Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

My guess is Rogen is getting some major kickbacks with this as star and producer.  For them to produce it for 18 mill, that means that Rogen probably didn't get paid for it and will get points.  And it looks like he is going to cash in big time.  With an opening like this, it could do 350-400 mill WW.

The Rogen brand doesn't travel that well overseas, does it?

Closest would be June 2008 and 2012, where 4/5 weekends had 50m+ openers. Coincidentally both had two movies opening over 50m on one weekend.

May last year is borderline. It got 4/5 but the last weekend is may 31st-june 2nd. More of a june weekend than a may weekend, right?

I think we have clarified by now that Cinemascores don't mean anything.

While I agree with you, the cinemascore has nothing to do with how strong a film opens, but how good it's legs are.  

Edited by baumer

So what the hell do SONY do with the TASM franchise now?The only positive things I heard about both installments was the chemistry between Emma and Andrew

which is now gone due to Gwen Stacy's death

and the franchise is dropping in ticket sales and interest with each new installment.

The only thing they need to do is cut back the budget and marketing to non stupid levels ($175m and $100m respectively instead of $225m and $190m) and try a few new writers to increase the quality of the next film. TASM2 is still going to make $750m ww, and I don't see that dropping with the sinister six angle they're going with the third one.Oh and great opening for neighbors.

While I agree with you, the cinemascore has nothing to do with how strong a film opens, but good it's legs are.  

Wolf of Wall Street had great legs despite the awful cinemascore.

Lone Survivor got an A+, it had typical legs.

Etc.

The thing about Cinemascores (especially with movies such as a crude comedy aimed at a specific target of people) is that they have a very small and select survey pool, it isn't a big enough variety to tell much.

• Like 1

I never in a million years saw Neighbours doing numbers like that. During most, summers at least one movie breaks out, Neighbours could just be that movie this year. I can't really point at any particular factors that made the movie do so well except that it seems to have gotten excellent reviews.On the other hand, I wonder what Sony will do with Spider-man next.If the franchise continues like this, the next ones will gross under just get to $200M. I don't even know what to think of the whole Sinister Six thing. A lot of people (myself included) have said that this franchise will never end up back with Disney but that's become a possibility if Sony continue down this path and break the film franchise until it starts losing them money.Do we have any business students on these forums? If so, if you're writing a dissertation/piece on failed business strategy, you really should use the current Spider-man re-boot as a topic. It's a lesson on how not to handle a franchise.

Has it opened anywhere yet?

In tons of places: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2004420/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

It is doing ok (way over This is the End, it will pass the total of that one over here sometime today) but nothing spectacular. I am beting on 100-130M OS right now. 

Edited by CJohn