A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

A2’s WW total is not even that far behind the WW combined total of the ENTIRE Disney 2023 slate. Woulda probably won if GOTG didn’t get the WOM. 

Edit: forgot entirely about AM3 lmao (who didn’t in my defense). Still is way way closer than it ever should be with so many tentpoles vs one. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I vaguely recall something with Chapek being streamed where he answered questions (mainly bc it was a debacle), but i'm not remembering if it was an Investor's Meeting or a Town Hall like today's.

Hope it'll be streamed today for the public.

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm waiting to see how December's film slate does, including Migration, before I start to claim it's only Disney, and not every single studio, that's doomed.

I don’t think Migration is a fair one to use lol. Marketing has been very low key for Illumination and the premise sounds like something that should flop hard for a kids movie. It will be a big testament to their brand power if they get it anywhere near 150/400. 

I would say Barbenheimer (along w Guardians 3 and to a certain extent Elemental) proved last summer that people will show up if the product delivers the goods. Quality is clearly the major issue Disney is facing now. You're just not gonna draw crowds when you've built up such high expectations that anything less than that seems skippable. If everything next month disappoints at the box office I have to imagine quality would be a factor there too.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I would say Barbenheimer (along w Guardians 3 and to a certain extent Elemental) proved last summer that people will show up if the product delivers the goods. Quality is clearly the major issue Disney is facing now. You're just not gonna draw crowds when you've built up such high expectations that anything less than that seems skippable. If everything next month disappoints at the box office I have to imagine quality would be a factor there too.

But quality has always been an issue with Disney. Frozen 2 has the exact same Cinemascore as Wish, but the former made $477,373,578 domestically at the box office. Wish may not even make a quarter of that. The Rise of Skywalker wasn't great either, and yet it made $515,202,542 domestically at the box office.

The culture has changed, and I don't think quality is the fix. It'll help, for sure, but I don't think it's going to make the problem disappear.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Hollywood has had bad years before. Predicting the end of the majot studios is a bit much at this point.

But no doubt, Streaming is resulting in the biggest drop in theater attedence we have seen since the coming of television in circa 1950, which cut movie attendenc nearly in half.

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

But quality has always been an issue with Disney. Frozen 2 has the exact same Cinemascore as Wish, but the former made $477,373,578 domestically at the box office. Wish may not even make a quarter of that. The Rise of Skywalker wasn't great either, and yet it made $515,202,542 domestically at the box office.

The culture has changed, and I don't think quality is the fix. It'll help, for sure, but I don't think it's going to make the problem disappear.

Both of those movies were franchises with latent goodwill and a lot of pre-release hype, Wish was an original. Rise of Skywalker still significantly decreased from Last Jedi in overall gross.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Because both are also megasequels but had no Plus to siphon away event status.

Edited by YM!

31 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

But quality has always been an issue with Disney

At Pixar and WDAS ?

Not sure quality an issue from 1989 to 1999  (from Little Mermaid to Tarzan) or in the Wreck it ralph to Moana window ? It was a strength of the studio I feel like.

Would they release back to back to back Wreck-it ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and the incredible Zootopia,-Moana 1-2 punch, it would be a different situation.

Edited by Barnack

36 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Both of those movies were franchises with latent goodwill and a lot of pre-release hype, Wish was an original. Rise of Skywalker still significantly decreased from Last Jedi in overall gross.

Thing about quality is it does not always guarantee sucess, and some films that are generally considered not very good or out and out bad were huge hits when they came out.

• Like 1