A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

The best Disney+ release is easily Werewolf by Night. Hopefully they keep making more, there's at least the Agatha tie in one coming up.

If the specials count, it’d go like this:

1. Loki

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
3. WandaVision
4. She-Hulk

5. Werewolf By Night
5. Ms. Marvel
6. Hawkeye
7. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
9. What If…
10. Moon Knight
11. Secret Invasion

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

@Porthos, well well… look what Jeff Sneider is reporting:

Written by Donald and Steve Glover. I’m very much in.

Hmmmmm.  Kinda contra to what Justin Simien was just saying about the project in the press coverage of Haunted Mansion.

*checks the article*

Ah.

On Thursday, the Hollywood Reporter shared Simien’s response to the question of whether he was still attached to Lando: “I am attached, I think, but I don’t really know. (Laughs.) The last thing I was told was that they loved it but needed to put a pin in it until they could figure out everybody’s availability. I haven’t investigated further, but I’m not an idiot.

“It seems like I develop things with these companies and they just never happen for reasons unknown,” Simien added.

Above the Line has since learned that Simien has actually been off the Lando series since last summer when he bowed out to continue focusing on his directing duties for Haunted Mansion. With Lucasfilm eager to move forward with the project, execs reached out to Donald Glover, who often writes with his brother, Stephen. The siblings agreed to board the project together, and their take is said to have Lucasfilm brass excited.

It’s worth noting that the Glovers’ involvement has been top-secret for months, as they signed on well before the WGA strike and haven’t performed any work on the project since writers took to the picket lines on May 2. Simien was likely simply toeing the company line with his affirmative response to THR, not wanting to make waves on the eve of his new film’s premiere in theaters.

On the one hand (and the fairly major hand) more turmoil for an LFL project.

On the other hand, if this actually makes it much more likely that it sees the light of day, then that's actually a... decent thing?

Considering how much absolute Radio Silence there's been about Lando, even in the scoopershphere, this would explain a fair few things.  Might even be a net positive as I think it over.

Gonna go over real well in Certain Quarters, though, I bet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Hmmmmm.  Kinda contra to what Justin Simien was just saying about the project in the press coverage of Haunted Mansion.

*checks the article*

Ah.

On the one hand (and the fairly major hand) more turmoil for an LFL project.

On the other hand, if this actually makes it much more likely that it sees the light of day, then that's actually a... decent thing?

Considering how much absolute Radio Silence there's been about Lando, even in the scoopershphere, this would explain a fair few things.  Might even be a net positive as I think it over.

Gonna go over real well in Certain Quarters, though, I bet.

All that it matters to me is that the Atlanta team is back in business. That’s the kind of inspired shit I want from a streaming platform.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

1. Loki
2. WandaVision
3. She-Hulk
4. Ms. Marvel
5. Hawkeye
6. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
7. What If…
8. Moon Knight
9. Secret Invasion

She-Hulk is trending, btw. My gal is finally getting the acknowledgement that she has always deserved. Better later than never.

1. Hawkeye 

2. Wandavision - it used to be #1, but MoM kinda tainted it for me

3. Loki

-----

4. Ms. Marvel

5. What If...

6. She-Hulk

7. Moon Knight

-----

8. Falcon and the Winter Soldier

-----

-----

-----

9. Secret Invasion

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

The best Disney+ release is easily Werewolf by Night. Hopefully they keep making more, there's at least the Agatha tie in one coming up.

I did like that one a LOT too, not sure it's the best, but it's definitely in the top tier of my ranking...

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

1. Hawkeye 

2. Wandavision - it used to be #1, but MoM kinda tainted it for me

3. Loki

-----

4. Ms. Marvel

5. What If...

6. She-Hulk

7. Moon Knight

-----

8. Falcon and the Winter Soldier

-----

-----

-----

9. Secret Invasion

I dig the Hawkeye love here. They turned the most unlikable Avenger into someone I genuinely care about and made me care about ‘family man’ Clint, which I thought it was impossible. In the comics, Clint is the most womanizer jerk you will ever met, and the run this limited series was adapted from plays a lot around that, it’s a Christmas miracle that this limited series worked as well as it did without betraying what the MCU had establish before and still honoring how cool that little series was.

• Like 1

Justin Simien Wishes ‘National Treasure’ Donald Glover Success on ‘Lando’ Series (The Wrap)

Justin Simien has nothing but good thoughts about the people who replaced him as writer on Disney+’s upcoming “Star Wars” series focused on Lando Calrissian, Donald Glover and Stephen Glover.

“Donald is a national treasure. Glad he and Stephen get to carry the character forward their way,” Simien wrote in an Instagram story Thursday night. “Can’t wait to see. Rooting for everybody Black.”

Here’s how it looked:

Justin Simien Wishes Donald Glover Well on Lando Series
Justin Simien on Instagram

Simien was originally tapped to develop the story for the show, but the “Dear White People” writer exited last year in order to direct on another Disney project, “The Haunted Mansion,” which hits theaters this week.

As first reported by Above the Line, Glover was approached to write the series after Simien’s exit, deals were made months before the double strike that has brought Hollywood to a virtual standstill.

Simien also revealed on Instagram that he didn’t find out about the Glovers’ deal to write the series until it was reported Thursday night.

“Lando,” first announced in December 2020, will focus on the version of the character portrayed by Glover in “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” Plot details haven’t been revealed but “Solo” took place about 10 years before the events of the original “Star Wars.” It’s been 5 years since that film hit theaters so assuming the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes are resolved sooner than later, presumably “Lando” will depict events concurrent with prequel shows like “Andor,” as opposed to “The Mandalorian,” which takes place around 5-7 years after “Return of the Jedi.

LFL projects so secret Simien (apparently) didn't even know who had replaced him!

=======

Also, gots to say, I am... pleasantly surprised at how well the Greater Intrawebs is taking this news.  I guess Donald Glover being that well respected (not to mention loved) is outweighing the usual, kneejerk, lolLucasfilm sentiment.

Good to see.

(probs should update the actual Lando thread, eh?)

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Justin Simien Wishes ‘National Treasure’ Donald Glover Success on ‘Lando’ Series (The Wrap)

LFL projects so secret Simien (apparently) didn't even know who had replaced him!

=======

Also, gots to say, I am... pleasantly surprised at how well the Greater Intrawebs is taking this news.  I guess Donald Glover being that well respected (not to mention loved) is outweighing the usual, kneejerk, lolLucasfilm sentiment.

Good to see.

(probs should update the actual Lando thread, eh?)

Atlanta is one of the best tv series of the 21st century. This is an insane major win for Lucasfilm. They got not just Donald back, but the Atlanta team with them. This project has with some insanely high expectations, but it’s on obvious good hands.

• Like 1

I'm guessing taking on writing duties was the only way that Donald Glover would agree to return to the role. I would also hazard to guess that he and his brother will get to pick who directs this show too (in other words, they're getting the full Ryan Reynolds Deadpool 3 treatment on this).

13 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

I'm guessing taking on writing duties was the only way that Donald Glover would agree to return to the role. I would also hazard to guess that he and his brother will get to pick who directs this show too (in other words, they're getting the full Ryan Reynolds Deadpool 3 treatment on this).

I think this is the stealth major win that Lucasfilm got this decade so far btw. People don’t understand how much of a cult following Atlanta has for all the right reasons. This is gold, just let them cook and we’ll have a masterpiece right here. I’m even open for the Glover Bros bringing Alden to the fold, anything they will do I trust.

Was meant to be having a break but this is very interesting, unfortunately Puck has hard paywalled their site now so can't read the details but the byline gives a little detail: "Kevin Mayer and Tom Staggs have both been engaged individually to consult with Iger, ESPN chief Jimmy Pitaro, and others at Disney." 

These are two of possible CEOs during Iger's first run, they could both be possible contenders for Disney CEO along with Dana Walden in 2026 or later. 

• Like 2

Skaggs was COO and a too obvious heir, never fully grasped why he was ousted begin with and seemed like something beyond Iger who spoke extremely warmly of Skaggs throughout his book.