Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

With EoT barely making 30 m, I have a feeling JA would've opened in the teens.Crisis averted?

I think early 20s I believe. That's another one Wb failed to give a good trailer too. Marketing is everything. The movie could be shit but if that trailer made it look like event movie of the year the GA would flock to it like there is no tomorrow. Trailer back in the days made everything like event especially sci but now it's like eh. "You can watch it if you want" only comic movies seems to get them Edited by Dragon
  • Like 1

So I guess we have the answer to "How much can social media buzz help a movie?". To a decent amount, but not to an overwhelming amount. It will get the target audience in theaters on opening day for sure, beyond that the movie needs to sustain by itself. 23-24M is a good opening, but after a 8.2 midnights, the actual Friday number is lower than expected.

i don't think it can get 16m unless it goes up on friday.  x3 made 16m with 4.96m on fri.

even with better saturday, i see dofp at 4.5 + 6.53(+45%) + 4.44(-32%) = 15.47m

Deadline's multiplier looks generous to me as well - last weeks was 3.46 which would mean $15.57

X-Men  :sadno:

EDIT:: Oh, it's Deadline. Fucking hell I was scared. Well, I still am, but glad to know it's probably greatly inaccurate. 

Edited by Mango

Frankly the only reason I will watch EoT is how much praise it has received here and both the user and critic score on RT being too high. Before folks here mentioned how good it was and had good humor, I was going to skip it.

• Like 2

I think early 20s I believe. That's another one Wb failed to give a good trailer too.Marketing is everything. The movie could be shit but if that trailer made it look like event movie of the year the GA would flock to it like there is no tomorrow.Trailer back in the days made everything like event especially sci but now it's like eh. "You can watch it if you want" only comic movies seems to get them

The "Into the storm" trailer looked really good on the big screen. If WB can string together a really good marketing campaign for it with plenty of money shots, I think it can open well, maybe even 30-40M if they get the marketing right.

• Like 2

I figured FIOS would end up around 25m for Friday. As I said, it's gonna be ultra frontloaded. A 45%+ drop tomorrow wouldn't surprise me.

Too bad for EOT, but hardly surprising. That marketing was just atrocious. The movie will live or die by its legs.

Don't even wanna talk about DOFP  holds anymore. So damn disappointing. :unsure:

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Frankly the only reason I will watch EoT is how much praise it has received here and both the user and critic score on RT being too high. Before folks here mentioned how good it was and had good humor, I was going to skip it.

You won't regret it. The humor really couldn't have been shown in the trailer to be fair, a lot of it is situational.

• Like 1

Are they usually inaccurate?

Deadline typically lands in a close-ish range but are very rarely spot on. Honestly I'm pretty sure Deadline is mainly guesstimates. 

The big stars of the 90's (Cruise, Will) have barely any of their former star power.And remakes from the 80's /90's mostly flop.Is nostalgia over-valued by Hollywood?

Star power is no longer the main driver for 90+% of films - it's all about the concept - and the concepts that seem to sell are well known brands.

Angelina's star persona as an actress matched up with Maleficent and Disney knows how to sell live action fairy tell re imaginations (pity they aren't as good at making them as they are animated one) and the trailers looked great = $$$

Cruise showed with MI4 he can still sell in the right brand. And as star he gives a floor - the movie is going to under perform but it won't be an outright bomb like Jupiter might have been.

Overseas though still buys into established star power more than the U.S. -  even Stateside bombs by Arnold and Sly make decent money overseas for the most part.

Edited by TalismanRing

no, they are pretty good with numbers. at least the daily estimates if not the multipliers.

It's a bit more of a crap shoot the further you get away from the top 3 though.

• Like 1

It's a bit more of a crap shoot the further you get away from the top 3 though.

Exactly. Deadline is typically passable with the bigger numbers, but the further down on the list you get, the more off they are.