A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

On 12/3/2023 at 10:14 PM, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Tweets like this are why some folks are skeptical when movies like The Little Mermaid get far more criticism than it seems like they deserve:

Star vs. The Forces of Evil (second image) ended in like 2019 lmao

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I hope the Pixar re-releases stay in theaters for longer than one week for each movie...

I might have to wait until the second weekend to see Turning Red.

The spacing of them still feels like Disney screwing them over. One month apart makes it impossible for any of them to truly break out since they’re amputating any legs 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

The spacing of them still feels like Disney screwing them over. One month apart makes it impossible for any of them to truly break out since they’re amputating any legs 

these are re releases... they don't need more than 4 weekends. Just look at the Nightmare Before Christmas re release that happened this year

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

these are re releases... they don't need more than 4 weekends. Just look at the Nightmare Before Christmas re release that happened this year

I don’t see a reason to rush it if they’re going to put them in theaters. These movies never got theatrical releases.

Disney is spread paper thin next year as is. Soul Feb, Luca Aug (perfect late summer movie), Red October or something. Or Jan 25 for latter, then all get a proper run on dead spots in cal for Disney. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

...they're rereleases of movies that have been out for years. What legs did you expect them to have?

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean they’re only going to make like…10M at most? You do know re-releases don’t make anything, right?

49 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

I mean they’re only going to make like…10M at most? You do know re-releases don’t make anything, right?

they made a little bit of money back when they had those 3D re-releases. The Lion King made Bank. Was #1 for 2 weekends in a row in 2011. And I think Toy Story 1 and 2 and Monsters Inc also made dough.

Edited by cannastop

The only way these films would have any chance at making real money is if Disney Vaulted them for about three to four months in advance *AND* made it clear that they would not be returning to D+/or another PVOD service for about four/five months afterwards.

And even then the likely backlash would be more than enough to poison the well and sabotage the rollout.

Can't put the horse back in the barn, in other words.

Case in point: Not even Avatar made all that much recently, and that was after it was vaulted for a short time. Didn't even clear $25m, and that's one of the best re-releases lately, at least as memory serves.

Streaming just *ENTIRELY* changed the name of the game when it comes to re-releases.  The days of re-releases making tons of dinero are loooong over and probably will be until there is another sea change in movie going habits.  If there is one.

• Like 1