A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

19 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

EXCEPT he didn't announce a change to MCU's plans once Majors got busted

I think that would have been seen as reactionary, especially at a time where the MCU is planning and spacing things out again.

Will be surprised if there's no F4 cast announcement before year's end.

Pixar is more or less Disney's strongest (or least damaged) brand going into 2024:

- Marvel has lost a lot of its goodwill between the VFX drama, less-than-stellar box office, and the disastrous reception to Secret Invasion forcing them to rethink their whole strategy.

- WDAS just removed their next film from November 2024, probably to re-evaluate and do some much-needed soul searching. 

It's probably no coincidence that they're re-releasing Soul, Luca, and Turning Red in theaters to make up for how empty their slate is. 

On 12/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, MightyDargon said:

Unpopular opinion but I don't think Iger did that bad a job this year EXCEPT he didn't announce a change to MCU's plans once Majors got busted. Most people did not want Kang after Quantumania and killing off that arc will put some wind back in Marvel's sails.

This doesn't track with Loki doing great despite having Majors, as Kang, in it. I really don't think it had any substantial box office impact you're claiming.

Like I've pointed out before, people blamed Majors for Guardians initial tracking, but they can't explain why Majors scandal has no impact on Creed 3, a movie Majors actually has a large role in.

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

I think Disney has a marketing problem

Forget politics people thiee products are now shallow or pointless.

More like Disney has a D+ problem.

If people know they can wait 3 months and see a movie for free on D+, many people will skip seeing it theaters.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

More like Disney has a D+ problem.

If people know they can wait 3 months and see a movie for free on D+, many people will skip seeing it theaters.

See, I don't believe this is the issue, because I know I can wait for any movie to be on streaming. Disney has a budget problem. Their films wouldn't have been seen as disaster had they each cost 100 million less.

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

See, I don't believe this is the issue, because I know I can wait for any movie to be on streaming. Disney has a budget problem. Their films wouldn't have been seen as disaster had they each cost 100 million less.

5 hours ago, Torontofan said:

I think Disney has a marketing problem

Forget politics people thiee products are now shallow or pointless.

It's both. Take a look at the creator: had decent names behind it ( Gareth Edwards, John David Washington) had a low budget for the scale: 80 million. We know people are clamoring for more original projects. Marketing massively dropped the ball.

On 12/24/2023 at 3:07 PM, MightyDargon said:

Unpopular opinion but I don't think Iger did that bad a job this year EXCEPT he didn't announce a change to MCU's plans once Majors got busted. Most people did not want Kang after Quantumania and killing off that arc will put some wind back in Marvel's sails.

Eh, we’ve gotten a bunch of movie announcements this year that sound terrible and like they don’t understand what the issue actually is though.