Neo

2015: Top 10 Opening Weekend Predicitons

They are, I just pretty much took some of my predicts and upped them or downed them a bit to make them bold. I like living life on the edge B)We do this every year guys. Raise your hands and tell me which one of you thought Maleficent would gross 240M?Hmm.....In terms of OW, I'm sure there were doubters of GOTG or even Godzilla hitting 90M+ OW. Most like me though Dragons 2 was going to open to huge heights, look there......There are always upsets.

Ok, but I always assumed you predicted your prediction not +/- 10M.

Ok, but I always assumed you predicted your prediction not +/- 10M.

I always go big with my predictions B)Now. Sometimes it makes me look cool.Other times I get bitch slapped by them :rofl: I'm not going to stop though. That's why I like predicting. All in fun. :)
  • Like 1

VII would be at 75M-80M (150M OW) and Inferno would be at 15M-20M on XMas weekend and Mi5 could make 60M that is 150M for top 3. Top 3 of Xmas 2009 was 180M+, Mem wknd 2013 was 170M+ June 21-23 near 190M, Mem wknd 2011 was 190M. In that case Inferno could do 50M.

Just because it's possible doesnt mean it will. KFP3, The Nest and Joy are also going to take up some audiences that weekend. $80 million OW for MI5 after a $150 million OW for Star Wars Episode VII would just be ridiculous. $50-55 million makes sense with the release date and leggier nature of that time period. Plus a top 10 OW just doesn't seem likely with how many big films there are next year.

DM2 doesn't equal a spinoff no matter how lover the Minions are.

It's not going to decline by that much when the Despicable Me brand is still red-hot. Don't doubt Sandra Bullock either ;) If DM2 got $125 million in its first 5 days, Minions can get at least $80-85 million in its first 3. Expecting a decline, but nothing too huge.
  • Like 2

Just because it's possible doesnt mean it will. KFP3, The Nest and Joy are also going to take up some audiences that weekend.$80 million OW for MI5 after a $150 million OW for Star Wars Episode VII would just be ridiculous. $50-55 million makes sense with the release date and leggier nature of that time period. Plus a top 10 OW just doesn't seem likely with how many big films there are next year.

Possible is all you got til it happens you know, thats why you predict and not predict "actuals." Really Joy and Nest lucky to do 10-15M. BTW my post says 60M (need to read again) and VII will be at 75M-80M not 150M don't know why you are pushing this.

It's not going to decline by that much when the Despicable Me brand is still red-hot. Don't doubt Sandra Bullock either ;)If DM2 got $125 million in its first 5 days, Minions can get at least $80-85 million in its first 3. Expecting a decline, but nothing too huge.

No. What do you want to bet?

Eventually there will be franchise fatigue but I don't see how it decreases after Fast 6 also increased, had a great reception, strong DVD sales, and it has zero competition along with being the first big budget action event movie of the year

+ Paul Walkers last major film. No way Fast 7 opens to 85 million

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

No. What do you want to bet?

Why bet? I don't need to bet on it. Minions is going to be insanely hyped up and treated as a mini-sequel to DM. And unlike Puss in Boots, they're striking while the iron is hot. $80-85 million is reasonable and it'd still gross less than DM2

So we're to assume that every fast movie they make is going to increase more than the one before it?

So I assume then by the time they make Fast 15 we'll be talking about a 190M OW:lol:

Except with Paul Walker's death, it is looking like Fast 7 will be the true peak of the franchise.  There is no competition (the last one had to open against the Hangover on STID's second weekend and it still reached 90m) and it's easily the most hyped film of the franchise.  It's opening over a 100m.

Also, in Minions' case it may be a spin-off but here's the difference compared to things like Puss in Boots.  People didn't go see Shrek for Puss in Boots, people didn't go see the Bourne Ultimatum because they hoped to see Jeremy Renner play a character that wasn't Bourne, people didn't even see Daredevil so there was no way in hell they were going to go see Elektra.  What people did do though was go see Despicable Me 2 for the minions, they are the selling point, and unlike every other spin off (there really aren't that many to go off of) the selling point of the main movies (as well as many familiar characters) remain.

You could bring up X-Men: Origins Wolverine, but had that film not had toxic WoM it had a large enough opening to get past 200m (or close to it) and get close to The Last Stand and it is a spin off that had less reasons to succeed than Minions.

People are really undershooting Minions, just like they undershot Despicable Me 2, this movie is going to be huge and the absolute floor for its opening is 85m.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 5

So we're to assume that every fast movie they make is going to increase more than the one before it? So I assume then by the time they make Fast 15 we'll be talking about a 190M OW:lol:

Edited by Andy001

Fast 8 may not but fast 7 is guarantee a huge opening. 1. Walker's death 2. Getting his brothers in 3. Last fast film for hobbs 4. A gigantic cast 5. Walker's CGI ... Audience will be flocking into the theater for the OW.

• Like 2

Fast 8 may not but fast 7 is guarantee a huge opening. 1. Walker's death 2. Getting his brothers in 3. Last fast film for hobbs 4. A gigantic cast 5. Walker's CGI ... Audience will be flocking into the theater for the OW.

Yeah, and then there's no April competition, it's the only Fast film that I think has a shot at breaking 300m.

• Like 1

I have my doubt. Despicable Me is huge. The other two are new projects but you can't underestimate their marketing.Ant-Man doesn't have as much appeal as GOTG to pull almost equal numbers.

Ant-Man could have another bump from avenger 2 so that could make it up.

If people realy like avengers 2, then marvel got 3 hits in a row. That would make the brand even more populair.

• Like 1

Like anybody saw GOTG doing 94M in August, pal. Hasn't been an TA, DHII, TDK or DMC type movie in December so saying it can't hit 175M is just plain crazy. What do you think the previews will be?

We never had TA DHII TDK, but we have all the LOTR franchise over there and avatar. So that could also count.

• Like 1