A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

The Academy announced today that We Don't talk about Bruno will be performed at the Oscars. Every day it seems more and more evident that Disney is doing everything to make that a Disney night. 

I'm 99% sure that the Thor trailer will premiere that night.

On 3/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, Cap said:

A little late and hollow, but interesting that this is only (as of typing this) on the Marvel Studios Twitter and there isn’t a similar one from LucasFilm, Walt Disney Animation/Studios, NatGeo.  

Pixar obviously has already made its stance clear. 

1 hour ago, junkshop36 said:

Saw this earlier this evening. Curious to see what you guys think. 

Sounds like somebody made the wrong enemies 🔪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Saw this earlier this evening. Curious to see what you guys think. 

Possibly. And it tracks out since this could be their opportunity to replace him quietly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Just gotta deal with him until aprox February 2023 if Google is right, unless he steps down.

Or the DIsney BOD calls a special meeting to

remove him from office.

They would have to buy out his contract, but that would be a lot cheaper then letting him damage the company any farther.

Every exec contract provides for his or her removal from office by the Board of Directors.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

Taking this to the Disney Thread since the discussion is already over here, and I think it's a bit more On Topic....

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Same-Sex Kiss Restored in Pixar’s ‘Lightyear’ Following Staff Uproar Over ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill (EXCLUSIVE)

Pixar's Lightyear Restores Same-Sex Kiss After Don't Say Gay Uproar - Variety

10 minutes ago, JWR said:

Chapek got spooked by the backlash. Good.

Maybe not just Chapek...

From the article:

What is most troubling is how this censorship apparently manifested at the studio. The March 9 statement by Pixar employees states that “Disney corporate reviews” were responsible for the diminution of LGBTQ representation at Pixar — which would include the tenure of Chapek’s predecessor as CEO, Robert Iger. It’s why Pixar employees say they found Chapek’s assertion in a March 7 company-wide memo that the “biggest impact” Disney can make “is through the inspiring content we produce” so galling.

“Nearly every moment of overtly gay affection is cut at Disney’s behest, regardless of when there is protest from both the creative teams and executive leadership at Pixar,” the statement says. “Even if creating LGBTQIA+ content was the answer to fixing the discriminatory legislation in the world, we are being barred from creating it.”

But none of the sources who spoke with Variety could cite first-hand knowledge of Disney executives directly cutting LGBTQ content from specific Pixar features. Instead, the examples from “Luca,” “Soul” and “Inside Out” were purportedly driven either by the individual movie’s filmmaking team or by the studio’s own leadership. Effectively, Pixar engaged in self-censorship, say these sources, out of an abiding belief that LGBTQ content wouldn’t get past Disney review because Disney has needed the films to play in markets traditionally hostile to LGBTQ people: namely China, Russia, much of West Asia and in the American South.

This shows two separate things in my opinion.

1] It ain't just the higher ups at Disney that are a problem (and I do think they are a major problem as at the very least they set the tone of a corporate culture and set expectations for their underlings), but a whoooooole lot of folks throughout the Disney Empire.  And of course, Hollywood in general.

2] Speaking out in such a vocal and passionate way has either given folks the cover to have the courage to do what they should have been doing all along [fighting for their artistic integrity] or shamed them into doing the right thing.  Whichever it is, isn't really important.

In short, just tossing Chapek overboard ain't gonna solve this particular problem.  Not by itself at any rate. Put having public pressure and rewarding folks when they step up?  Well, no war is won after a single battle, but it's a very very good development nonetheless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay I can kind of buy rumors of Chapek not getting renewed now as dude has put Disney out in the light and has forced them to now actually take sides. It’ll be much harder from them to try to fault LGBTQ merch for pride month because it’s clear this issue will not blow away in a week. Mainly because now the employees are willing to speak out and it’s all because Chapek is such a bad people person. All he needed was to denounce the bill from the getgo and he’d have gotten away with it.

All in all it’s a good thing. It won’t be an overnight process as this extends throughout the mouse empire (It also does have me curious on how some things will be handled for Multiverse of Madness and Love and Thunder which comes from golden goose Marvel with LGBTQ main leads) but it’s good that change is beginning to happen.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Taking this to the Disney Thread since the discussion is already over here, and I think it's a bit more On Topic....

Maybe not just Chapek...

From the article:

This shows two separate things in my opinion.

1] It ain't just the higher ups at Disney that are a problem (and I do think they are a major problem as at the very least they set the tone of a corporate culture and set expectations for their underlings), but a whoooooole lot of folks throughout the Disney Empire.  And of course, Hollywood in general.

2] Speaking out in such a vocal and passionate way has either given folks the cover to have the courage to do what they should have been doing all along [fighting for their artistic integrity] or shamed them into doing the right thing.  Whichever it is, isn't really important.

In short, just tossing Chapek overboard ain't gonna solve this particular problem.  Not by itself at any rate. Put having public pressure and rewarding folks when they step up?  Well, no war is won after a single battle, but it's a very very good development nonetheless.

Bracing for the only discussion point about Lightyear being the same-sex kiss now. I can already see the right wing talking point about "Woke Disney brainwashing kids into believing that being gay or lesbian is normal" forming in real time.

It will be the "Where's the American flag in that boring movie about Neil Armstrong whose name I can't even remember now (i know its not Rocketman because that was a way different and better movie)" redux.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Bracing for the only discussion point about Lightyear being the same-sex kiss now. I can already see the right wing talking point about "Woke Disney brainwashing kids into believing that being gay or lesbian is normal" forming in real time.

It will be the "Where's the American flag in that boring movie about Neil Armstrong whose name I can't even remember now (i know its not Rocketman because that was a way different and better movie)" redux.

First Man?

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

To be fair, Disney has been a lighting rod for thin-skinned conservative whining for eons now. Remember when Fox News wailed about the Chris Cooper villain character from The Muppets being a Trump-esque tycoon out to ruin things people enjoy? Everyone else has simply caught onto the fact that this is an audience that isn't captivated (unless they see something where they feel the need to pretend to care and engage in said whining for attention-seeking purposes) to begin with at this point.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, JWR said:

Oh, Iger's hands are filthy in this, too. It's just that Chapek's recent blunder opened the floodgates. 

Iger's hands are more filthy than Chapek's but he gets a pass because he is a fanboy favourite..

1 hour ago, Hades said:

Iger's hands are more filthy than Chapek's but he gets a pass because he is a fanboy favourite..

Iger never actively pissed off any of the talent and ran a good PR game.

Just now, JWR said:

Iger never actively pissed off any of the talent and ran a good PR game.

Iger also low-key made some enemies/irked folks in some circles and if he stuck around the problem might have gotten worse.

*cough*

Anyway, the thing about Iger though is that second one.  He knew how to play the PR game and would admit when he was wrong.  He was a hell of a lot better at the "public face of a corporation" part of being a CEO than Chapek ever was. And that is not an inconsequential thing at all.

But make no mistake, Iger made plenty of mistakes.  His handling of the Star Wars franchise in particular set it on a course that it is still trying to... I don't want to say "recover from" as that's far too strong (IMO overall SW is healthier than it's ever been - it could just be in a lot better shape on the film side of things). 

Instead I will say that a decent amount of the current state of the SW franchise when it comes to films can be laid at the feet of Bob Iger thanks to his interfering with film schedules and whatnot.  Not solely to blame by a long shot.  But I tend to think if Kathleen Kennedy wasn't such a lightning rod herself, more than a bit of attention would have been sent Iger's way over some of his... choices he made when it came to the film calendar that Lucasfilm had to work under.

What separates him from Chapek really does seem to be the ability to mend fences and smooth over rough patches away from the prying eyes of the Trades and other gossip sheets.  Or at least mend fences enough so things don't get to the state like they are under Chapek's watch.

• Like 2

Mind, I could have saved myself a lot of typing and just responded to this post:

2 hours ago, Hades said:

by saying "Laughs in Star Wars", as there is more than a small amount of low-grade grumbling about his stewardship among some SW fans.  But I figured the point needed a more thorough look.

Still... "Laughs in Star Wars". :lol: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Iger also low-key made some enemies/irked folks in some circles and if he stuck around the problem might have gotten worse.

*cough*

Anyway, the thing about Iger though is that second one.  He knew how to play the PR game and would admit when he was wrong.  He was a hell of a lot better at the "public face of a corporation" part of being a CEO than Chapek ever was. And that is not an inconsequential thing at all.

But make no mistake, Iger made plenty of mistakes.  His handling of the Star Wars franchise in particular set it on a course that it is still trying to... I don't want to say "recover from" as that's far too strong (IMO overall SW is healthier than it's ever been - it could just be in a lot better shape on the film side of things). 

Instead I will say that a decent amount of the current state of the SW franchise when it comes to films can be laid at the feet of Bob Iger thanks to his interfering with film schedules and whatnot.  Not solely to blame by a long shot.  But I tend to think if Kathleen Kennedy wasn't such a lightning rod herself, more than a bit of attention would have been sent Iger's way over some of his... choices he made when it came to the film calendar that Lucasfilm had to work under.

What separates him from Chapek really does seem to be the ability to mend fences and smooth over rough patches away from the prying eyes of the Trades and other gossip sheets.  Or at least mend fences enough so things don't get to the state like they are under Chapek's watch.

Shit Nimona and Pixar stuff was under Iger’s watch but the only reason it got bought up was because of how bad Chapek is at the game.

• Like 2