A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

Bob Iger has a brand problem, but does it matter?” via Matthew Belloni of Puck — A study called “Left and Right: Are Political Divisions Impacting the Box Office? [the quorum]” surveyed 2,000 people over five days in January to test the conventional wisdom that Republican-leaning audiences feel alienated from Hollywood in general and Disney in particular. Disney clearly scores the lowest, with 21% unfavorable. No other entertainment company had an unfavorable rating above 11%, meaning Disney is nearly twice as disliked as any other Hollywood entity we included. (Hulu, which is owned by Disney, scored especially well at only 8% unfavorable, indicating the problem is the Disney brand, not any of its sub-brands necessarily.) Worse for Disney, fully 30% of Republicans and 26% of independents have an unfavorable opinion of the company, compared to only 8% of Democrats. Republicans also have an elevated unfavorable opinion (about 19%) of HBO, and Democrats over-index on negativity toward ESPN. Bottom line: When it comes to Disney, you are much more likely to view it negatively if you are conservative. - https://floridapolitics.com/archives/660005-sunburn-the-morning-read-of-whats-hot-in-florida-politics-2-19-24/ (don't know the website but it has a summary)

Again, this is a real thing that's been supported by multiple   independent data sources. We can debate the "so what" of it but this isn't a "we've aggregated 5 tweets from social media to make you bad" story. It's a real and notable shift in the company's brand.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

19 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Lot of people in replies not realizing this is talking about Blu Rays and not studio production 

So that's Netflix, Best Buy, and now Disney themselves exiting the physical media business. Feels like an inevitability all the studios are going to announce that they won't be making discs anymore at this point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So that's Netflix, Best Buy, and now Disney themselves exiting the physical media business. Feels like an inevitability all the studios are going to announce that they won't be making discs anymore at this point.

Well this isn't really Disney exiting physical media. They're just outsourcing the costs. If anything that means they're going more into it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Again, this is a real thing that's been supported by multiple   independent data sources. We can debate the "so what" of it but this isn't a "we've aggregated 5 tweets from social media to make you bad" story. It's a real and notable shift in the company's brand.

Okay, but... so what? Disney shouldn't do anything about this "problem" because there is no problem. I don't want Disney to cater to a crowd that thought two women kissing was why Lightyear failed (it wasn't).

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Netflix is a streamer by origin -- any titles we got from them on physical media were a bonus.  Best Buy was a retail distributor; they had no hand in the organization or decision-making for any studio, other than getting some exclusive Steelbooks.  Disney is now outsourcing to SONY, which yes, actually might help *increase* titles on the public market since they presumably will take away all of the physical labor work they had to preside over.  Now it's really about executive sign-offs on certain titles and extras (which, give recent history, did come under some scrutiny within the studio organization, yes.)  But I see hopeful things for this, as a still-semi-devoted collector of (and strong advocate for) physical media.  If Disney/Sony sales go well, it will only encourage everyone else a little more to dig into catalogues.  

41 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Okay, but... so what? Disney shouldn't do anything about this "problem" because there is no problem. I don't want Disney to cater to a crowd that thought two women kissing was why Lightyear failed (it wasn't).

Think about it as a 2x2 matrix:  "it is/isn't happening" and "this is a good/bad thing." "It isn't happening and if it was happening it would be a bad thing" is just not the same thing as "it is happening and its a bad thing." These are genuinely different arguments. 

The "so what" I was angling for was just "left's shift over to the right side of the 2x2 matrix."

"Don't become the face of a culture war fight where you're on the 30% side of a 30/70 issue" would be the substantive advice I'd give but that's really not generalizable for multiple reasons. 

Lightyear

I mean, the Lightyear stuff directly came up as part of the multi-month Florida-Disney fight that clearly is the inflection point in the relationship. The Lightyear stuff was actually treated radically differently from Mitchells and the Machines, Onward, etc. The obvious difference isn't "the kiss" it's Disney picking a fight with DeSantis over a FL education bill. 

We've also clearly see a persistent damage to Disney animation. The most banal answer blames everything on D+ changing expectations. To what degree is that it? 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

49 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

We've also clearly see a persistent damage to Disney animation. The most banal answer blames everything on D+ changing expectations. To what degree is that it? 

It's unknown. I think Kung Fu Panda 4 will be a good barometer for the state of theatrical animation, being that it's a sequel to a well-liked franchise. Migration didn't do poorly, but it had the help of releasing at one of the best times for a Family Film, and it still made less than original animated films have made in the past 15 years, such as DreamWorks' Home. This could very well be an industry problem, and not just a Disney one. We'll have to find out.

As for their live-action selection, again, it's an industry-wide problem. Here in the United States, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny made more than Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning. Worldwide gross is what saved the latter film, and didn't save the former. And Haunted Mansion was just a shit film.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

There were issues before lightyear, like with the controversy over funding Florida politicians, and the tempest in a teapot Turning Red. Then there was strange world. I ultimately don't believe that these are fatal to Disney's brand. Elemental had a lot of these elements, such as references to same sex couples, and it had a 5x mutli from its OW.

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

"Don't become the face of a culture war fight where you're on the 30% side of a 30/70 issue" would be the substantive advice I'd give but that's really not generalizable for multiple reasons. 

OK so where do you get that 70% number from,

I'm actually a little surprised that the negative opinion on Disney from Conservatives is ONLY 30%. Though I don't know what specific issue you're talking about.

Edited by cannastop

Disney would basically have to become Pure Flix at this point to address conservative animus. Their status as a symbol of family friendly entertainment that has gradually been shifting towards more inclusive ideals is inevitably gonna make them a target. As much vocal hate as they get, they really are better off in the long-term continuing on the path they are, they just have to improve at execution. You'll notice even now that the movie is available for free on YouTube, not much of a conservative outrage is being directed at Nimona.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Disney would basically have to become Pure Flix at this point to address conservative animus. Their status as a symbol of family friendly entertainment that has gradually been shifting towards more inclusive ideals is inevitably gonna make them a target. As much vocal hate as they get, they really are better off in the long-term continuing on the path they are, they just have to improve at execution. You'll notice even now that the movie is available for free on YouTube, not much of a conservative outrage is being directed at Nimona.

Well I think that's mostly because very few people watched Nimona at all.

• Like 2

Point remains that Disney is being targeted just because they're Disney and everyone knows them. People may claim they hate them in polls or on social media, but they still buy their toys and plushies for their kids and go to the parks. It's empty words and that was evidenced as much by the last quarterly earnings.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well I think that's mostly because very few people watched Nimona at all.

Yeah, I think Netflix was disappointed by how much this film underperformed relative to the hype they attempted to build up. They were banking on the "we saved this film after Disney killed it" narrative to do a lot of the heavy lifting, but the film was on the Top 10 list for four weeks. Meanwhile, Leo had more hours viewed in its first week (of the 10 weeks it was on the list) than Nimona received in the total time it was on the Top 10.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul