#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Wow. I knew he was on a downward trend, but I still figured he could do about $30 over a 4 day weekend.I am so glad to be wrong!

The reason Blended flopped (didn't think it would this badly though) wasn't because of Adam Sandler it was because the movie looked boring and unfunny. I'm a big Sandler fan and I wouldn't touch either this or his other recent flop Jack and Jill with a ten foot pole. Sandler is king for comedies, but when the movie doesn't look funny no one shows up. This has nothing to do with star power and everything to do with a bad movie.
  • Like 1

Agreed. I feel like this will play to a slightly older crowd than the MCU (excluding Iron Man) and Spidey. But, really, the power of Jackman and Lawrence could balance things out if both age brackets show up.

Their real power = their naked bodies? :wub:

Amy Kaufman. She works for the LA Times.

Ok I know who that is. She was somewhere else before that. Can't recall off the top of my head and I don't feel like looking it up. She doesn't have any numbers though, lol.

X-Men's midnight number was lower than other 2014 blockbusters, but higher than Fast and Furious 6 ($6.5M) which also opened on Memorial Day weekend (in 2013). This means it can go either way and make more than F&F6 on opening day ($38.7M) or less than other 2014 blockbusters ($35.2-38.4M). Since this seems a bit contradictory, I think it will once again (and for a fourth time in the last 2 months) end up between $35-40M. This means it is unlikely to earn more than $100M on its 3-day opening weekend (Fri-to-Sun), but it will end up quite close and probably surpass Captain America 2's current 2014 record (F&F6 made $97.4M last year).

X-Men's midnight number was lower than other 2014 blockbusters, but higher than Fast and Furious 6 ($6.5M) which also opened on Memorial Day weekend (in 2013). This means it can go either way and make more than F&F6 on opening day ($38.7M) or less than other 2014 blockbusters ($35.2-38.4M). Since this seems a bit contradictory, I think it will once again (and for a fourth time in the last 2 months) end up between $35-40M. This means it is unlikely to earn more than $100M on its 3-day opening weekend (Fri-to-Sun), but it will end up quite close and probably surpass Captain America 2's current 2014 record (F&F6 made $97.4M last year).

Again, those other films had 7 and 8PM showings which this did not.

Reporting this early usually means those numbers will probably be lower once estimates come in.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Again, those other films had 7 and 8PM showings which this did not.

What's the difference between 8pm or 10pm? Either way, it was only the very keen fanboys who went on Thursday night. Other people don't even know because the advertised release date is May 23 or theywon't go until the weekend arrives.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-x-men-days-706776

• Like 1

The reason Blended flopped (didn't think it would this badly though) wasn't because of Adam Sandler it was because the movie looked boring and unfunny. I'm a big Sandler fan and I wouldn't touch either this or his other recent flop Jack and Jill with a ten foot pole. Sandler is king for comedies, but when the movie doesn't look funny no one shows up. This has nothing to do with star power and everything to do with a bad movie.

Most of his movies look boring and unfunny to me, yet they always seem to make money.

If you don't think this and his last few flops are doing nothing to diminish his star power, you're crazy.