CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

Finally got around to seeing this, wish I didn't...totally obnoxious. What was the point of those characters? Oh and don't me started on the monsters on the island. It's like prior to production they had a focus group with 4 year old boys and had them draw some monsters for the movie. 

Kong was cool I guess, besides the appearance at the beginning you didn't see him again until the 29 minute mark, it's like Godzilla all over again.

John Goodman who I love gave the phone-in performance of the year.

I truly despised the film and if a friend asks me to see it I will unfriend them on the spot. I'll give Godzilla 2 a shot but once that's done I think I'm done. 

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Finally got around to seeing this, wish I didn't...totally obnoxious. What was the point of those characters? Oh and don't me started on the monsters on the island. It's like prior to production they had a focus group with 4 year old boys and had them draw some monsters for the movie. 

Kong was cool I guess, besides the appearance at the beginning you didn't see him again until the 29 minute mark, it's like Godzilla all over again.

John Goodman who I love gave the phone-in performance of the year.

I truly despised the film and if a friend asks me to see it I will unfriend them on the spot. I'll give Godzilla 2 a shot but once that's done I think I'm done. 

Shocking! 

• Like 4

Just now, Bishop54 said:

My opinion on the film is no less or more important than yours, stop being a child.

I agree, my opinion is no more important then yours. 

I'm just laughing cause I've followed this thread and I knew you wouldn't give the movie a chance. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I agree, my opinion is no more important then yours. 

I'm just laughing cause I've followed this thread and I knew you wouldn't give the movie a chance. 

But I did give it a chance.  I should have listened to the people here who said Godzilla was better, should have saw Logan or BatB instead. Is 50 Shades still in theaters? If so I should have seen that instead.

2 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

besides the appearance at the beginning you didn't see him again until the 29 minute mark, it's like Godzilla all over again.

Youre joking right? Hahahah 

you realize that seeing the monster 29 minutes in, even without the intro would mean it shows the monster earlier than 88% of movies. It's before the end of the first act. 

You  don't get your first lookGodzilla until an hour in and you don't watch him fight til like an 1 hour 35 minutes. 

you don't see Kong until 70 minutes in Peter Jacksons 

shit it takes 50 minutes in Star Wars until you even meet Han Solo

oh and you're a Jurassic World lover. Takes longer to see the I-Rex than Kong

But again it doesn't matter where the monster is, it matters that the movie is good. Saying 29 minutes is too long just means you were that bored by the characters and the story didn't properly build. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 13

9 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

you realize that seeing the monster 29 minutes in, even without the intro would mean it shows the monster earlier than 88% of movies. It's before the end of the first act. 

You  don't get your first lookGodzilla until an hour in and you don't watch him fight til like an 1 hour 35 minutes. 

But again it doesn't matter where the monster is, it matters that the movie is good. Saying 29 minutes is too long just means you were that bored by the characters and the story didn't properly build. 

It was definitely boring. There were so many characters that didn't even need to be there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bishop54 said:

It was definitely boring. There were so many characters that didn't even need to be there. 

I couldn't disagree more, the reason why the movie has so many characters it to allow that the audience could explore different angles of the island, and that's the best decision that they could make.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

rPNCqww.jpg

It's the first striking thing about the movie's gonzo approach. How it just says right out the gate "FUCK THAT COCKTEASE BULLSHIT!"(except for the "fucking ant")

Honestly, I was surprised right out of the gate, few minutes after introducing two characters enters King Kong and not in an "off-screen/close-up on actors Holy shit face/split-second zoom in the eye/deafening roar/cut to black" kind of reveal.

Then shortly after introducing the roster of protagonists, on first approach of the island, there rises Kong kicking their asses and smashing all their shit up.

That's like the antithesis of every Hollywood monster movies suspenseful build-up approach of the past forty years in which giant monsters play hide & seek.

Basically, we would have the protagonists landing neatly on a distance after the storm, set up camp ("character study and dynamics" telling each other backstories and motivations), burgeoning romance, clues that things aren't hunky dory around (echoing roar, giant big bloody fingertips and footprints, giant skulls, cadavers from different eras), attacked by mysterious animals resulting in technical difficulties that left them stranded on the island, shady characters manipulating and admitting along the way their shady agenda compromising the covert mission (tension), being captured by the hostile local inhabitants, meeting John C. Reilly veteran's character, the whole "sacrifice the white hot lady" at night to appease Kong ramping up its full reveal as he's stomping his way through the jungle...All amount easily to one hour of footage without showing one inch of Kong hiding in the jungle. It's a proven effective formula in the hands of a skilled director but shuffling around the formula can be fun and thrilling as well.

It's instant gratification sure but when you sell a movie as a giant monster smash brawl, don't try to pussyfoot around it with boring "characters study" that aren't up to snuff like "It's all about the human characters duh, King Kong is just the backdrop McMuffin Deus Ex Machina". Yeah but you can also make a sturdy characters study in Vietnam war context without a giant ape wrecking up shit in 3D you know if that's your main goal, that'll save you a lot of bucks...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

rPNCqww.jpg

It's the first striking thing about the movie's gonzo approach. How it just says right out the gate "FUCK THAT COCKTEASE BULLSHIT!"(except for the "fucking ant")

Honestly, I was surprised right out of the gate, few minutes after introducing two characters enters King Kong and not in an "off-screen/close-up on actors Holy shit face/split-second zoom in the eye/deafening roar/cut to black" kind of reveal.

Then shortly after introducing the roster of protagonists, on first approach of the island, there rises Kong kicking their asses and smashing all their shit up.

That's like the antithesis of every Hollywood monster movies suspenseful build-up approach of the past forty years in which giant monsters play hide & seek.

Basically, we would have the protagonists landing neatly on a distance after the storm, set up camp ("character study and dynamics" telling each other backstories and motivations), burgeoning romance, clues that things aren't hunky dory around (echoing roar, giant big bloody fingertips and footprints, giant skulls, cadavers from different eras), attacked by mysterious animals resulting in technical difficulties that left them stranded on the island, shady characters manipulating and admitting along the way their shady agenda compromising the covert mission (tension), being captured by the hostile local inhabitants, meeting John C. Reilly veteran's character, the whole "sacrifice the white hot lady" at night to appease Kong ramping up its full reveal as he's stomping his way through the jungle...All amount easily to one hour of footage without showing one inch of Kong hiding in the jungle. It's a proven effective formula in the hands of a skilled director but shuffling around the formula can be fun and thrilling as well.

It's instant gratification sure but when you sell a movie as a giant monster smash brawl, don't try to pussyfoot around it with boring "characters study" that aren't up to snuff like "It's all about the human characters duh, King Kong is just the backdrop McMuffin Deus Ex Machina". Yeah but you can also make a sturdy characters study in Vietnam war context without a giant ape wrecking up shit in 3D you know if that's your main goal, that'll save you a lot of bucks...

There were stretchs where Kong just disappeared for 20 minutes at a time. You still need interesting characters to pass the time when Kong or Godzilla is off screen, we didn't get that in either of these films.

Edited by Bishop54

What's the global dume looking like? Thinking,

165 dom + 150 current os + 85 current os markets + 105 China + 20 Japan = 525 ww

(Depending on China it has a shot at 550. It could extract a few more than 85 from current os markets and go over 165 dom too.)

The key for this hitting 500m WW is the current OS markets. Needs to start holding good in those markets. Would like to worry less on how Kong has do do in China... Even though it'll get really good numbers from there.

Getting 20m from Japan would be good enough... Though knowing Kong is in the G14 universe, and with how well Shin Godzilla did (75m, which is huge in Japan), it'll be interesting to see how well it does in Japan.

I'm seeing 160-165 domestically... 170-175 if it gets great holds.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

There were stretchs where Kong just disappeared for 20 minutes at a time. You still need interesting characters to pass the time when Kong or Godzilla is off screen, we didn't get that in either of these films.

I won't say King Kong had "interesting characters" but it had entertaining B-movie characters, archetypical to the bare minimum but clear cut like C.Reilly's affable veteran and SLJ's bloodthirsty psycho (I relished every single close-ups to his over-the-top maddening eyes at Kong engulfed in fire), Goodman's presence manages to make a non-character work in his short stint, Loki and Larson despite being weak links were not black holes vacuum like ATJ who can't carry a movie as a central placeholder with his dull presence, off-screen damsel in distress like Olsen and gaping mouthed passive like Watanabe at the corner of the screen.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 7

Acting wise, Doing movies like these require as much talent  as the Manchester by the Seas of the world.

You basically spend your days reacting at nothing but the production assisitant making monster noises.

37 minutes ago, a2knet said:

What's the global dume looking like? Thinking,

165 dom + 150 current os + 85 current os markets + 105 China + 20 Japan = 525 ww

(Depending on China it has a shot at 550. It could extract a few more than 85 from current os markets and go over 165 dom too.)

Seems like a pretty decent haul. This could make the movie profitable before homevideo right? 

• Like 1