are jaded. It's like being unimpressed if a film only hits $300m. Even with inflation and such, these are hard marks to hit with any consistency.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what Sony does if these movies start underperforming (too early to tell here)?  If they start losing money on these Spidey films they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  If they stop making them the rights revert back to Disney.  

I wonder. Do they have to use Spider-Man in a film, or any character from his portfolio? Cause if not, they can do a Venom movie, with neither hide nor hair of Spidey. Even if a Venom movie doesn't do well enough for a sequel, they can still buy themselves almost 10 years of Spidey cooling off. And if Venom does do well enough, even longer! Sadly, Sony is waaayyyy too desperate for a franchise, and in too bad a financial situation to really take a chance like that.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 2

I swear that I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but if it weren't for The AVENGERS making 207M OW, we'd probably be a little less jaded, but that movie raised the bar BIG TIME that will not be broken any time soon, at least til next May with TA2..

I don't really think so.There's three movies called Spider-man that would be making us say "meh" to this opening, Avengers or not.
  • Like 3

Well I expected more from a Spider Man movie. At least 100m opening. They can spin that 30% higher opening than TASM1 all they want. But the truth is TASM1 opened on a Tuesday so it made a good chunk of money before the weekend. 

• Like 5

Meanwhile... Disney is chuckling evilly in the corner. ;)

• Like 1