Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

X-Men has always been frontloaded, but opening it on a holiday weekend doesn't help the second weekend hold at all.

I wonder what DOFP would have done in the July 18 slot like it was originally supposed to be. Now that Fast 7 is gone, that date looks a little more appealing for X-Men.

• Like 4

+Profitable+Critically acclaimed+Audience returned to the franchise-Franchise legs-Halle Berry's ego-Singer scandalIf Apocalypse hits 280-300 then it's matching the heights of X2/3 which is more than Harry Potter can say it did with its 8th movie.

Edited by cory

+Profitable

+Critically acclaimed

+Audience returned to the franchise

-Franchise legs

-Halle Berry's ego

-Singer scandal

If Apocalypse hits 280-300 then its matching the heights of X2/3 which is more than Harry Potter can say it did with its 8th movie.

What. Those have no effects on the box office at all.

• Like 4

+Profitable+Critically acclaimed+Audience returned to the franchise-Franchise legs-Halle Berry's ego-Singer scandalIf Apocalypse hits 280-300 then it's matching the heights of X2/3 which is more than Harry Potter can say it did with its 8th movie.

Is Halle's ego still that big? She seemed eager to come back this time even though her role was gonna be small from the start. The years of disappointing box office numbers probably softened her  :ph34r:

Edited by Skybreaker™

1000th post. Yay?! :D

There's nothing to say about the numbers so I'd like to go full CJohn and implore you to go see Edge of Tomorrow as soon as possible :) Thanks for listening, just don't make me do this again tomorrow (or today ba-dum-tsss :P)

• Like 3

I think DoFP would've done better in July.

Quite possibly, but we will never know.

I am kinda worried about Apocalypse's release date, though. Maybe they should reconsider.

I gotta say i'm disappointing that Godzilla seems to be falling right off the map. It deserves a lot better run then this.

I don't see why people are disappointed in Godzilla. It has already made twice its budget without a China and Japan release.

X-Men has always been frontloaded, but opening it on a holiday weekend doesn't help the second weekend hold at all.

Of course if  it didn't open on the memorial Day w/e it would have made about $15m less going into the w/e so not too bad of a tradeoff. 

• Like 1

Of course if  it didn't open on the memorial Day w/e it would have made about $15m less going into the w/e so not too bad of a tradeoff. 

That's arguable. Opening in July would have meant more time for marketing and reaching a fiver pitch. A 90+ opening would have happened in July as well. I would argue it would even have stood a change at 100. And the Monday, while not 20 million, would still have been better than a typical May Monday...

I gotta say i'm disappointing that Godzilla seems to be falling right off the map. It deserves a lot better run then this.

It's doing great considering how mediocre of a movie it is. WB did a hell of a job with the marketing campaign to sucker enough of us into seeing it on opening weekend to the tune of $93m.

• Like 1

It's doing great considering how mediocre of a movie it is. WB did a hell of a job with the marketing campaign to sucker enough of us into seeing it on opening weekend to the tune of $93m.

Exactly. Judging on the OW, it's performing horribly, but I never thought it stood a real chance at doing more than 230. WB just hit this one out of the park with the marketing. Makes me wonder if they didn't have a good idea of the reception and realized they had no other choice than to push the marketing and blow their load on the OW.

• Like 1

Ssshhhhh!

I'd love it to hit 500, but 450 is more realistic - and absolutely sensational, considering that those are the top numbers WW for the franchise right now. 

Edited by reddevil18