A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Guy, I think those who dislike Disney because it is "woke" are bigoted morons, but there are many letitimate reasons for not liking Disney.

I'm specifically referring to the above video, not corporations at large.

And I agree being fans of a corporation are weird, but Disney is a film studio too, and I see fans of A24 and Warner Brothers films, so what's weird about the same thing happening for Disney?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Isn't it more like being a fan of "DC Comics?" "Disney fans" aren't saying they really love Touchstone pictures (or even Pirates of the Caribbean). Disney animation is a multi-decade long brand that's also often associated with a certain level of quality. IT's also often referencing a sub-genre in its own right (e.g. I'm pretty sure a lot of people think Swan Lake or Thumbelina is a Disney movie because they're so strongly defined as the people making that sort of film). 

TI a degreem byt tge Dusbet Company Fans seem to want to defend everything Disney does.

I thihnk no single company should be a powerful and dominant in an industry as Disney is, and I am NOT a "Anti Capitalist:.

I also resent the implication made that any critic of Disney is a bigot.

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Already commented in the Acolyte thread, but that is one fucking fantastic poster.  Probably the most evocative since this iconic one:

s-l1600.jpg

Knowing how much Leslye Headland is a fan of the prequels/backstory that was teased at in them, I wouldn't be surprised if this was an influence on one level or another.

D23 details revealed:

Everything Just Announced About D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event - D23

The most important announcement:

Disney Legends Ceremony
Sunday, August 11 – 5:00 p.m.
Honda Center

Ryan Seacrest will host this special ceremony to celebrate the 2024 class of Disney Legends—14 individuals who have made a significant impact on the Disney legacy. Filmmakers, Imagineers, artists, writers, and other magic makers will be honored in a spectacular award show featuring special performances and special guests. This year, the Walt Disney Archives is honoring Colleen Atwood, Angela Bassett, Martha Blanding, James L. Brooks, James Cameron, Jamie Lee Curtis, Miley Cyrus, Steve Ditko, Harrison Ford, Mark Henn, Frank Oz, Kelly Ripa, Joe Rohde, and John Williams.

JLC won the Oscar, Bassett received an honorary one, and now they get to share in the celebration of becoming Disney Legends (the next - or fourth, behind winning an Emmy and/or Tony - best thing to winning an Oscar and I won't hear otherwise) together all within the span of just over a year. Knew it would all work out in the end! 

“Creating magic is not for amateurs. When I sold Lucasfilm just over a decade ago, I was delighted to become a Disney shareholder because of my long-time admiration for its iconic brand and Bob Iger’s leadership,” Lucas said in a statement Tuesday. “When Bob recently returned to the company during a difficult time, I was relieved. No one knows Disney better. I remain a significant shareholder because I have full faith and confidence in the power of Disney and Bob’s track record of driving long-term value. I have voted all of my shares for Disney’s 12 directors and urge other shareholders to do the same.”

"Creating Magic is not for amateurs" is a hell of a pull quote. 👍

For all of the perhaps mixed emotions George may have in regards to how the sequel trilogy played out, let's not forget why he sold to Disney in the first place [as opposed to opening up bids or whatnot]:  Overall he trusted them to back LFL and allow them to tell stories, as that was what was most important to him.

Sure, it hasn't been all peaches and cream or sunshine and roses.  Sure, "WeRE nEVeR GEttINg AnoTHer StAR wArS fILM eVeR AGaiN1!!"

Sure sure sure.

What the fuck ever.  Hollywood is a difficult biz, even in easy economic times.  Says a lot that even after all of that Lucas is putting out a pretty full throated endorsement of Iger and his team.

Edited by Porthos

Disney released details for the D23 event in August, tickets go on sale next week

D23 2024: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event

Disney To Stream Parts Of D23 For First Time, Expand Fan Convention Internationally (deadline.com)

The presentations are gonna be held in an arena venue with more pomp and live performances it sounds like. I wonder if they're gonna bother enforcing a video recording ban for attendees since that seems nigh-on impossible here.

7 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Disney needs to stop making crappy products

Simple as that.

Gosh, you make it sound so easy when you put it that way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Not ot mention that people have different definations of crappy.

And  agreat many films I consider to be crappy have made lots of money.

I think "Disney needs to make movies that people will pay to see in theaters" is a better way of putitng it.

But William Goldman's statement on the film business remains true:"Nobody Knows Anything".

Edited by dudalb

I dunno if it'd make them more money but personally I'd be more interested in a slate not driven so much by concepts that are instantly off-putting from the moment they're announced such as cynical, gaudy live action remakes. Maybe a more diversified slate of budget levels and genres would mean Disney gets better return on investment at least.

Remains to be seen what kind of strategy Greenbaum leans into, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now since he's been a boon to Yorgos Lanthimos' career, and is also now taking a chance on an Andrew Stanton live action flick again.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

I mean a lot of Disney product since 2020 been complete garbage low tier content compared to what they made before.

And oddly it costing them tons of extra dollars to make it lol

Edited by Torontofan

8 hours ago, AniNate said:

I dunno if it'd make them more money but personally I'd be more interested in a slate not driven so much by concepts that are instantly off-putting from the moment they're announced such as cynical, gaudy live action remakes. Maybe a more diversified slate of budget levels and genres would mean Disney gets better return on investment at least.

Remains to be seen what kind of strategy Greenbaum leans into, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now since he's been a boon to Yorgos Lanthimos' career, and is also now taking a chance on an Andrew Stanton live action flick again.

I mean, many people complaints about Disney Live Actions remakes, but most of them were pretty succesful for Disney (although the quality was poor). So, it's difficult to believe these projects were really off putting.

Edited by Kon