A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't think it's impossible. The big expensive thing is the makeup if they're doing it practically, but shows like Star Trek have used extensive practical FX before. I think it could work.

Okay, but again, could we just end up with a Willow situation?  I do think Gargoyles has a larger base to work from. Probably much larger base.  But as much as I love the series I never got the sense that it was an IP waiting to be discovered by the masses.

If I'm being honest, I think that's my biggest concern.  Just not enough of a potential viewership base.

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Okay, but again, could we just end up with a Willow situation?  I do think Gargoyles has a larger base to work from. Probably much larger base.  But as much as I love the series I never got the sense that it was an IP waiting to be discovered by the masses.

If I'm being honest, I think that's my biggest concern.  Just not enough of a potential viewership base.

It will be challenging. They need to figure out who the target audience is and set it up in such a way that it can attract people unfamiliar with the 90s cartoon (that doesn't mean abandoning the things that made that show work, a good example of pulling this tightrope act off is probably One Piece). Willow fell in to this trap that a lot of D+ shows fall into where it's primarily aimed at tweens even though that appears to be an incredibly difficult demographic to fuel a streaming hit. Even Netflix struggles to make shows for that audience work. It's a symptom of having two different streaming services. If it's a show aimed at adults, it's going to Hulu, so D+ is limited in what demographics it can shoot for that it doesn't already have locked up (families with young kids, Star Wars fans, and Marvel fans). This cuts both ways too, Andor would be a much better fit on Hulu and is kind of stranded on its own on D+.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well Willow was always more of a cult classic even as a movie. I think Gargoyles, even for people unfamiliar with the original, has a much broader appeal.

And keep in mind people loved the Swamp Thing show, the issue was that they fucked up on the production side, suddenly found themselves ludicrously over budget, and had to cut the finale at the last second and then cancel the show almost immediately. The quality of the show is not a concern, for me at least.

OAUS was cute (feel like Rescuers Down Under characters got a rather shocking amount of screen time though lol). Only gripe is they certainly could have taken their time a bit more with it. It was definitely a sprint not a marathon, and it felt like throwing things at you a little too fast. 5 mins is very short to cram in that many refs 

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean it's total fan service, it's not going for anything real deep.

I appreciated the rescuers characters personally, though I wish they could've fit Evinrude in there.

I don’t mean it should have been “deeper”, just could’ve benefited from a few more mins to pack so many characters/refs in. It felt like 60 seconds vs 6 mins since it was so rapid fire. 

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

2ATcCS.jpg

What do you folks think about this? While I was happy to see Tobey again after so many years but not sure he should continue playing this at his age. Plus he is not even that active in hollywood anymore. But if Marvel cannot get RDJ/CE back, this is plan B with Tobey, Hugh and others. 

About that…

So with Spidey 4 filming late 2024, that means it's release date is either late 2025 or early 2026. So this is my guess:

2024:

Captain America Brave New World

Deadpool

2025:

Thunderbolts (could be very end of 2024 depending on strike delays)

Blade

Fantastic Four

2026:

Spider-Man 4

Kang Dynasty

Doctor Strange 3/Armor Wars

2027:

Armor Wars/Doctor Strange 3

Secret Wars

X-Men 

This is assuming they don't delay Kang and Secret Wars again, which they might, but there literally aren't enough movies in development to fill all the gaps then so this is just going by the movies that are officially in some level of development or production 

Edited by SpiderByte

13 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Disney is without question going to counterattack Superman:Legacy

I don't think they base their schedules around DC aside from "not literally the same day/week". I could see FF maybe moving ahead of Blade, for the summer spot, especially if the rumors of Blade being r rated are true, but Blade is also much much much further along.

Looking through some old film data/film articles, I really think everyone's forgotten how big of an egg Eternals ended up being. Disney ended up putting a lot of chips behind the film, assembled a pretty large $100M promo campaign. That's not a record or anything but it's a very heigh number, larger than Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and on par with Black Panther 2. IT really was supposed to be a big ass blockbuster and sort of positioned as an important movie in representational terms and all of that's sort of been memoryholed a bit as its fallen back into just being a random MCU film. It feels like Disney positioned themselves as having a lot more riding on the film's success than they did for Shang Chi or Black Widow yet it's probably considered less significant now in retrospect. 

Was trying to put the pieces together to figure out in a non-Covid world, where would be in the MCU.

Black Widow - May 1, 2020

Eternals - Nov 13, 2020

Shang-Chi - Feb 12, 2021

DS: MoM - May 7, 2021

Spider-Man: NWH - July 16, 2021

Thor: L&T - Nov 5, 2021

Black Panther: WF - May 6, 2022

The Marvels - July 8, 2022

Ant-Man 3 - Nov 11, 2022

Guardians 3 - May 5, 2023

Blade - Nov. 3, 2023

CA 4 - May 4, 2024

Thunderbolts - July 25, 2024

Fantastic Four - Nov. 8, 2024

Deadpool 3 - Feb. 14, 2025

Avengers: Kang Dynasty - May 2, 2025

Feel like Ant-Man 3 and The Marvels could switch. 

With Chadwick dying, I could see Thor 4 pushed to May 22, BP 2 pushed to July 22, The Marvels to Nov. 22, and Ant-Man to Feb. 23.

With Blade not moving along in production, I could also see AM3 or The Marvels taking the Nov. 23 slot.

Overall, we'd pretty much be where we are in the MCU right now without Covid.  Things just would not feel as crammed as they were.

• Like 2