4.) Bond 24 - $118 million
5.) Fast 7 - $116 million
6.) Jurrasic World - $85 million
7.) Ant-Man - $82 million
8.) Inside Out - $80 million
9.) Minions - $77 million
10.) Cinderella  - $76 million
  • Like 2

1. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 220mil - Will certainly open above 200mil, just how much by. 

2. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 - 175mil

3. Star Wars E7 - 150mil - Early reviews and responses are key, people don't want another Phantom Menace 

4. Fast 7 - 110mil 

5. Bond - 100mil 

6. Jurassic World - 90mil 

7. Ant-Man - 85mil - 2 Months after AoU will defs help, especially if the trailer that plays before AoU is good and the mid credits scene links to Ant-Man

8. Inside Out - 75mil 

9. Minions - 72mil 

10. The Good Dinosaur - 70mil 

Edited by Breakspear
  • Like 2

1. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 215 million

2. Star Wars: Episode 7 - 180 million

3. Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 2 - 160 million

4. Bond 24 - 109 million

5. Jurassic World - 105 million

6. Fast 7 - 95 million

7. Ant-Man - 85 million

8. The Fantastic Four - 70 million

9. The Good Dinosaur - 65 million ( ;) Cookie for first one to get it )

10. Mission Impossible 5 - 64 million

• Like 1

The more I think about it, I really don't think opening in December matters. Star Wars could open Labor day weekend and still do 150m + 

They said the same about The Hobbit and that's the best comparison for it. Even with a very good movie 110M in december is nothing to laugh at. And I don't want to get into a LOTR vs SW debate cuz we all know how those usually end up. <_<

1. Avengers 2 - 250m

2. Mocking Jay Part II -165m

3. Star Wars 7 - 145m

4. Fast 7 - 115m

5. Bond 24 - 110m

6. Ant-Man - 95m

7. Minions - 88m

8. Cinderella - 80m

9.Mission Impossible 5- 79m

10. Mad Max - 72m

One you won't see in many top 10's.

They said the same about The Hobbit and that's the best comparison for it. Even with a very good movie 110M in december is nothing to laugh at. And I don't want to get into a LOTR vs SW debate cuz we all know how those usually end up. <_<

Break it down from previews.

Break it down from previews.

17M previews, which is absolutely huge in december. Before the first Hobbit made 13M, the highest was Avatar's 3,5M I think.

48M Friday (with previews). Hobbit made a little over 37. That means less than 3x it's previews. I gave SW 3x exactly because it's a franchise and has a strong fanbase that will make it front loaded.

36M Saturday (Hobbit made 27,7M). I also gave SW a slightly smaller drop.

26M Sunday (Hobbit made 19,7M)

And that is to meet my 110M prediction, though I will probably have a slightly stronger Sunday. I could see 28-29M and a 112-115M OW.

17M previews, which is absolutely huge in december. Before the first Hobbit made 13M, the highest was Avatar's 3,5M I think.

48M Friday (with previews). Hobbit made a little over 37. That means less than 3x it's previews. I gave SW 3x exactly because it's a franchise and has a strong fanbase that will make it front loaded.

36M Saturday (Hobbit made 27,7M). I also gave SW a slightly smaller drop.

26M Sunday (Hobbit made 19,7M)

And that is to meet my 110M prediction, though I will probably have a slightly stronger Sunday. I could see 28-29M and a 112-115M OW.

Just 5M more non-previews/midnights than ROTK. I know inflation doesn't always work, but its 12 years+3D.

Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

Just 5M non-previews/midnights than ROTK. I know inflation doesn't always work, but its 12 years+3D.

I thought ROTK opened with 72.6M... 110 - 17 = 93M. Or you mean Revenge of the Sith? In which case, that opened in May. You can't compare it. There's a reason why May's highest OW is over 200M and December's is under 85M. 

Star Wars is always underestimated here. Revenge of the Sith OW was 108 million after OD record of 50 million set on Thursday. It was 9 years ago and without 3D. Today that OW adjusts to 137 million. And it opened in 3,600 theaters, 700 less than other enormous openers like Avengers and Hunger Games. In fact, adjusting ROTS OW, you get that even after OD record, the average of OW was the same than both Hunget Games movies. And this coming from poor movies as Phantom Menace and Attack of Clones. IMO, it remains as the biggest opening ever, on par to Spider-man and Avengers. To say SW has not been a big opener is to deny or forget some facts.I think that SW7 can manage 130-140 in December with 3.5-4 multiplier (after December record and mixed reception Hobbit has done it) and reach 500-550 total without many problems.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

I thought ROTK opened with 72.6M... 110 - 17 = 93M. Or you mean Revenge of the Sith? In which case, that opened in May. You can't compare it. There's a reason why May's highest OW is over 200M and December's is under 85M. 

Yeah there hasn't been a movie on this scale opening in the month. Were are you getting the 93M from? Did you not understand what I said?

Yeah there hasn't been a movie on this scale opening in the month. Were are you getting the 93M from? Did you not understand what I said?

Just 5M more non-previews/midnights than ROTK.  

What am I supposed to understand from this?

And yeah there was. The Hobbit. Whether it was good or not it's a different problem.

Edited by James

Just 5M more non-previews/midnights than ROTK.  

What am I supposed to understand from this?

And yeah there was. The Hobbit. Whether it was good or not it's a different problem.

You really think The Hobbit would be on a scale of VII, no doubt it was hyped, but VII is on a different stratosphere.

That ROTK did 8/34=26M

You have VII 17/48=31M

Total: 5M more.

Edited by Neo

Star Wars Episode 7 - 217M

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 204M

Mockinjay Part II - 189M

Jurassic World - 114M

Fast Seven - 102M

The Peanuts Movie - 92M

Bond 24 - 89M

Minions - 82M

Inside Out - 76M

Tomorrowland - 72M (92M four-day)

Wild cards are The Jungle Book (probably #11), The Martian (Gravity 2.0?), The Good Dinosaur, Ted 2, 50 Shades of Grey, and Ant-Man

• Like 2

You really think The Hobbit would be on a scale of VII, no doubt it was hyped, but VII is on a different stratosphere.

That ROTK did 8/34=26M

You have VII 17/48=31M

Total: 5M more.

Well, I did say SW7 will make around 150M more than Hobbit DOM. I expect good legs for it. And yeah, today's movies are much more front loaded than the movies 10 years ago. SW will make no exception.