Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

So what exactly is it? Organized orgy?

Organized Skype chat where we pray for RTH to grace us with his presence.

PM me your Skype contacts everyone if you want to get an invite.

Anybody thinks the current batch of R-rated comedies are bland at best. BRIDESMAIDS, TAKE HIM TO THE GREEK are funny in the trailers but just plain awful as a feature length movie. TED is funny as a series of sketches. Remember something like JERRY MAGUIRE? Pure syrup but it has recognizable cinematic parts. These current gross-out, shock-jock types of movies are not really movies. An episode of CALIFORNICATION is much better, because it only last for 30 minutes.

• Like 3

Anybody thinks the current batch of R-rated comedies are bland at best. BRIDESMAIDS, TAKE HIM TO THE GREEK are funny in the trailers but just plain awful as a feature length movie. TED is funny as a series of sketches. Remember something like JERRY MAGUIRE? Pure syrup but it has recognizable cinematic parts. These current gross-out, shock-jock types of movies are not really movies. An episode of CALIFORNICATION is much better, because it only last for 30 minutes.

For the most part, I agree.  I would definitely put Neighbors into that category.  But I think Bridesmaids (while it does have some of that humor) is one of the best comedies in the past 5 years.

But again, for the most part I agree with your sentiments.  It's not particularly good writing and often times is the easy, disposable laugh.

Organized Skype chat where we pray for RTH to grace us with his presence.

PM me your Skype contacts everyone if you want to get an invite.

like so

Posted Image

Edited by a2k

For those who saw Neighbors and TOW was there any significant difference in quality that got the first a 75% RT with an avg in the 6s and the other a 24% with an avg in the 4? 

Or was just the usual overrate a man-boy comedy/ piss on a female comedy thing?

RT Consensus seems one gets applauded for what it is the other gets censured for not being more than low brow.  Is that accurate or was it more  matter of better execution?

With plenty of bawdy humor evenly spread between its well-matched stars, Neighbors earns its R rating -- and filmgoers' laughs.

The Other Woman definitely boasts a talented pedigree, but all that skill is never fully brought to bear on a story that settles for cheap laughs instead of reaching its empowering potential.

Edited by TalismanRing

There's Something About Mary, Eddie Murphy in the 80s, Blazing Saddles, National Lampoon's Vacation>>>R rated comedies of today

• Like 2

For those who saw Neighbors and TOW was there any significant difference in quality that got the first a 75% RT with an avg in the 6s and the other a 24% with an avg in the 4? 

Or was just the usual overrate a man-boy comedy/ piss on a female comedy thing?

RT Consensus seems one gets applauded for what it is the other gets censured for not being more than low brow.  Is that accurate or was it more  matter of better execution?

I have not seen TOW yet but in my opinion the score is too high for Neighbors.  It's borderline ridiculous at points.  Solid overall, but yeah not 75% solid.

• Like 1

Bridesmaids and Jerry Maguire are great films, especially Jerry Maguire. 

There's Something About Mary, Eddie Murphy in the 80s, Blazing Saddles, National Lampoon's Vacation>>>R rated comedies of today

I'd add Animal House, Slap Shot, Spinal Tap, Trading Places.

But then it's just not R rated comedies.  Where's this generation's Princess Bride or The Apartment?  And don't get me started on the death of Romantic Comedy.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I'd add Animal House, Slap Shot, Spinal Tap, Trading Places But then it's just not R rated comedies.  We're this generations Princess Bride or The Apartment?  And don't get me started on the death of Romantic Comedy.

Ahh, Trading Places. Only you and Gene Wilder could do black face and not offend me.

I'd add Animal House, Slap Shot, Spinal Tap, Trading Places

But then it's just not R rated comedies.  We're this generations Princess Bride or The Apartment?  And don't get me started on the death of Romantic Comedy.

It's because of the world we live in today.  Everyone is too cynical for something as pure and simple as The Princess Bride to come along and embrace it.  It didn't even really succeed then either though...

• Like 1

It's because of the world we live in today.  Everyone is too cynical for something as pure and simple as The Princess Bride to come along and embrace it.  It didn't even really succeed then either though...

The Princess Bride is just so...relaxing. It's one of those films...there's really nothing wrong with it,

Nikki is probably still hung over from all the booze, so she needs some recovery time. Deadline people most likely are standing guard by the phone waiting for a call from Sony before they can report any numbers. Just be patience ya'll.

• Like 2