A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4440578-judge-tosses-disneys-lawsuit-against-desantis-alleging-political-retaliation/

A federal judge on Wednesday tossed Disney’s lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) that accused him and other officials of unconstitutionally retaliating against the company for political reasons. 

People wanted to believe Disney's PR blitz that an open and shut smackdown was coming but it really doesn't appear to be the case. Disney caused some real political damage to DeSantis but this Florida-Disney stuff still seems like an ongoing concern. It's going to be interesting to see how it continues to fade into the background or flairs up again.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

30 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4440578-judge-tosses-disneys-lawsuit-against-desantis-alleging-political-retaliation/

People wanted to believe Disney's PR blitz that an open and shut smackdown was coming but it really doesn't appear to be the case. Disney caused some real political damage to DeSantis but this Florida-Disney stuff still seems like an ongoing concern. It's going to be interesting to see how it continues to fade into the background or flairs up again.

I don’t think Disney did that much damage to him. He was already a loser candidate who was desperate to look like a big tough guy outside of his playground.

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Staying out of the presidential primary angle, I repeatedly warned folks here that it wasn't nearly as open and shut as some folks thought.  Mostly because a great chunk of the US judiciary has been politicized, including US Supreme Court rulings that basically say "intent doesn't matter (much)" when it comes to drafted legislation as long as the actual law itself can be viewed in having a fig leaf covering it.

Or rather, I did tend to think it was "open and shut"... just not in the direction folks here would have liked.  Or myself, for that matter.

As I check that "doctrine" is exactly what was cited here even if Disney had standing:

“At the end of the day, under the law of this Circuit, ‘courts shouldn’t look to a law’s legislative history to find an illegitimate motivation for an otherwise constitutional statute.’ … Because that is what Disney seeks here, its claim fails as a matter of law,” Winsor wrote. 

Aside from that, not gonna get too deep into the weeds on this so it doesn't drift to much into political talk,  but I will say this ruling surprises me somewhere between "very little" and "not at all"

(won't even comment that this was a Trump appointed judge who handed down the ruling)

Disney sort of got bad publicity from multiple angels

-Flordia politics 

-Getting caught up in the current culture wars

-Sub par content that seems focused on sending a message than good stories.

Like many people i know dont care about culture wars stuff but roll their eyes at disney content these days. 

Ron needed to be handed at least one win on a silver platter after revealing himself to be the real quitter by throwing in the towel on his presidential ambitions (the dumb Disney/culture war stuff was arguably one of the bigger blunders there). His political career after he's no longer Governor of Florida in a few years is looking to be a dead end as well but that's another conversation for another thread.

This whole feud between the two is basically nothing but noise and really has been this whole time, knowing that there will be a new governor in a few years and how fleeting one's time in such positions ultimately are (nor do the people who actually believe Disney was being " taught a lesson" through this nonsense are invested anymore now that they've been given a break by conservative media so that Taylor Swift can be their chosen boogey(wo)man at the moment). Hopefully the next governor (no matter the party) will bring back boring relationships between Disney and Florida politicians with the only goal being to keep the economy (which Disney makes up a nice portion of) running instead of engaging in a petty, desperate attempt to prove how "tough" they are.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 11:38 PM, filmlover said:

This whole feud between the two is basically nothing but noise and really has been this whole time, knowing that there will be a new governor in a few years and how fleeting one's time in such positions ultimately are

Except Disney's actions clearly signal this is not true to an extent that's not really deniable. Disney/FL spat played out on the front page of WSJ/NYT not as content filler on talk radio or twitter and the anti-Disney actions by GOP politicians included not only "bully pulpit" stuff but real concrete regulatory changes that self-evidently hurt Disney by reducing their ability to impact local conditions. If the attacks didn't matter to Disney they wouldn't have re-litigated it in the press and courts in 2023. The changed local governance is being treated as a real harm Disney's been trying to avoid. You can debate what that means for national or cultural politics but I don't see the case for believing the "Disney doesn't see this as a harm" claim.

The non-boringness of this story shouldn't be litigated as indirect political soapboxing. It's just self-evident. Even if you think of it as the equivalent of a one time tax, that's still a new tax bill they have to pay. 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:53 PM, PlatnumRoyce said:

This was dismissed WITHOUT prejudice which means it might not be over.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JWR said:

Maybe. Or at the very least, go deep into it.

With the way most Cinemacon screenings are timed, Alien is the most logical fit. Maybe if they pick up something new with Searchlight, but of their current schedule that one fits best.

• Like 1

Lmao discrimination for what?

Also...they absolutely cannot legally be required to recast her in the show. What are they supposed to do, legally be required to include her character in episodes?

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Haha 6

I remember she said she didn’t “fumble the bag” and that she felt better about the situation as time went on. I guess her bills are piling up and she doesn’t feel so good anymore…

But she was given multiple chances and ultimately fired for an Instagram (not Twitter) post where she compared herself to being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

I remember she said she didn’t “fumble the bag” and that she felt better about the situation as time went on. I guess her bills are piling up and she doesn’t feel so good anymore…

But she was given multiple chances and ultimately fired for an Instagram (not Twitter) post where she compared herself to being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

The demands to have a role in the show again are proof that money is the main factor here. She wants in on the movie.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Lmao discrimination for what?

Also...they absolutely cannot legally be required to recast her in the show. What are they supposed to do, legally be required to include her character in episodes?

And it will make other studios a lot more reluctant to hire her.

And getting the money to it from Musk, who is despised in Hollywood, just buries her deeper.