A Marvel Fanboy

The Paramount Pictures Thread | Skydance vs. Sony. Whoever wins, we lose

On 4/29/2024 at 7:49 PM, Mojoguy said:

At this point I'm expecting Paramount to hold Tom Cruise's kid hostage until Cruise makes Top Gun 3.

I think Paramount most valuble asset overall is probably Star Trek.

• ...wtf 1

On 4/19/2024 at 6:19 AM, MightyDargon said:

Sony buyout most likely means the end of Paramount+. 

I doubt that. Probaly will be repackaged with another streaming channel.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I hope Skydance wins.

So do I, but in a bidding war Sony has deeper pockets then Skydance does.

Edited by dudalb

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Paramount probably curses the day Disney bought Marvel....I

One of their greatest disasters. 

I stand on the fact that their biggest mistake was going to war with YouTube for years. Viacom content just wasn’t there (famously Kanye interrupting Taylor Swift at the VMA’s. It still has never been uploaded by MTV). The MTV brand especially just never really found its footing online and dropped into irrelevancy after Jersey Shore.
MTV and BET also didn’t work with labels to clear their archives of live performances for YouTube back when they could’ve done it cheaply, now the price is too high and it’s a waste of money. A library of live music is just unavailable online because 10 years ago Viacom wanted to fight the internet.

• Like 7

On 4/30/2024 at 3:49 AM, Mojoguy said:

At this point I'm expecting Paramount to hold Tom Cruise's kid hostage until Cruise makes Top Gun 3.

I don’t think Tom Cruise has seen his kid in 15 years so I’m not sure if this would help (scientologist are weird).

• Like 2

I guess they should drap the Hollywood's First Studio barn Historic site in Hollywood  in black.

It was not the first Hollywood studio but the legend is that Cecil B De Mille and Albert Zukor, the founders of what was to become Paramount, shot the first film in Hollywood in a barn they rented. Not true..films had been made In hollywood for some time...but 

the legend caught on. and the Barn, though moved, still stands and is ran by the California State Park system as a Historical Monument.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Would the sale include CBS News and Sports divisions? If so, $26 billion feels underpriced.

So, outside of movies, their coverage of Champions League is cool, their team covering it always generates a lot of clicks and memes in soccer twitter/reddit, it would suck to lose that team.

Regarding the movies aspect of this deal, Hollywood is dead.

I know I know, let me overreact and moan a bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Regarding the movies aspect of this deal, Hollywood is dead.

I know I know, let me overreact and moan a bit

I mean, this isn't an overreaction?

The Fox/Disney merger felt a whole lot more surprising than this honestly, since Fox was still a very much active studio even when there were whispers of a sale during Q4 2017. Rupert Murdoch was clearly looking to offload that division of the company (on the plus side, that was the end of the free press for Fox News in Fox movies/TV shows). 

One look at their financial instability since arguably the aughts probably reveals that Paramount has been facing "be sold off or die" levels of extinction for quite some time. Especially without any other divisions like theme parks to provide a steady flow of cash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Fingers crossed. Hollywood doesn’t need anymore mergers or buyouts. 

Problem is where is Paramount going to get the investors it will need to keep afloat. Thye has better produce some hits fast.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think Paramount most valuble asset overall is probably Star Trek.

I think the Avatarverse. Thanks to Netflix, ATLA and Korra were discovered by Gen Z and the younger Millennials who missed them when they originally aired. Which really helped even the (slightly better than) mid live action remake show break out. The theatrical animated films could be the next Spider-Verse, especially in terms of critical reception.

Shyamalan and co. really screwed the pooch in 2010. Had all the potential to be Paramount's Potter.

Edited by Spidey Freak

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I think the Avatarverse. Thanks to Netflix, ATLA and Korra were discovered by Gen Z and the younger Millennials who missed them when they originally aired. Which really helped even the (slightly better than) mid live action remake show break out. The theatrical animated films could be the next Spider-Verse, especially in terms of critical reception.

Shyamalan and co. really screwed the pooch in 2010. Had all the potential to be Paramount's Potter.

Potential. Right now, I guarantee you people looking at investing in Paramount see Trek as it biggest franchise.