Impact

Top 10 of 2015 predictions

Really? :P  You have people predicting close to or over 700M for SW and you think JW is the most over predicted? :lol:  :rofl:

Why is that so crazy for SW? Granted 700 would be the high end of the range I think, but we're talking about the king of the box office franchises when you look at ticket sales. And a Holiday release gives it the chance at a big OW and legs, opposed to summer where it would probably just have a massive OW. The only way I see SW missing 550m is if kids just have zero interest in it. But capturing a new gen of kids was certainly no problem for the PT.

BTW, your avatar kinda looks like a guy grabbing his dick at that pic size. :P

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

Depends if SW7 has child and family appeal like TPM, then the box office potential is insane. 

I think SW7 and TA2 will do epic business as they will really clean up with the family crowd. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

aou looks kind of dark and i wouldn't be surprised if sw7 is handily more mature than gotg for example

I think Age of Ultron could be like the ESB, who knows.

I would prefer a much better film then an increased gross actually. 

• Like 2

Why is that so crazy for SW? Granted 700 would be the high end of the range I think, but we're talking about the king of the box office franchises when you look at ticket sales. And a Holiday release gives it the chance at a big OW and legs, opposed to summer where it would probably just have a massive OW. The only way I see SW missing 550m is if kids just have zero interest in it. But capturing a new gen of kids was certainly no problem for the PT.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

aou looks kind of dark and i wouldn't be surprised if sw7 is handily more mature than gotg for example

No way Disney lets Star Wars Episode VII be too mature... expecting hard PG/light PG-13. Kung Fu Panda 3 is toast... 

I doubt we'll see that much of what happens in Avengers 2 in the trailers. And as long as it's not TDK-level dark, the film will do just fine with families. Avengers 1 wasn't all rainbows and sunshine - Coulson "died", etc.

If Avengers 2 rises above the original's quality, there's no telling how big it could go. Not saying Avatar big... but $625-650 million would open up.

Star Wars Episode VII and Avengers 2 are just fighting over who's #1 - both legitimately could get the top prize next year. But I'm expecting both to sweep up families like crazy. 

Believe me you're not crazy  ;)

If Disney hypes it up properly, Phantom Menace levels of tickets are possible (80-85 million). With a $100 million+ OW and 4x-6x multi due to holiday legs, the sky is the limit if Abrams delivers. Of course, how big it can go is a real wild card. 

• Like 3

Why is that so crazy for SW? Granted 700 would be the high end of the range I think, but we're talking about the king of the box office franchises when you look at ticket sales. And a Holiday release gives it the chance at a big OW and legs, opposed to summer where it would probably just have a massive OW. The only way I see SW missing 550m is if kids just have zero interest in it. But capturing a new gen of kids was certainly no problem for the PT.BTW, your avatar kinda looks like a guy grabbing his dick at that pic size. :P

Star Wars is one of the biggest merchandising brands for toys. Yeah, kids will definitely be on board, it's Star Wars everybody and their moms, dogs, cats, and fish will be on board.
  • Like 3

No way Disney lets Star Wars Episode VII be too mature... expecting hard PG/light PG-13. Kung Fu Panda 3 is toast... 

I doubt we'll see that much of what happens in Avengers 2 in the trailers. And as long as it's not TDK-level dark, the film will do just fine with families. Avengers 1 wasn't all rainbows and sunshine - Coulson "died", etc.

If Avengers 2 rises above the original's quality, there's no telling how big it could go. Not saying Avatar big... but $625-650 million would open up.

Star Wars Episode VII and Avengers 2 are just fighting over who's #1 - both legitimately could get the top prize next year. But I'm expecting both to sweep up families like crazy. 

Avengers 2 being a better film than Avengers 1 does not guarantee better/good box office.

Urban Legend oh and also Spiderman 2.

THe first Avengers was a zeitgeist moment in pop culture, you rarely re-produce that kind of zeitgeist twice.

• Like 2

Star Wars is one of the biggest merchandising brands for toys. Yeah, kids will definitely be on board, it's Star Wars everybody and their moms, dogs, cats, and fish will be on board.

I am not even sure kids are the biggest Star Wars toys buyers, there are thousands of 30's and 40's guys who collect Star Wars toys in huge quantities.

• Like 1

Phantom Menace didn't even beat Titanic so good luck with SW7 topping Avatar...

Your grandma and your little sister that went to see Titanic multiple times don't give a crap about Star Wars Episode 7.

You could also say your grandpa and your little brother that went to see Star Wars 1 multiple times don't give a crap about Titanic. It goes both ways. James Cameron is James Cameron - no reason to compare anything to him. He's in a completely different class  ;)

But I'm pretty sure the original trilogy had its fair share of female fans. The last Avengers had female appeal, too (Thor, Captain America, Loki). 

Just because a film isn't about a sappy romance doesn't mean women won't go see it. 6 years of inflation might do the trick, too. Right now, it's a wildcard. 

• Like 2

I am not even sure kids are the biggest Star Wars toys buyers, there are thousands of 30's and 40's guys who collect Star Wars toys in huge quantities.

That's why I always have to buy Star Wars toys for my nephews right? I mean it's anecdotal evidence but Star Wars will be huge with families. Even if the kids aren't sold at first the parents will be and they'll take their kids with them.

You could also say your grandpa and your little brother that went to see Star Wars 1 multiple times don't give a crap about Titanic. It goes both ways. James Cameron is James Cameron - no reason to compare anything to him. He's in a completely different class  ;)

But I'm pretty sure the original trilogy had its fair share of female fans. The last Avengers had female appeal, too (Thor, Captain America, Loki). 

Just because a film isn't about a sappy romance doesn't mean women won't go see it. 6 years of inflation might do the trick, too. Right now, it's a wildcard. 

Your grandpa and your little brother actually went to see Titanic along your grandma and your little sister. That's the difference with SW. ;)

(My dad doesn't care about SW since he finds it ridiculously bad, dumb and can't understand the appeal as he calls R2D2 and C-3PO "tin cans". My mom either. My little sister is not fond of it at all, not as I was. I went to see Titanic with my whole family. I went to see all SW with my male buddies who are SW fanboys or tagged my sister to come with me even if she wasn't thrilled about the prospect)

Can SW7 really tap into the older crowds (I don't mean 30/40-something that were children or teenagers in 1977, I'm talking 50 onwards, all the baby boomers demographics that rarely go to the theaters past a certain age) and female audience from 7 to 70 (from the female pre-teens/teenagers fans of YA to the casual woman in their twenties, from the soccer mom to the grandma fan of Lifetime dramas) that drove Titanic to such heights by multiple viewings?

SW lacks the ultimate universal appeal to bring all quadrants into theaters.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Star Wars is the most culturally significant film franchise in the US. That Disney marketing machine is going to be in full force for the 2015 Holiday season. Toys/collectibles, interviews, extensive media coverage, probably lots of theme park promotion, etc. If Abrams & co. deliver in the quality department, SW7 definitely has a real chance at topping Avatar. Giving the film TPM's ticket sales (if it is a quality film, I do believe it can be the first film since to cross the 80 million ticket threshold) and adding on the average 3D/IMAX boost gets it right at $750 million, actually.

If you don't admit that it is at least a very solid possibility, you're in denial.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 2

Gone With the Wind, the original Star Wars, ET, etc

Gone is the Wind is too old and it made money for decades on screens because no tv/vcr/Netflix.

Star Wars was gigantic only in the US, it was only big outside of the US. ET, maybe but Titanic was still bigger.

• Like 2

Gone is the Wind is too old and it made money for decades on screens because no tv/vcr/Netflix.

Star Wars was gigantic only in the US, it was only big outside of the US. ET, maybe but Titanic was still bigger.

I very doubt people in their forties (and onwards) and mature women were lining up in droves to see Star Wars in 1977. It was mostly children, teenagers and twenty-something people pushing on 30.

Nowadays, just for information, SW fans on Facebook demographics:

Posted ImageI

"Titanic is the Holy Grail"

The National Research group divides audience into five demographic quadrants (under age 25, over age 25, male, female, "ethnic" [...] According to Edward Jay Epstein: "The Holy Grail was a film like Titanic, which appealed to all five quadrants." Not only Titanic is a film for all, It's a product for everyone, the ice cream flavor nobody dislikes, and of which everyone wants seconds.

Star Wars is the most culturally significant film franchise in the US. That Disney marketing machine is going to be in full force for the 2015 Holiday season. Toys/collectibles, interviews, extensive media coverage, probably lots of theme park promotion, etc. If Abrams & co. deliver in the quality department, SW7 definitely has a real chance at topping Avatar. Giving the film TPM's ticket sales (if it is a quality film, I do believe it can be the first film since to cross the 80 million ticket threshold) and adding on the average 3D/IMAX boost gets it right at $750 million, actually.

If you don't admit that it is at least a very solid possibility, you're in denial.

Posted Image

• Like 1