A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

21 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The demands to have a role in the show again are proof that money is the main factor here. She wants in on the movie.

She will get neither. IMHO ia might be nuisance suite, where she hopes Disney  will make a cash setlemnet in an out of court settlement just to avoid a long legal hassle.

I feel like item 85 is sort of important here.

85. Given Defendants ongoing harassment[over the fallout from the "bleep-boop tweet"], Carano let Defendants know that perhaps she needed to get legal counsel to help resolve the issue. Thereafter, Defendants changed course and decided to require Carano to take media training

The real meat of the claims really revolve around the transgender stuff and the internal backlash it kicked up. That's what is tied to the actual concrete "lucasfilm" related stuff in the complaint's narrative.  

I don't think the "just give me the bag" interpretation is the obvious one. It seems like presumptively weak case (I highly suspect the California political protections in labor law stuff  is interpreted very narrowly instead of broadly) but she clearly feels reasonably aggrieved and someone else is footing the legal bill. 

The amusing part about all this (and what won't help her case) is that less than 24 hours after getting fired in February 2021, Gina Carano didn't seem even the slightest bit upset about Disney cutting ties with her and landing a project with professional weasel Ben Shapiro.

Less than 24 hours after her explosive ouster from Star Wars series The Mandalorian for incendiary social media posts, Gina Carano has hit back at her detractors and revealed a new movie project she is making with conservative website The Daily Wire.

Carano told us today: “The Daily Wire is helping make one of my dreams — to develop and produce my own film — come true. I cried out and my prayer was answered. I am sending out a direct message of hope to everyone living in fear of cancellation by the totalitarian mob. I have only just begun using my voice which is now freer than ever before, and I hope it inspires others to do the same. They can’t cancel us if we don’t let them.”

Gina Carano Hits Back: "They Can’t Cancel Us If We Don’t Let Them" (deadline.com)

So here we are, almost three years to the day later, with even the dubious likes of Shapiro saying "I'm bored of you" and kicking her to the curb (to try and latch onto Nicki Minaj in her dumb feud with Megan Thee Stallion, apparently), and now she's suing her former employer for reasons that more likely than not have less to do with being fired years ago for controversy of her own making (a fire she refused to put out, hence why Disney cut ties) and more to do with a bank account that's going down (not like she's getting jobs anywhere else). Real "running back to Ex #1 after breaking up with Ex #2, only to find out that Ex #1 wants nothing to do with you (and probably seeing someone else) because you caused the breakup" energy. I guess she really does need Disney's money after all.

And Elon's involvement is only for the shameless self-promotion, as an opportunist does, and a deflection attempt from his own controversies these days.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Lmao discrimination for what?

Also...they absolutely cannot legally be required to recast her in the show. What are they supposed to do, legally be required to include her character in episodes?

Why does she want to be recast? I thought she didn’t need Disney? Guess those Shapiro movies ain’t paying the bills

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

imagine suing disney the right to star in a likely flopping star war movies 

lol 

It’s not like she has actual career prospects anymore. A potential blockbuster flop probably pays a whole lot more than whatever The Daily Wire was paying her. Even they dumped her once her usefulness as a “cancel culture” political stunt dried out.

• Like 1

People really should read the actual complaint, They're not arcane documents, especially in cases like this they're designed for easy consumption. It's quick to skim especially if you know the general context.

• "Why would Carano want to get hired by Disney again"

(1) That begs the question as to if it is weird that a lawsuit for illegal termination would include that as an article for relief.

(2) That's also not the largest financial relief asked for? 

The relief requested for Rangers of the New Republic being shelved is basically 1.5-2.5M a year (claim is that SW leads are paid 150-250k per episode) for a potentially 6 year contract versus the 200k she got from 2 seasons of Mando (25k per episode initial rate). Rangers of the New Republic would have been her payday not the movie (which presumably would have been folded into the tv agreement). 

It's also weird to see people focusing on the PR spin around Terror on the Prairie instead of the film's fundamentals (a/k/a people are way too focused on Ben Shapiro/Daily Wire). The film was shot 100% in Montana and while we don't have the precise budget figures, Montana reported that $18.8M was spent on all 36 independent films made across 2 years. This includes 2 Cage Westerns and a Ed Harris(director)/Robert Duvall Western. Just including those films means 18.8 / 4 = $4.7M. Of course you're not getting rich on <$5M-budgeted indies that no one saw.  

If Ed Harris had been canceled and the Daily Wire announced "The Ploughmen" as an anti-cancel culture work, that doesn't magically make it a big event film. It's just a DVD/PVOD film. In a reasonably imaginable world in which Carano is never fired, would anyone have blinked twice at her decision to write and direct an indie-western? 

https://www.montanafilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/MEDIA-Tax-Incentive-EIS-20220-8-02.pdf
https://deadline.com/2021/03/ed-harris-directing-robert-duvall-garrett-hedlund-the-ploughmen-1234705237/

• Like 1