A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

It says the layoffs are due to focusing solely on films rather than doing Disney+ series alongside films, but how many of them were in development? The only one I’ve heard of was Win or Lose.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Let this be an illustration of what it actually looks like to cut those budgets that everyone gets so indignant about

Yep I’ve always hated when people say “just cut costs” or “ just make it cheaper.” This is what that looks like (along with outsourcing, cheaper tech, etc.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They also did Cars on the Road and the Dug Days miniseries of shorts. Probably had a lot of other streaming stuff in the pipeline from the Chapek years that never made it public. There were rumblings about an Inside Out spinoff and also a companion series to Win or Lose, but I don't think those are happening now. 

The thing I would miss is if it means they're also not able to make as many short films now. Some good stuff from the sparkshorts package.

Edited by AniNate

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Is "The Little Mermaid" (2023) a flop? 

No.

Films can exist outside of being either a "flop" or a "hit".  I know I tend to rail a bit against this dichotomy of thinking everything is either a failure or a massive success, but sometimes things really are "just okay". 

TLM did "okay".  As a tie-breaker, being domestic heavy probably helps Disney as they should be getting more of the money than they would from other international deals (at least that's what I've gleaned from glancing at other threads).

• Like 7

23 hours ago, AniNate said:

Let this be an illustration of what it actually looks like to cut those budgets that everyone gets so indignant about

23 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Back to Back years of layoffs 😞 Iger is following the Musk playbook. 

I don't understand what do you want them to do? They lost a boatload of money last year with almost all of their film flopping spectacularly. Park attendance is down, what did you expect? 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I don't understand what do you want them to do? They lost a boatload of money last year with almost all of their film flopping spectacularly. Park attendance is down, what did you expect? 

Hmm... I don't know have the executives take a pay cut? Nintendo has proven the strategy has worked after the disaster that was the Wii U

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Hmm... I don't know have the executives take a pay cut? Nintendo has proven the strategy has worked after the disaster that was the Wii U

Even if they cut executives pay down to 0 they'll still have to fire a lot of people. 

4 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Even if they cut executives pay down to 0 they'll still have to fire a lot of people. 

Not really no. Cut all executives pay and they're in the black again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Is it? I've been trying to Google this, but can't find anything...?

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Is it? I've been trying to Google this, but can't find anything...?

Disney World attendance was down year over year, almost surely because the last year in the same quarter was the 50th anniversary stuff. So that's no longer driving up the numbers.

• Like 1

Also feel the need to point out that all the corporations are running into the Loki S2 problem. Exponential growth. It's not sustainable. You can't just keep growing forever. That's not how things work. At some point you need to just be happy with being one of the largest corporations on Earth instead of chasing ever increasing profits.

• Like 4

Uh Disney may have had certain divisions lose money last year, but as a company they were very much in the black and making by any objective measure what we would all consider "boatloads" of money. The corporate obsession with endless growth is not the same thing as losing money. It's also amazing how the employees at these companies are always expected to take the brunt of executive's poor decision making, but god forbid anyone suggest that the bloated pay packages for those executives take a hit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Also feel the need to point out that all the corporations are running into the Loki S2 problem. Exponential growth. It's not sustainable. You can't just keep growing forever. That's not how things work. At some point you need to just be happy with being one of the largest corporations on Earth instead of chasing ever increasing profits.

Well tell shareholders that too. Share prices are there with future profits in mind.

The problem with accepting that growth is not inevitable is that "growth" is what drives prosperity. GDP growth in an economy for instance, is often a sign of prosperity to come. It's like a bicycle: If you don't move forward, you fall down.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It didn't even stop! They had a billion dollar film in 2019! Their most recent theatrical release made just short of $500 mil. Their only "failure" since Toy Story 4 was Lightyear!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

It didn't even stop! They had a billion dollar film in 2019! Their most recent theatrical release made just short of $500 mil. Their only "failure" since Toy Story 4 was Lightyear!

And tbh if Iger and Chapek weren’t greedy fucks to boost the plus, I do think that if they pushed back Soul to Summer 2021 and had Onward as Soul as their big return. Think it, Luca and TR would’ve been nice hits if Elemental could do near 500m as mid-Pixar.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, YM! said:

And tbh if Iger and Chapek weren’t greedy fucks to boost the plus, I do think that if they pushed back Soul to Summer 2021 and had Onward as Soul as their big return. Think it, Luca and TR would’ve been nice hits if Elemental could do near 500m as mid-Pixar.

Would have put the schedule out of wack. Knocking Luca to March 2022 and Turning Red I guess to March 2023. I don't think Disney really had a March release in 2023 so maybe that could have worked though.