lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

Personally, I'm pegging the "LG execs are satisfied"/"instant sequel" point at $148M DOM. That's assuming a grand total budget of $180M, a 41% domestic share of its worldwide gross, and a minimum satisfactory return of 10%. Like I said above, though, if BO.com's projected 2.89x multiplier is accurate, then that means the film needs to pull a $51M OW, which is well above current forecasts.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

The movie's likely already profitable, based off licensing and foreign presales.

I'm not so sure about that, as there is a third company involved beyond the two obvious ones of Lionsgate and Saban Brands: Toei, the Japanese creator of Super Sentai and co-owner of Power Rangers.  It would be reasonable to think that if this movie does well in Japan, most of that money is going to Toei, not Lionsgate.  And the movie toys are being released right alongside the new Ninja Steel toys from the TV show, so there are competing toys even from Bandai itself.

37 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Outside of the internet, I haven't seen a thing for this film.

Wouldn't know it was coming.

It feels to me like the actors for the new TV season Ninja Steel have gotten more hype than the actors for the movie have received at this point.  Maybe it is because the official Power Rangers Twitter account is promoting more of Ninja Steel at the moment, with that airing new episodes?

Just now, Outrageous! said:

I'm not so sure about that, as there is a third company involved beyond the two obvious ones of Lionsgate and Saban Brands: Toei, the Japanese creator of Super Sentai and co-owner of Power Rangers.  It would be reasonable to think that if this movie does well in Japan, most of that money is going to Toei, not Lionsgate.  And the movie toys are being released right alongside the new Ninja Steel toys from the TV show, so there are competing toys even from Bandai itself.

It's pretty standard for Lionsgate to sell off foreign rights to minimize their financial burden, though. 

Yeh, I even just checked the official website and there's no promotional partners listed.

No toys in the shops, nothing in Empire/Total Film, no TV spots, I haven't seen the trailer once in the cinema, no promotional ads on social media, no tie ins.

Very strange. Typical LionsGate.

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Is no one going to mention those tweets Lionsgate sent out yesterday from this movies account?

Random pictures of the Power Rangers with valentine's quotes on them like "I get a kick out of you".

:lol::lol::lol:

Lionsgate marketing department is fucked.

Here is one they sent out focusing on four of the Rangers.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:16 AM, Krissykins said:

Yeh, I even just checked the official website and there's no promotional partners listed.

No toys in the shops, nothing in Empire/Total Film, no TV spots, I haven't seen the trailer once in the cinema, no promotional ads on social media, no tie ins.

Very strange. Typical LionsGate.

They finally released a poster:

And another international poster:

After seeing the news about Infinity War last night, I thought about this movie, and how this movie is starting off so far behind the competition, as an origin story.  And it also reminded me of the disappointment of "Legendary Battle" after the hype for that, so I am not expecting more than a standard superhero origin story from this movie.

power rangers is screening at the same film festival that logan is screening at to build oscar buzz, and they have no reason to try to sell the film there because they have european distribution partners already, could power ranger be aiming for an oscar?

Looks like the movie was screen in Berlin at Berlinale (the international film festival). Logan is being screened there.

oGKQ00I.jpg

http://www.rangercrew.com/forum/showthread.php?32202-Saban-s-Power-Rangers-Movie-Discussion/page632

8 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

power rangers is screening at the same film festival that logan is screening at to build oscar buzz, and they have no reason to try to sell the film there because they have european distribution partners already, could power ranger be aiming for an oscar?

Looks like the movie was screen in Berlin at Berlinale (the international film festival). Logan is being screened there.

There's a movie opening the week before that is far, far, far more likely to have Oscar buzz.  There is a lot of time for movies in between now and early 2018.  Maybe Lionsgate was already attending this event before, and just decided to show Power Rangers because it is making its debut soon? And this seems typical of the Ranger fandom lately: getting carried away trying to think the movie is going to change everything about Power Rangers, and everyone's opinion about Power Rangers, by itself.  I'm just not seeing this movie doing something like that, especially, as I just mentioned, Infinity War already has substantial hype behind it, for a movie that won't be out for over a year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Here is one they sent out focusing on four of the Rangers.

They finally released a poster:

And another international poster:

After seeing the news about Infinity War last night, I thought about this movie, and how this movie is starting off so far behind the competition, as an origin story.  And it also reminded me of the disappointment of "Legendary Battle" after the hype for that, so I am not expecting more than a standard superhero origin story from this movie.

Promotional Partners, not posters.

The posters are nice though.

5 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

No, just... No, OK?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Blankments said:

Got the trailer at LEGO Batman

Looks like a hilarious mess lol

It was mentioned on Rangercrew some had the trailer in front of John Wick 2.  I know it is another Lionsgate release, but it is odd to see the Power Rangers trailer playing in front of that R-rated movie, and I'm not surprised by the reaction.