A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

4 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Avatar is the only valuable IP Disney owns.  

Avatar 2 made less profit in 2022 than the MCU and that's not including merchandise, Avatar as a franchise wouldn't even be top 5 for Disney, even Cars is bigger.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Deathlife said:

That's the thing about "late-stage capitalism", if a company's profit declines (note profit, not revenue), people aren't happy.  People shouldn't be colored by the endless greed that's somehow become the norm over the last few years, a lot of people these days lose their jobs even when companies are profitable because they "didn't grow profits as expected". This has become the norm in the tech sector (another reason why those guys need to unionize). Disney is clearly have struggles but they are still profitable which suggests they are a long way from "death". Seriously, even if the Florida Disney World closes for a hurricane, Disneyland in California is still open as well as their locations across the globe (I know they don't own all of them but they are still making money from them), these guys are generating tons of cash.

Like I mentioned earlier, it looked like Nike was about to collapse due to the "massive boycott" (LOL) of their shoes but Nike is booming today. No one should be surprised if Anheuser-Busch and Target bounce back in a few months' time. Huge companies like these experience ups and downs but do tend to recover eventually.

Frankly, due to the rise of digital media there's an uncomfortable mix of news and opinions floating around and it's difficult to understand what's really happening these days. Even with box office, it's only on sites like these that you can get the full picture and even at that, we still don't get an accurate picture because we don't have all the facts (case in point with Pixar saying that Elemental will make a profit despite it's "weak performance"). It's like the whole "go woke, go broke thing", TLDR on YouTube did a pretty detailed financial analysis on this and how it was completely false that wokeness has affected the box office negatively.

Again, no one is saying Disney is in great health, just that they are a long way from any collapse or death or anything of that sort.

Air gives a good idea of how badly Nike were doing before the Air Jordan. With Disney, they're in a much better position compared to the 1970s and 1980s when they were in a bit of a rut of how to proceed and it took Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg to turn it around. Eisner while his tenure ended badly did some smart moves such as going into television, creating divisions for more adult oriented films and making moves into areas such as theatre which proved fruitful.

9 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

They definitely would be without the extra debt, but whether it will be worth it in the long run is more difficult to say. It doesn’t seem like they’ve done the best job leveraging those assets. At the same time though, it’s given them Avatar and Deadpool is likely to be their biggest film next year (if it comes out next year). They got FX and Jon Landgraf which are pretty good assets to have in the streaming wars. Searchlight and 20th Century Studios also means they’re more diversified than they were prior. They paid too much for all of that, though Comcast did force their hand. 

20th Century will likely pay off long term. Things like The Simpsons and Family Guy will be generating revenue even if they stopped making new episodes as well. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Avatar and Xmen/deadpool etc are not worth 71B for sure. Nor any other assets. Comcast did screw Disney in bidding up the fox assets as well. Only one who benefited was Murdoch and other stock holders 😞

But Hulu is definitely worth 71B. They wouldn't have gotten 106m D+ core subscribers without Hulu in the US and Fox content in the OS.

3 hours ago, dobrevv said:

according to deuxmoi all their cable networks besides news getting shut down with announcement next week

And they would, what, get into the modern day and stream The Oscars on Youtube? Just hope that the most beloved sitcom in recent memory happens to be loved enough for people to go to Hulu (I guess Abbott streams there?)

Nah, I can't say I believe that.

We still don't have ABC and at this point, I can just find the three shows I watch on there by other means.

This just showed up in my inbox though:

https://deadline.com/2023/09/charter-spectrum-disney-espn-blackout-streaming-tv-1235533703/

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

And they would, what, get into the modern day and stream The Oscars on Youtube? Just hope that the most beloved sitcom in recent memory happens to be loved enough for people to go to Hulu (I guess Abbott streams there?)

Nah, I can't say I believe that.

We still don't have ABC and at this point, I can just find the three shows I watch on there by other means.

This just showed up in my inbox though:

https://deadline.com/2023/09/charter-spectrum-disney-espn-blackout-streaming-tv-1235533703/

It says the broadcast and news channels wouldn't be shut down so the Oscars and hit sitcoms would just stay on ABC?

Hilarious if this milestone TV story truly breaks via a celebrity gossip page...

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It says the broadcast and news channels wouldn't be shut down so the Oscars and hit sitcoms would just stay on ABC?

Hilarious if this milestone TV story truly breaks via a celebrity gossip page...

That's what happens when I skim ._. I still don't know if I believe it, but if it happens, I am very interested to see the consumer reaction.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Basically:

What If Season 2 in December

Echo in January

X-Men 97 Early 2024

Agatha: Darkhold Diaries in Halloween 2024

Daredevil, Wonder Man, and Ironheart on hold due to strikes keeping them from finishing production but still releasing.

Got a sneaking suspicion if the strikes doesn’t end this October, 2024 for the MCU will just be Cap 4 and a shitton of Plus shows.

Feige and the MCU are dead to me if Ironheart gets Batgirl’d.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Got a sneaking suspicion if the strikes doesn’t end this October, 2024 for the MCU will just be Cap 4 and a shitton of Plus shows.

Cap 4 as the only MCU film release of next year would basically kill the whole franchise’s status in the industry entirely. That movie is a destined bomb unless the script is shockingly amazing. Even then, Mackie is just a terrible choice for a Hollywood leading man, he screams box office poison on a Taylor Kirsch level. 

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Basically:

What If Season 2 in December

Echo in January

X-Men 97 Early 2024

Agatha: Darkhold Diaries in Halloween 2024

Daredevil, Wonder Man, and Ironheart on hold due to strikes keeping them from finishing production but still releasing.

So, they are gonna have no Marvel D+ content from March 24 to October 24 - a 6 month gap?

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Cap 4 as the only MCU film release of next year would basically kill the whole franchise’s status in the industry entirely. That movie is a destined bomb unless the script is shockingly amazing. Even then, Mackie is just a terrible choice for a Hollywood leading man, he screams box office poison on a Taylor Kirsch level. 

Feel like Thunderbolts is more of the risk. People at least like Falcon and apart from the finale - the show reception was middle of the line MCU and not bad, and the Hulk/psuedo Avengers angle will definitely help it which has more going for it than Thunderbolts which basically screams Suicide Squad but everyone has the same skillset.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, they are gonna have no Marvel D+ content from March 24 to October 24 - a 6 month gap?

Well they still have Marvel Zombies and Freshman Year currently scheduled for 2024. My guess is when the strike ends they can finish Ironheart and get that in when reshoots are done.

• Like 1

The FATWS show was terrible for Cap 4 since absolutely no one seemed to love it. At best it was a “fine, I guess?” reaction from people, and many MCU fans simply just didn’t watch it. CA4 has so many strikes going against it, it would be too tiring to list them all. 

Thunderbolts at least has the whole “fresh” thing in its corner, which has worked out amazingly for MCU more often than not (GotG, Dr Strange, Black Panther, Shang Chi, OG Iron Man, etc). I’m not particularly optimistic on it personally, but there’s infinitely more chance of a breakout there than CA4. 

Edited by MovieMan89

52 minutes ago, YM! said:

If they didn’t Batgirl even Secret Invasion, I’m not sure how bad one of these would have to be for them to do that.