A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

To be clear I don't think it was ever said if the game was a Mandalorian franchise game or just a game about Mandalorians

It wasn't going to be about THE Manadlorian, no. Not likely to be part of the Mandalorian megaplot, either. Rumored details were in one of the links I provided in my last post.

But my point was mocking EA for obsessing about lightsabers archly noting that just as SW is putting more of a focus on Jedi-lite/pewpewpew in the movies, EA dumps a game which would be precisely that.

I would also note that a decent chunk of the SW gamerdom has been clamoring for a bounty hunter game for a long time now (1313 being cancelled long ago, is often brought up in these sorts of discussions).  Will say that fans have the chance to put their money where their mouth is with the upcoming Outlaws from Massive/Ubisoft, as though that seems to be more "scoundrel gets in and out of jams" than "bounty hunter" based, it's still on the pewpewpew end of the SW spectrum. 

As a supporting point, Battlefront has been popular for decades and lightsabers is only a small part of that franchise.  

Now if it was either SW Jedi: Part Three *OR* Mandalorian Bounty Hunter Game, then it's a no brainer, as SW Jedi is a massive critical and commercial success.  If however it's "SW Jedi was a massive and critical success... so EA will only make/greenlight SW games like that in the future"?  Well, just another data point that EA doesn't learn about why people like various things and that they're repeating the mistakes of "no one wants to not enough people want to buy single player story driven games so we'll just make a bunch of micro-transaction multiplayer games instead" which one of the reasons why it took so long for something like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to get made in the first place.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Sean Bailey’s Disney Legacy: Reanimation and Later, Exhaustion | Analysis (yahoo.com)

Writeup about Sean Bailey's tenure, notable tidbit buried within it is that Sarah Polley no longer directing Bambi. I imagine the remake pipeline is gonna be scaled back in general.

It's interesting that Bailey's sucessor made his reputation making modest budgeted films that became hits. I think this shows Iger want to get away from having only big budget blockbusters up his sleeve.

But I an not happy about the departure of Polley, who I consider to be a remakrably talented filmaker.

And I did not know that Gerwig has been brought in to do a script polish for Snow White. I root for Gerwig becuase she is a home town  (Sacramento) girl, but that she was brough in indicates problems.

And the upcoming "Omen" film being released under a FOx label means Disney is back in the horror business, I supsect we will see R rated movies under the Fox labels to keep the Disney Brand family  friently....same strategy Disney followed in the 90's and early 2000's.

Bailey got the sack.or rather golden parachute...because he seemed unable to cope with the changes brough about the by the mainstreamin of streaming (no joke intended). That, and the general audience seems to have become burned out on the genres he depended on. That Mermaid underperformed must have sent shockwaves though the Disney offices. 

Edited by dudalb

21 hours ago, Porthos said:

It wasn't going to be about THE Manadlorian, no. Not likely to be part of the Mandalorian megaplot, either. Rumored details were in one of the links I provided in my last post.

But my point was mocking EA for obsessing about lightsabers archly noting that just as SW is putting more of a focus on Jedi-lite/pewpewpew in the movies, EA dumps a game which would be precisely that.

I would also note that a decent chunk of the SW gamerdom has been clamoring for a bounty hunter game for a long time now (1313 being cancelled long ago, is often brought up in these sorts of discussions).  Will say that fans have the chance to put their money where their mouth is with the upcoming Outlaws from Massive/Ubisoft, as though that seems to be more "scoundrel gets in and out of jams" than "bounty hunter" based, it's still on the pewpewpew end of the SW spectrum. 

As a supporting point, Battlefront has been popular for decades and lightsabers is only a small part of that franchise.  

Now if it was either SW Jedi: Part Three *OR* Mandalorian Bounty Hunter Game, then it's a no brainer, as SW Jedi is a massive critical and commercial success.  If however it's "SW Jedi was a massive and critical success... so EA will only make/greenlight SW games like that in the future"?  Well, just another data point that EA doesn't learn about why people like various things and that they're repeating the mistakes of "no one wants to not enough people want to buy single player story driven games so we'll just make a bunch of micro-transaction multiplayer games instead" which one of the reasons why it took so long for something like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to get made in the first place.

Irony is Jedi fallen Order steals alot from the classic "Dark Forces" Jedi games from the 90's. Which ,btw, adapted ot run on a modern computer, are avialbel from the GOG store. And yes, they are 100% legal.

For lack of a better place to put this...

A sad, interesting, yet hopeful read.  Pulling for him.

Also a reminder that unless you are actually friends or family with someone, you never really know what's going on behind closed doors no matter how much they are in the public eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

For lack of a better place to put this...

A sad, interesting, yet hopeful read.  Pulling for him.

Also a reminder that unless you are actually friends or family with someone, you never really know what's going on behind closed doors no matter how much they are in the public eye.

Sad to say, a great many childhood actors have server problems when they grow up.

The First Omen, The First Omen..a 20th Century   release..is getting an  R rating. As predicted Disney is getting back in the the R rated movie business using another label to keep the Disney Label Framily Friendly Guess they decided to premanently retire their previous Touchstone and Hollywood labels for material not family friendly.

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Sad to say, a great many childhood actors have server problems when they grow up.

Yes, but this one wasn't even related to his acting career.

Lisa is also eager to dispel what she says is a common misconception: that an avalanche of negative reaction to "The Phantom Menace" drove Jake to quit acting and contributed to his mental illness.

“It would have happened anyway,” Lisa insists, pointing to a history of schizophrenia on his biological father’s side of the family. “I believe that it was genetic. And his psychiatrist also agrees that Jake was going to become schizophrenic.”

“I protected him from the backlash. He was just riding his bike outside, playing with his friends. He didn't know. He didn't care,” Lisa said. “Everybody makes such a big deal about that. And it's rather annoying to me because Jake was a little kid when that came out, and he didn't really feel all that stuff because I didn't let him online.”

Lisa acknowledges that high school kids would sometimes bully Jake over "Star Wars," something he mentioned in past interviews. But she says walking away from Hollywood had more to do with family drama at home.

“People say he quit because of 'Star Wars.' Well, that's not true. It didn't have anything to do with 'Star Wars.' It had more to do with our family. And we were going through a divorce,” Lisa explained. “Things were unsettled and kind of rough. And Jake didn't seem to be having a lot of fun auditioning anymore.”

Other stuff in the article as well.

I mean, you're right in that many child actors have problems when they grow up.  But this doesn't look to be one of them.  Or rather, he did have problems, but not connected to him being an actor.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

SPeaking of Star Wars. some sources are reporting that that the Star Wars X/Rey movie might be quietly killed. All reports should be taken with a ton of salt, but given the mess the SW movies are in it sound plausible.It certainly does seem to be having some severe script problems, and might be back in development hell if not actually canned.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Take this with a ton of salt, but there is a report that the dead Rogue Squadron movie might be revived with Jenkins still in charge:

Ahttps://t.co/YXR6MwKfkj

Just keeps getting wierder. 

You know it was never officially cancelled, right?

"Off the schedule"?  Yes.  Officially cancelled?  Nope. 

People are using this quote as "Pascal pressuring her to express a certain view to keep her job" but honestly being a guy with a trans sibling Pascal is being incredibly gracious here by helping her out. It actually hurts Caranos case since the shows lead, who had a family member who is part of the group subject to her bigotry, offering to help makes it very clear she chose to just throw it away 

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 11:40 PM, Mickiland16 said:

Return of Investment of some of their IPs according to Corporate Data. By the way it reafirms Frozen 4 is in the works 

image_09.jpg

Whole presentation: 

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1744489/000095015724000366/defa14a.htm

Despite Mando/Yoda being pictured, they're not actually included in Star Wars ROI, right because that's just looking at theatrical films (revenue + derivative works licensing/ budget + P&A)

• Like 1

Guy, I think those who dislike Disney because it is "woke" are bigoted morons, but there are many letitimate reasons for not liking Disney.

ANyway< i don't geth this being a fan of a huge corporation like Disney. It is like being a fan of  Bank Of America, US Steel, or Microsoft.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Anyway< i don't get this being a fan of a huge corporation like Disney. It is like being a fan of  Bank Of America, US Steel, or Microsoft.

Isn't it more like being a fan of "DC Comics?" "Disney fans" aren't saying they really love Touchstone pictures (or even Pirates of the Caribbean). Disney animation is a multi-decade long brand that's also often associated with a certain level of quality. IT's also often referencing a sub-genre in its own right (e.g. I'm pretty sure a lot of people think Swan Lake or Thumbelina is a Disney movie because they're so strongly defined as the people making that sort of film).