Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

Hey guys, I normally don't do this, but I gotta ask you (since it won the weekend, someone on here must have seen it): is The Fault of our Stars worthwhile?  My wife and I are looking for a movie to see today and we didn't even know this one existed.  It has perked our interest do to its winning of the weekend, but if anyone can give us a simple synopsis, it'd be appreciated.

To be honest, Tele, I don't really think any of them were. I know that FROZEN, TITANIC, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, CATCHING FIRE, GRAVITY, etc were not just watched by women or mostly by women. It just pisses me off that the media has this unwritten rule about films with female protagonists (or substantial female roles that may or may not save the day): if a woman stars in a film, it will only attract women. That taps right into society's male fears about being caught enjoying anything that is seen as “girly," lest they be deemed gay or sissies or whatever. That's why you won't see many guys admitting that they did like Titanic or Frozen. But women won't have any problems saying that they loved Transformers or Expendables or the latest Marvel superhero sausage-fest.

Exactly.  So how we get Hollywood to stop making dumb rom-com sitcom movies like "The Other Woman"?  It didn't pass The Bechdel Test and will end up making 84 million domestic and 190 million globally, with females making up the majority of the movie audience.  It just made a big profit on its 35 million dollar budget, so that means they will keep getting made.  More ladies need to refuse to see those kinds of movies, and instead focus on the quality ones that are made starring women.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I normally don't do this, but I gotta ask you (since it won the weekend, someone on here must have seen it): is The Fault of our Stars worthwhile?  My wife and I are looking for a movie to see today and we didn't even know this one existed.  It has perked our interest do to its winning of the weekend, but if anyone can give us a simple synopsis, it'd be appreciated.

Cancer romantic drama. See EOT if you want some fun. Not to say TFIOS mightn't be good.

Exactly.  So how we get Hollywood to stop making dumb rom-com sitcom movies like "The Other Woman"?  It didn't pass The Bechdel Test and will end up making 84 million domestic and 190 million globally, with females making up the majority of the movie audience.  It just made a big profit on its 35 million dollar budget, so that means they will keep getting made.  More ladies need to refuse to see those kinds of movies, and instead focus on the quality ones that are made starring women.

One movie passing or not passing the Bechdel test means nothing.
  • Like 2